First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, got mine back today and after a ten minute drive down the road, it looked just like when I took it in two days ago. Drove right back, and the guy in the auto body department agreed they are gonna have to replace the bumper and grill after all. He showed me that the bumper is falling towards the ground and causing the stress that's making the grill pop out. THEN, the freaking service manager comes over there telling me that the problem is acceptable, there are always going to be issues and gaps and if they replace it, it might not fit right on the other side. Tells me it would pass their pre sale inspection, bla bla bla. I cussed him out and told him bull shit,that they are gonna fix it. He is the jerk that led to me getting my car bought back and I've had lots of issues with him.
He comes back and says his Honda rep won't autorize them to replace anything, they want them to take a bumper and grill off another brand new civic and fit it to my car and see if it fits any better. SMH.
So, I've had this car a week and two days and its it's in the shop for three days already and they want it back next week again. This isn't some intermitent issue they can't duplicate, its plain as day in their face and the best they can say is that its acceptable for a brand new car to look like that??
Sponsored

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Rick it sucks.
I don't think this issue will ever be fixed unless enough people complain to Honda.
It seems clear that it needs a redesign, or some additional way of attaching the grill/bumper on.
No dealer will correct the problem as they are all using the same parts that are already on the cars.
I don't think they would do a recall, but maybe put out a TSB if there are enough complaints.
I'm not sure where to complain to, but someone should start a petition or something and have it sent to Honda.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Rick it sucks.
I don't think this issue will ever be fixed unless enough people complain to Honda.
It seems clear that it needs a redesign, or some additional way of attaching the grill/bumper on.
No dealer will correct the problem as they are all using the same parts that are already on the cars.
I don't think they would do a recall, but maybe put out a TSB if there are enough complaints.
I'm not sure where to complain to, but someone should start a petition or something and have it sent to Honda.
The body shop guy was in the middle of saying something to me about a TSB when the service manager came over running his mouth. The thing is, with all the issues my first civic had, this wasn't one of them. This is weird and I just noticed it today, but mine seems affected by the heat of the engine, pops put further when its hot, goes back in even it cools down. Anyone else notice that? I can literally see the one piece of the grill hooked to the bumper by the tab pulling the bumper and the tab out,in other words the tab is there,just pulling out with the grill like its ready to break off the bumper. The piece coming off closest to the eyebrow has no tab there at all.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
I could see it being affected by heat. My car has only a slight separation of one eyebrow on the driver's side.
Too bad you didn't find out more on the TSB, maybe next time you are there you could inquire about it.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The piece coming off closest to the eyebrow has no tab there at all.
Its just a matter of time before other tabs break off... bad design that's pretty much unfixable short of a total redesign of the car. As long as they're still selling the Civic in these quantities, Honda is going to continue their penny pinching and not worry about the little flaws that doesn't affect sales.

TonyG-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is currently in the shop for the same issue, but I didn't have any push-back from them whatsoever . I took it in one day, they took pictures, and a few days later they called to let me know Honda approved them to replace the whole bumper. I think they are even replacing the grille

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is currently in the shop for the same issue, but I didn't have any push-back from them whatsoever . I took it in one day, they took pictures, and a few days later they called to let me know Honda approved them to replace the whole bumper. I think they are even replacing the grille
See , this is the way it should be at every dealer. Honda knows this is an issue and for any of us to have to hear any crap and have stuff refused is ridiculous. This particular dealer sucks and the ONLY reason im dealing with them is cause I had no choice due to the buy back procedure. I also figured that since this issue was present the day I picked up the car, there wouldn't be any problem getting it fixed. I was HORRIBLY wrong.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, this goes to show what a bunch of idiots work at this particular dealership I'm dealing with. Two days and they couldn't/didn't fix it.
I looked at it for two minutes myself and problem solved,at least 95 % of it.
Sorry I didnt take pics but it went so fast I didn't think about it. I'm not saying all you guys have the same exact thing,but its worth a try to look. Mine was mostly popping out where the last clip is on the grill, and the last tab over on the bumper as in the pic.
I popped off the plastic cover after lifting the hood,and removed the clips holding on the rubber strip. At that point, I slightly lifted the corner of the bumper right where that tab on the grill was and could see the tab on the bumper looking from the engine compartment out,rolled up so far that it wouldn't go into the grill. I thought for sure it would break when I pushed it back, but it didn't it clicked right into the grill and I cant pull it out now. The middle piece still looks warped but now with the end hooked in, its barely noticeable.
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_20180926_100158

nrtphotos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
Ok, this goes to show what a bunch of idiots work at this particular dealership I'm dealing with. Two days and they couldn't/didn't fix it.
I looked at it for two minutes myself and problem solved,at least 95 % of it.
Sorry I didnt take pics but it went so fast I didn't think about it. I'm not saying all you guys have the same exact thing,but its worth a try to look. Mine was mostly popping out where the last clip is on the grill, and the last tab over on the bumper as in the pic.
I popped off the plastic cover after lifting the hood,and removed the clips holding on the rubber strip. At that point, I slightly lifted the corner of the bumper right where that tab on the grill was and could see the tab on the bumper looking from the engine compartment out,rolled up so far that it wouldn't go into the grill. I thought for sure it would break when I pushed it back, but it didn't it clicked right into the grill and I cant pull it out now. The middle piece still looks warped but now with the end hooked in, its barely noticeable.
IMG_20180926_100158.jpg
Can you elaborate or give a better explanation as to what you did here? I have a similar issue on my DX and would love to fix it without painting the bumper. I can’t quite follow what you did here.

Thanks!

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you elaborate or give a better explanation as to what you did here? I have a similar issue on my DX and would love to fix it without painting the bumper. I can’t quite follow what you did here.

Thanks!
Yea, it was hard to explain, I tried to get a pic, but the space is so tight, I couldn't get the phone in there. Its pouring right now,so I can't video , but look at this picture of the bumper.
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 306929_05
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 306929_05

Notice the last tab is coming down from the top not from the bottom. If you remove the bulkhead cover, the plastic piece that the hood latch pops up through, then pop the rubber strip off that's under that, you can lift the bumper up and see if that tab is there or not. Mine was bent,I pushed it with a screwdriver while pushing in on the grill and it popped right in. If you still aren't sure what im talking about,pm me and ill try and video it for you when it isnt raining.

nrtphotos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
Yea, it was hard to explain, I tried to get a pic, but the space is so tight, I couldn't get the phone in there. Its pouring right now,so I can't video , but look at this picture of the bumper.
306929_05.jpg
306929_05.jpg

Notice the last tab is coming down from the top not from the bottom. If you remove the bulkhead cover, the plastic piece that the hood latch pops up through, then pop the rubber strip off that's under that, you can lift the bumper up and see if that tab is there or not. Mine was bent,I pushed it with a screwdriver while pushing in on the grill and it popped right in. If you still aren't sure what im talking about,pm me and ill try and video it for you when it isnt raining.
I think I understand but yeah if you can either get a picture or video it would probably help all of us out a lot!

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok guys, sorry I didn't have time to actually pull this apart,but I don't think anyone will have any issues after seeing the video.
My tab was very visible and bent in, if you guys have a darker color, you may have to Use a flashlight to see yours.

nrtphotos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic DX
Country flag
Ok guys, sorry I didn't have time to actually pull this apart,but I don't think anyone will have any issues after seeing the video.
My tab was very visible and bent in, if you guys have a darker color, you may have to Use a flashlight to see yours.
My man! Thanks! I will check this out on mine ASAP.