hpacura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex
Country flag
Not sure what consumers can do. I also wonder if the '19 refresh was used to rid them of this problem without having to acknowledge it.
Continue to take the vehicle back to your dealer. Don't give up and don't live with these defects. After a certain amount of repair attempts demand a replacement or a buyback. Talk to a lemon law attorney in your area. Most attorneys wont charge unless you win and legal fees will be included in the lawsuit. Stop and talk to every civic owner you encounter and educate them about this issue. Demand a 2019 civic since that's the official fix for these defects. Honda has been aware of these defects for years and has done nothing.
Sponsored

Chupacabra519

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport (ABM)
Country flag
Continue to take the vehicle back to your dealer. Don't give up and don't live with these defects. After a certain amount of repair attempts demand a replacement or a buyback. Talk to a lemon law attorney in your area. Most attorneys wont charge unless you win and legal fees will be included in the lawsuit. Stop and talk to every civic owner you encounter and educate them about this issue. Demand a 2019 civic since that's the official fix for these defects. Honda has been aware of these defects for years and has done nothing.

Lemon law doesn’t apply for those of us in Canada.

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Without seeing a 2019 Honda Civic, I am not convinced that they changed the design. It’s a cheap front end grille/bumper assembly. Does a lemon law cover a fit and finish issue? This is different than say a piston ring defect...

hpacura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex
Country flag
Without seeing a 2019 Honda Civic, I am not convinced that they changed the design. It’s a cheap front end grille/bumper assembly. Does a lemon law cover a fit and finish issue? This is different than say a piston ring defect...

You'll have to check with your state. In mine it does qualify. The law states any defect or condition that impairs the market value of the vehicle after a reasonable amount of repair attempts.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Design may not appear different on the outside, but could be on the inside. Have to wait till someone looks at or buys a ‘19.
And yeah, Canada has squat for lemon laws. :(

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
‘19 Model doesn’t seem to have any big changes, but waiting to see one on the street. ‘16-18 models are real fragile.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whelp, I just noticed yesterday my trim piece is coming apart again. I just had the whole bumper replaced in early July. I guess I will have to call the dealer and set up the same arrangement again.

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Mine has stayed ok since the end of May, but we driven it maybe 500 miles since then and it’s always garaged.

BklynBoy55

Since '84 CRX, Civic Wagon, Accord, CRV & Civic
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
First let me thank all of the members of the forum who posted and added information because after reading these postings I was curious enough to look at my 2017 Hatchback and sure enough there was a gap in the front grill. I had to make an appointment to get my oil changed and asked the service manager to come out to vehicle and pointed it out to him. Initially we had an obvious difference of opinion about it and then he said that he has "only seen 2-3 of them" and that it wasn't widespread. He added that when I came in for an oil change the next day he would have someone in the shop look at it.
Today I went in for my oil change and was waiting for car to be taken into the shop when he came out and said to me that "We ordered you a grill yesterday so come back on Friday (this week) and we will fix it for you. So it appears that without further analysis (yesterday) the dealership had already ordered the part. I will add to my post after it is "repaired".
Let me add some additional information which may or may not be pertinent. I've been a customer of this dealership for about 18 years now. I think I am a pretty reasonable customer (even when a mechanic put my 2000 CRV into a steel pole) and have been treated well. Still after my difference of opinion with the service manager and I telling him that this issue is all over the web I was only a bit surprised that the dealership ordered the necessary part(s) without any further examination. Therefore I have to believe that the issue with the grill is more widespread and more known to Honda then I was told. Of course this is just conjecture on my part but I know that this is being fixed under warranty.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I put xpel full front coverage as soon as I got the car. The only official fix it a whole new bumper cover and they say no guarantees it won't happen again and they won't replace the bumper film I had put on so I'm stuck as is pretty much. One guy did a self fix and it held up great for months now but it involves taking off the bumper and using a heat gun to change the shape of the black tabs to catch the back of the bumper. His photos attached

IMG_5595.JPG
I have seen people fixing the gap between bumper and grille by using fishing line to pull the retaining tabs on the grille closer to the bumper, and tight the other end of the fishing line at the self taping screws below the grille.

Wish I took the pictures, but you get the idea.

JOEG_FK7

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been experiencing the same issues with my 2017 civic HB sport touring....
I have been back and forth with the dealer I purchased the car from and every time I get my car back something else is wrong.
Has anyone have had any luck with the bumper gap issue? I simply went to get my grill fixed and now I have these gaps like @hpacura has in the images above. They said they replaced all the retainers and what not but I still have these gaps. I have contacted Honda North America and have been speaking with the regional manager but still nothing....
Any luck? Any solution? I am so ready to just call it a lemon and lawyer up.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately, the gap in the front will occur again due to poor design. A good Honda service shop will replace the front bumper under warranty and, hopefully, pay for your car rental. My Honda service shop ordered the whole front bumper, sent it to a local paint shop to get it painted, and once that was done, they set up an appointment where I dropped off my car and the dealer paid for a one day rental. I had my car back by 4:30 pm. It has started to come apart again so I will have to go in and have them replace under warranty.

hpacura

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and have been experiencing the same issues with my 2017 civic HB sport touring....
I have been back and forth with the dealer I purchased the car from and every time I get my car back something else is wrong.
Has anyone have had any luck with the bumper gap issue? I simply went to get my grill fixed and now I have these gaps like @hpacura has in the images above. They said they replaced all the retainers and what not but I still have these gaps. I have contacted Honda North America and have been speaking with the regional manager but still nothing....
Any luck? Any solution? I am so ready to just call it a lemon and lawyer up.

Don't give up and keep taking it back to the dealer if the car is not correct. It may be beneficial for you to speak with an attorney to see what options you may have. My car also keeps getting worse after each failed repair attempt. My car is 4 months old. Here is the most recent failed repair:

Unclipped grille and now a paint mismatch

Top of bumper is taller than the bottom of the hood

Body shop decided they should add extra clips to try and hold onto the grille.

Last edited:

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't give up and keep taking it back to the dealer if the car is not correct. It may be beneficial for you to speak with an attorney to see what options you may have. My car also keeps getting worse after each failed repair attempt. Here is my most recent failed repair:

Honda Civic 10th gen Front grille coming apart. {filename}

Images don't work.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't give up and keep taking it back to the dealer if the car is not correct. It may be beneficial for you to speak with an attorney to see what options you may have. My car also keeps getting worse after each failed repair attempt. My car is 4 months old. Here is the most recent failed repair:

That looks pretty bad. My bumper was taller than the hood when I get the car brand new, and I fixed it myself by raising the hood support rubber to make the hood sits higher. It looks like the upper part of the bumper is forced in an awkward position in your case.

The clip in the headlight is definitely unnecessary unless they broke the clip in the "eyebrow" chrome piece. The eyebrow strips should fit into the grill snugly if everything is intact.
Sponsored