First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't recall bumper being one of the parts listed. I did see grille, emblem, hardware, and possibly the piece between the grille and hood on the "invoice".
I'm pretty sure the piece between the hood and grill is actually the Front bumper.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm noticing in all these pics and on my car as well, that the grill is always popping out on the drivers side. Has anyone had it on the passenger side?
Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. IMG_20180926_100158

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I started thinking about the logic behind that piece, and I believe you are correct. I will look at the invoice again.
That piece is the culprit, and unfortunately it’s part of the bumper. I’m starting to think that one should able to replace just the piece by cutting off the piece and attaching the new piece on existing bumper only if that piece is sold separately.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. CB14DC4E-86AA-4393-BD10-F5A091ACCB41

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Dealership could not fix it with the trim pieces and hardware they ordered. I had a feeling that was going to be the case based off what you guys were saying. They ordered a prepainted bumper and I will have to bring it back in to have it replaced. Kind of annoying, but it happens.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dealership could not fix it with the trim pieces and hardware they ordered. I had a feeling that was going to be the case based off what you guys were saying. They ordered a prepainted bumper and I will have to bring it back in to have it replaced. Kind of annoying, but it happens.
Those 6 little retaining tabs in the bumper are the culprit, not the grill.
Nothing is holding the grill once these tiny retaining tabs are broken or stressed, and it's gonna happen again and again. My new bumper is one month old, and it's starting to develop the annoying gap at the middle.

The permanent fix is finding a way, cable tie for instance, to secure the grill close to the bumper where the piece meets the grill.

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. i-img1200x802-1536832108hvtax0854067

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. i-img1200x802-15368321067kunnm403722

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
^^^Great pics!
Now I can totally see what the issue is.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
In my car I have since January it is not separating. Yet.
If and when it does, I will remove the banpa and then glue the guriru to it permanently. While at it, I might also install fog light protection and a 150 dB train horn eardrums buster (NOT).

Removing the banpa face seems fast and easy. Seems like it takes dealer's body shops "2 hours, or 4 hours on Saturday" or a week including painting:

I say young Honda engineer Fuyuko Banpashita (バンパ下 冬子) screwed up the attachment of the guriru to the banpa. Actually it seems like the lack of understanding of the properties of thermoplastic polymers is quite common among automotive engineers. And for this reason popping out parts are normal in "mass produced cars". It is what it is and Honda/dealers won't care enough to really fix it and I won't care enough to fight them.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The build of the current civic is so bad that even the one shown in the brochure has huge gap between the lower grill and bumper.

I have the exact same problem at the same spot when I collected the car new from dealership.

View attachment 117253

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 0F3BB5E1-BB92-4937-929E-522AE5BF372A

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. 00375068-B99A-49EC-8BC7-AC2750D2577B

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is actually bugging me,lol
I know the issue is that the tab on the bumper breaks off and doesn't hold the grill, but I keep thinking that the grill,at least in my case, is warped or something putting pressure on that tab causing it to break. On mine, it isn't just sitting there loose, you have to forcibly push it in and it just doesn't want to go,pops right back out.
IF That is the case and they keep replacing the bumper only, it would explain why it keeps happening after they fix it.
I have to take mine in next Wed for them to replace the bumper, but I'll be asking a ton of questions.

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
This is actually bugging me,lol
I know the issue is that the tab on the bumper breaks off and doesn't hold the grill, but I keep thinking that the grill,at least in my case, is warped or something putting pressure on that tab causing it to break. On mine, it isn't just sitting there loose, you have to forcibly push it in and it just doesn't want to go,pops right back out.
IF That is the case and they keep replacing the bumper only, it would explain why it keeps happening after they fix it.
I have to take mine in next Wed for them to replace the bumper, but I'll be asking a ton of questions.

I am totally with you on this. I go in on Monday again to get the bumper replaced. The dealer said this is the first time they have heard of this issue.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am totally with you on this. I go in on Monday again to get the bumper replaced. The dealer said this is the first time they have heard of this issue.
They had it last week and told me the bumper needed replacing, and scheduled me for today. Two hours after I dropped it off, they call me and ask why my car is there, then they don't call me all day, and when I call an hour before they close, they tell me they are just now LOOKING at it,and have NO idea about replacing the bumper. I was ticked to say the least. They claim they can fix it without replacing the bumper, but they said last week that the tab was broke off. I'm so done with honda after this car :(

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The only way for Honda to fix this issue properly would be to design some metal reinforcement for these holes in the upper bumper face. This could be one steel tape attached along the edge with holes or separate inserts for each hole. (there are in total 8 holes, but the side ones seem to work OK for the eyebrows).
Designing and fabricating this would cost very little and could be contracted with a small business. I would do it if I was Honda, because when the car exterior falls apart it really hurts the reputation of the manufacturer and it doesn't matter how great everything else may be.

I had a Mazda minivan with breaking off ABS door handles one after another. This was the only issue I had with this car. But when I needed cars for myself and for my daughter, I did not look at Mazda.

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The only way for Honda to fix this issue properly would be to design some metal reinforcement for these holes in the upper bumper face. This could be one steel tape attached along the edge with holes or separate inserts for each hole. (there are in total 8 holes, but the side ones seem to work OK for the eyebrows).
Designing and fabricating this would cost very little and could be contracted with a small business. I would do it if I was Honda, because when the car exterior falls apart it really hurts the reputation of the manufacturer and it doesn't matter how great everything else may be.

I had a Mazda minivan with breaking off ABS door handles one after another. This was the only issue I had with this car. But when I needed cars for myself and for my daughter, I did not look at Mazda.

I would hope they are trying to do something, but my guess is there is too small of a percentage that are coming back to the dealer with this problem. I may be mistaken though.

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
This is the sort of thing that will likely only get fixed if it gets negative media attention. Doubtful a cosmetic issue would, especially if our grills aren’t falling off.
Sponsored