Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic Sedan, 2018 Black CTR
Country flag
Hello Honda Fam!

Last night I picked up delivery of my new Black CTR:nixon:

Having 2 vehicles and only 1 designated parking spot where I reside... I decided to drive to work and park my new ride in our patrolled multi level parking lot. Before leaving, I wanted to see what the engine looked like in person (popped the latch under steering well, popped the small tab to release hood, placed hood latch to support hood and admired the engine for a few minutes)

**Now, when closing the hood I can only get it to rest on latch, not click down seated completely. For reference: I'm a boxer, I lift weights, and I know the difference between slamming a hood (ouch!) and letting it drop from a safe distance with safely applied pressure.** I'm hesitant to drive the vehicle in bay area traffic back to a separate Honda dealership (bought out of state in WI fyi) for hood latch inspection as I hear the hood is thin.

Anybody else have issues with front hood latch? Or am I missing something?
Thanks for all your input **posting video clip shortly if no quick resolution**
Sponsored

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
I had this issue on a Sport hatchback after dealer service once. We ended up adjusting the latch. You'll want to raise it a hair. Two bolts, easy to do. Small adjustments go a long way.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
The hood is aluminum an takes a little effort... or just let’s it go from about a foot to a foot an a 1/2 from latch should shut mine is same way I complained about that when I looked at the car took me 3 times to get it to shut an I told sales man I feel like I am going to break the thing he said it takes a little more effort idk try raising it up an letting her go she if she shuts

OP
OP
koochieman

koochieman

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Civic Sedan, 2018 Black CTR
Country flag
Alright guys... It did close! I did have to put some muscle pressing down directly underneath where the latch is positioned.

destination trip from Wisconsin to California on a open bed truck it got a lot of dust and debry on the front end, I put a little grease under the latch to let it slide into place better will see going forward it latches more smoothly.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It just doesn’t have enough weight for latch... like 9000rpm said an I... hoods gotta be over a foot from the latch she will shut just takes getting use to... I have a GTR theres 2 latches on each end of the hood that took getting use to for a while sometimes it would only latch the one side of not shut hard enough hood is aluminum on the GTR also.. just the nature of light body parts

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have been letting it fall from more than 1ft from latch in order for it to close properly

However 2 days ago On the highway, when I reached about 115 mph, the hood popped open to the position before you unlatch and I got real scared. I pulled into the emergency lane and shut it again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like the air getting under the intake hood scoop and the scoop in the center of the hood is what caused it to pop open. My fear is that sucker unlatching when I am at that speed and the entire hood slamming up against the windshield or even worse detatching from the hinge.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I have been letting it fall from more than 1ft from latch in order for it to close properly

However 2 days ago On the highway, when I reached about 115 mph, the hood popped open to the position before you unlatch and I got real scared. I pulled into the emergency lane and shut it again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like the air getting under the intake hood scoop and the scoop in the center of the hood is what caused it to pop open. My fear is that sucker unlatching when I am at that speed and the entire hood slamming up against the windshield or even worse detatching from the hinge.
Which highway in FL has a 115mph speed limit?

Joking aside, my guess would be that it either wasn't fully latched or your hood latch is defective. Maybe have the dealership look at it.

Deleted member

I've read that the hood is actually used to produce down force so it does need to be very secure. I'd have your dealer check it out.

Xsn-2k19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Civic, NSX, Fz07
Country flag
My hood won’t close either. It doesn’t click. There’s a wire that plugs in to the latch and mine was ripped out. Could that cause it? I might order a new latch from the dealer tomorrow and see if it locks

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
When I was picking up my Type R, I was playing in the showroom and popped the hood of an SI. I tried to latch it closed by closing it like I did any car, and pushing it shut. Before I could push it shut, a salesperson stopped me and told me that's not how you do it. He insisted that you lift it up a a few inches and let gravity close it shut and if you push on it (latch it then push it closed like with what I tended to do) you'd bend the hood.

WhiteCastleKid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Me too, greased up the latch loop on the hood, much better. Scared to drop it from more than 18” but now at about 8” it closes,

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the thin metal on these an some other cars if you try an press where the hood latch is it will put creases in the hood there around the latch... notice when you wash the roof feels like your pushing on a pop can lol

aldksgo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 R-24920, '14 FB2, '10 Impreza 2.5i
Country flag
Old thread but.. I don't have this exact problem however something similar with closing the hood.

I've noticed from the very few times I have opened the hood, closing it normal from a drop does not work like every other hood I've ever popped open. For my CTR I have to press down on it to click. Anyone else with this issue? Guessing after the winter I've gotta take it to the dealership or something as it's most likely a quick fix, but if it's something I can do at home I'm all ears.
Sponsored