Front grille coming apart.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just recently saw a sonic grey pearl hatch and the grille was pretty bad. i noticed it from a few feet away. i shoulda took a pic
Sponsored

Koolie

First Name
Christian Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017 EX
Country flag
I just recently saw a sonic grey pearl hatch and the grille was pretty bad. i noticed it from a few feet away. i shoulda took a pic
I am planning to go to the dealer who sold me the car. I bet i would a few that would have that issue.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Just in general, was anyone able to figure out a fix without replacing the bumper completely? and what is the cause of this?

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took apart my bumper to replace it for a black one and I have that same issue too. Looks like the tabs from the bumper itself are flimsy so they don't hold in the grille in place.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its not an isolated issue. Honda engineers are looking at it now.

Heres mine
20170703_163125.jpg
Just wondering if you were able to get any new info from Honda on this problem? Thanks.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, my service advisor emailed me, replacing the entire grill trims, clips, etc did NOT fix the problem. So its still under R&D
Good to know it's being looked at.

DMP84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, my service advisor emailed me, replacing the entire grill trims, clips, etc did NOT fix the problem. So its still under R&D
Unfortunately not surprised. At the moment mine is not too bad but any worse I'm taking the bumper off and giving 3m double sided tape a shot

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
Unfortunately not surprised. At the moment mine is not too bad but any worse I'm taking the bumper off and giving 3m double sided tape a shot
Try this: I used a heat gun (VERY CAREFULLY) to slightly bend the black tabs to overlap the bumper cover. The nubs on the bumper cover were barely present on my car when I got it.
So with the bumper off, remove the grille from the bumper cover, and use a very light amount of heat from a heat gun. Bend the tab just a little bit so it will catch on the bumper cover (where the nub should be) THIS IS AN ART. YOU CAN MELT YOUR PARTS/GRILLE IN A SECOND IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!! You only need to bend the tab a small amount.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. BumperISSUE

Original way from Honda, would never catch at all. Bumper cover too thin to hold it's shape. Nubs bent backwards/rubbed down. Bend the thin section upwards into the slot/gap with your fingers with the grille off.
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. BumperISSUE2

You can see in the black grille area, a recessed area for the bumper cover to deform into, ...so it does because it's so thin.

Added 2 more pictures so you can see more of how the front bumper/grille area is assembled. It's the 6 tabs at the top of the grille that can't stay latched to the bumper cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. Grillebumper

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. Grillebumpersideangle

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try this: I used a heat gun (VERY CAREFULLY) to slightly bend the black tabs to overlap the bumper cover. The nubs on the bumper cover were barely present on my car when I got it.
So with the bumper off, remove the grille and use a very light amount of heat from a heat gun and bend the tab just a little bit so it will catch on the bumper cover (where the nub should be) THIS IS AN ART. YOU CAN MELT YOUR PARTS/GRILLE IN A SECOND IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS!!!

BumperISSUE.jpg

Original way from Honda, would never catch at all. Bumper cover too thin to hold it's shape. Nubs bent backwards/rubbed down. Bend the thin section upwards into the slot/gap with your fingers with the grille off.
BumperISSUE2.jpg

You can see in the black grille area, a recessed area for the bumper cover to deform into, ...so it does because it's so thin.
Great suggestion. I'll try this later when it cools off here

Koolie

First Name
Christian Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017 EX
Country flag
I just came from the dealership and they will order the bumper and paint it then they will call me to have mine replaced. They the bumper clips were broken. They noticed that the car was pristine and so they will cover it under warranty.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
Noticed the same issue on mine as well. Very poor design on Honda's part, but they better fix this for me. I'm already bringing my car in next weekend to get my steering wheel straightened out and sun visor clips are lose, I'm having them take a look at this too on mine.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
UPDATE!! Just got done talking to our head tech at my dealership. He said that Honda is aware of the problem, they had multiple vehicles coming in with the same issue. It has been sent up to Honda Engineering for them to figure out, until then Honda told them to do whatever they can to fix it for now until the official fix is available.
Is there a trackable case number for this issue just so the rest of us who speak to our dealers can reference to? Just so dealers who aren't aware of the issue can recognize that this is not an isolated issue.

hydensiq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
I went to the dealership today, Looked at multiple civics on the lot. most of them have the same issue. So the dealerships here in Ontario seem to just point and say "hey, see they are all like that" -__- hope honda will fix this and Honda Canada will catch up on the damn Service bulletins on the Grinding noise at start just to add.

Oh ya, almost forgot. They had a Type R on display. SAME ISSUE WITH THE GRILL BUMPER PART! had a Sold sticker on it. If i was that guy. I'd be pissed. X2 the price, still will have same issue as us. I think they need to update the design on the clips.
Sponsored