Front Bumper coming loose on passenger side

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue on my 2016 exl coupe. (Passenger side). Brought it to the dealer a week after I bought it in June. Looked at it upon completion of service at the dealership and it looked like it had been corrected. After driving back home (30 miles away) it had popped back out. I called them immediately and they asked me to bring it back in. I advised them that I couldn't but was willing to bring it back when I needed my first scheduled maintenance (A1) and they agreed that would be fine. I am currently now sitting at the dealership. I advised I love the car and performance so far and really interested in the SI when I spoke with the service employee that checked me in. He said that he will be having the body shop fix it. FINGERS CROSSED XXXXXXX. I paid MSRP and I expect MSRP service (I know I know). Sorry if that sounded petty.
UPDATE: Still enjoying the climate controlled lounge area that's providing tv viewing and cold bottled water. Fingers still crossed.
Sponsored

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the car back. Bumper appeared to be fixed. When I entered the car after paying for my oil and tire rotation I noticed on my maintenance minder where it at th A1 alert there was an A. I walked back in and talked with the service employee and told him and he came out to inspect. He wasn't sure why the A was on there and called out a tech. The tech was not sure what the issue was as well. The service employee said that he was going to contact investigate and call me when he had an answer. I was approx 25 miles away when he calls me and said that it was determined that they needed to do a manual reset of the system and if I could come back later this week. Due to the hours I work and needing to be available at the drop of a hat I told him that I perfered to turn around and get it fixed today in which he said that it would be ok. I arrived back and he greeted me with a coupon for my next oil and filter for free and said he would be back with me shortly. Currently sitting back in the lounge area but this time the bottled water is warm (whaa whaa)...

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got the car back. Bumper appeared to be fixed. When I entered the car after paying for my oil and tire rotation I noticed on my maintenance minder where it at th A1 alert there was an A. I walked back in and talked with the service employee and told him and he came out to inspect. He wasn't sure why the A was on there and called out a tech. The tech was not sure what the issue was as well. The service employee said that he was going to contact investigate and call me when he had an answer. I was approx 25 miles away when he calls me and said that it was determined that they needed to do a manual reset of the system and if I could come back later this week. Due to the hours I work and needing to be available at the drop of a hat I told him that I perfered to turn around and get it fixed today in which he said that it would be ok. I arrived back and he greeted me with a coupon for my next oil and filter for free and said he would be back with me shortly. Currently sitting back in the lounge area but this time the bottled water is warm (whaa whaa)...
Bad service, if they don't know about resetting the MM

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my Honda in and they said it was because I hit something and took a photo of two impact points. I haven't hit anything. I have yet to receive the photo and haven't had time to look under the car myself, but will update once I do.
Dont mean someone didn't hit you

jstone800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Bad service, if they don't know about resetting the MM
Their excuse was that it's such a new car and they haven't had many in for service. This is one of the bigger Honda dealerships in Tulsa OK (commercials on tv and radio ads all the time).... Odometer read 7989 miles when the 15% light came on which actually came on on my way to the dealership this morning for service!

SDACosmicBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan
I have had my mine in twice, soon to be 3 times. Dealer ordered a "beam" replaced it. Bumper still not fixed. Took it back. Looked fine when I picked it up. Got it home, bumper was popped out again. Waiting to hear back from the service advisor.

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
I have the same issue on my 2016 exl coupe. (Passenger side). Brought it to the dealer a week after I bought it in June. Looked at it upon completion of service at the dealership and it looked like it had been corrected. After driving back home (30 miles away) it had popped back out. I called them immediately and they asked me to bring it back in. I advised them that I couldn't but was willing to bring it back when I needed my first scheduled maintenance (A1) and they agreed that would be fine. I am currently now sitting at the dealership. I advised I love the car and performance so far and really interested in the SI when I spoke with the service employee that checked me in. He said that he will be having the body shop fix it. FINGERS CROSSED XXXXXXX. I paid MSRP and I expect MSRP service (I know I know). Sorry if that sounded petty.
I had the same problem with my '17 EX, driver's side, manufactured in Indiana (2/17), probably on a Friday afternoon. Dealer just pushed it in and gave some lame explanation and eventually popped out after a few hours.
I had to repair it knowing the dealer was of no help. I removed the bumper corner by removing all the clips/bolts holding the bumper cover, except the extreme passenger side. carefully pulled away the right side of the cover to expose the two clip brackets, one along the fender and the larger one under the headlight unit. Both mounting brackets cost about $10 each. Replaced the shorter bracket along the fender but couldn't remove the larger bracket located under the headlight, too cumbersome to remove headlight, and the bracket's clips looked good. Re-fastened the bumper cover and the new bracket held the bumper cover along the fender, more secure than before. Only the corner next to the headlight seems to be a bit loose, but edge is better aligned. Were the bracket(s) damaged or out of spec ? Honda dealers may not want to perform this "costly" cosmetic repair for a car they may have made a grand on and with no warranty reimbursement why bother ?

dhaxmillion

First Name
Dax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Touring
I had the same problem with my '17 EX, driver's side, manufactured in Indiana (2/17), probably on a Friday afternoon. Dealer just pushed it in and gave some lame explanation and eventually popped out after a few hours.
I had to repair it knowing the dealer was of no help. I removed the bumper corner by removing all the clips/bolts holding the bumper cover, except the extreme passenger side. carefully pulled away the right side of the cover to expose the two clip brackets, one along the fender and the larger one under the headlight unit. Both mounting brackets cost about $10 each. Replaced the shorter bracket along the fender but couldn't remove the larger bracket located under the headlight, too cumbersome to remove headlight, and the bracket's clips looked good. Re-fastened the bumper cover and the new bracket held the bumper cover along the fender, more secure than before. Only the corner next to the headlight seems to be a bit loose, but edge is better aligned. Were the bracket(s) damaged or out of spec ? Honda dealers may not want to perform this "costly" cosmetic repair for a car they may have made a grand on and with no warranty reimbursement why bother ?
Where did you buy your parts and what part are they? I have the same issue and dealer is also giving lame excuse.

Are the parts needed below?
Spacer, L Front Bumper Side - Honda (71198-TBA-A00)
Beam, L Front Bumper (Upper) - Honda (71190-TBA-A00)

I am thinking of buying the at www.hondapartscheap.com. Please let me know and if you have any advice on how to remove the bumper.

Thanks!

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Where did you buy your parts and what part are they? I have the same issue and dealer is also giving lame excuse.

Are the parts needed below?
Spacer, L Front Bumper Side - Honda (71198-TBA-A00)
Beam, L Front Bumper (Upper) - Honda (71190-TBA-A00)

I am thinking of buying the at www.hondapartscheap.com. Please let me know and if you have any advice on how to remove the bumper.

Thanks!
Yes, those are the clips you need. Side spacer/clip (71198-TBA-A00) was the most effective in securing the corner of the bumper cover and easiest to replace. Upper spacer/clip I didn't replace since the headlight had to be removed. I assume the bumper cover tab holes are not clean during molding process or the clips were faulty. Please search youtube for a video, I remember one that a young mechanic posted that is very good, Also, buy a body molding removal kit (plastic tool set) and a push pin removal tool ( https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/...MI-J3T9u3o3QIVhkoNCh22pgJoEAQYBCABEgIb3vD_BwE). These tools beat using screw drivers. I removed most of the side that had the loose corner and left the secure side (corner/end) fastened. I checked the upper beam clip and closely compared it to the new one and felt it wasn't going to better secure the portion of the cover along the bottom of the headlight assembly. I have glanced at 10th Gen. civics in my travels and see a few with the corner edges slightly protruding, so it's not uncommon. Good Luck and don't get alarmed when you hear the cracking noise of the cover's tabs popping out of the clips.

dhaxmillion

First Name
Dax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Touring
Yes, those are the clips you need. Side spacer/clip (71198-TBA-A00) was the most effective in securing the corner of the bumper cover and easiest to replace. Upper spacer/clip I didn't replace since the headlight had to be removed. I assume the bumper cover tab holes are not clean during molding process or the clips were faulty. Please search youtube for a video, I remember one that a young mechanic posted that is very good, Also, buy a body molding removal kit (plastic tool set) and a push pin removal tool ( https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/...MI-J3T9u3o3QIVhkoNCh22pgJoEAQYBCABEgIb3vD_BwE). These tools beat using screw drivers. I removed most of the side that had the loose corner and left the secure side (corner/end) fastened. I checked the upper beam clip and closely compared it to the new one and felt it wasn't going to better secure the portion of the cover along the bottom of the headlight assembly. I have glanced at 10th Gen. civics in my travels and see a few with the corner edges slightly protruding, so it's not uncommon. Good Luck and don't get alarmed when you hear the cracking noise of the cover's tabs popping out of the clips.
Thank you for your quick reply. I'm glad I found this post. It seems like it's just a poor quality build and Honda are probably aware of it that's why they have excuses ready to use to escape the hassle of mass repairs. which is sad. I will definitely get all the tools that you recommended. Did you have to remove the entire bumper or just the side?

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
Thank you for your quick reply. I'm glad I found this post. It seems like it's just a poor quality build and Honda are probably aware of it that's why they have excuses ready to use to escape the hassle of mass repairs. which is sad. I will definitely get all the tools that you recommended. Did you have to remove the entire bumper or just the side?
Yes, Honda pumps many per shift and they pick a few from production to thoroughly check fit and finish, drivability, etc. As I stated earlier, you only need to remove the push pin fasteners past the mid portion of the front grill, enough to pull back the corner for clearance of the upper and side clips. If I remember the upper spacer/clip situated under the headlight assembly has three bolts, one bolt is located under of the headlight and fastens to the headlight, so the headlight has to be removed ? Not sure, but check the diagram and inspect the spacer carefully. Also, inspect the bumper cover tabs for clean edges and cracks, which may prevent the tabs from securely fastening into the clips.

dhaxmillion

First Name
Dax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Touring
Yes, Honda pumps many per shift and they pick a few from production to thoroughly check fit and finish, drivability, etc. As I stated earlier, you only need to remove the push pin fasteners past the mid portion of the front grill, enough to pull back the corner for clearance of the upper and side clips. If I remember the upper spacer/clip situated under the headlight assembly has three bolts, one bolt is located under of the headlight and fastens to the headlight, so the headlight has to be removed ? Not sure, but check the diagram and inspect the spacer carefully. Also, inspect the bumper cover tabs for clean edges and cracks, which may prevent the tabs from securely fastening into the clips.
Got it. Thanks for more advise. When I do it, I'll definitely take some picture in hope to help others. Right now, I'm working on another appointment with another Honda dealer to try to have them repair it under warranty.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I asked my dealer to fix mine (on the black SI) when it was being fixed from my wreck and they didnt bother to address it while the bumper was off. I traded it in and leased a blue SI and it doesnt have the same issue anymore on the bumper on the drivers side like yours. They just need to rehang the bumper and maybe replace the clips on the drivers side.
Sponsored