Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Another reason to get Ktuner...

As much as it improves the driveability, with better throttle response, faster spooling and ramp... gas mileage stays close to stock. I was using my tweaked 16.5 tune going to work this morning. Temps were barely 40 degrees and it was raining. Conditions that often reduce mileage. To my surprise, I got 40.9 mpg's.:thumbsup:

Economy and power. Fantastic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So do any of these reflash devices allow you to mix the driving mode features? Like can you use the light steering of Comfort mode with the Stiffer suspension of R mode? Any notible rev hang improvements?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ECU tunes don't allow you to alter or "mix" those modes. But there are settings to reduce the built in rev hang.

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So do any of these reflash devices allow you to mix the driving mode features? Like can you use the light steering of Comfort mode with the Stiffer suspension of R mode? Any notible rev hang improvements?
Steering and suspension controls aren't handled by the ECU.

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Gotcha, so is there anything on the market that anyone knows of that could lighten the steering during S or R mode? Perhaps with some other sort of mod and an On / Off switch? It’s really funny as I used to have an SI that was way too light and hyper sensitive. And now I wish I had a bit of that looseness back in S and R mode sometimes. Or is this just too ingrained into the design and likely will never happen?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there's anything available to do that but it's also probably better to ask in the Type R specific forums.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, my latest on the fly setup is the best so far. Driving to work this morning on my 16.5 psi tune 1 setup, I got an impressive 42 mpg. Now, 16.5 psi may not sound like much but with early spool and improved throttle and turbo response, it drives so much better than stock. Going home, I ramped it up to my 19psi tune 2 with more aggressive quick settings. Considering I had a few high throttle, high speed events ;), I still saw nearly 35 mpg.

That's the great thing about on the fly tune switching. I still have my fully aggressive quick adjustment 21 psi tune 3 when I really want to play. Most of the time though, the less potent tune 1 and 2 are just fine for my commuting and give me near stock mpg's.

This really is the best performance mod ever.

Last edited:

g2turbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 GS-R, 91 Civic Si, 2019 Civic EX, 2014 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Hello, my first post since joining CivicX. Long time Honda-Tech member.

Easy question (i hope), does either system help with the lag from a stop? That is the only real thing that I notice when commuting back and forth to work. I"m sure i'll enjoy all of the extra power and drivability from either system but this would be my primary concern.
\
Thanks!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, my first post since joining CivicX. Long time Honda-Tech member.

Easy question (i hope), does either system help with the lag from a stop? That is the only real thing that I notice when commuting back and forth to work. I"m sure i'll enjoy all of the extra power and drivability from either system but this would be my primary concern.
\
Thanks!
The answer is yes, but KTuner does it wayyyy better, Ive had both but you can ask @gtman too, who had hondata after they added throttle. The ktuner is seriously the way to go, especially the v1.2 at $449. Here is a good description of each quick adjustment ktuner has. Each of those will eliminate in its own way the "lag" you feel.

Honda Civic 10th gen My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal KTunerHowTo_zpsyuiovrov

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ktuner all the way. If you do early spool and use aggressive settings for part throttle turbo response, throttle response and ramp, the lag will be minimal. You can't totally eliminate it and there is some slight CVT lag but the power feels so smooth! Like a new car really.

I originally had Flashpro just like @dallasjhawk, and the driveability and responsiveness is better with Ktuner.

g2turbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 GS-R, 91 Civic Si, 2019 Civic EX, 2014 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Ktuner all the way. If you do early spool and use aggressive settings for part throttle turbo response, throttle response and ramp, the lag will be minimal. You can't totally eliminate it and there is some slight CVT lag but the power feels so smooth! Like a new car really.

I originally had Flashpro just like @dallasjhawk, and the driveability and responsiveness is better with Ktuner.
Thank you both for the quick replies! I just want to get the takeoffs from a stop to be smoother.... the car leaves just fine on light throttle or granny mode :), but on a hill or when i need to get off a stop a bit quicker than usual it does have the noticeable lag, and surge when the turbo comes on.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
The answer is yes, but KTuner does it wayyyy better, Ive had both but you can ask @gtman too, who had hondata after they added throttle. The ktuner is seriously the way to go, especially the v1.2 at $449. Here is a good description of each quick adjustment ktuner has. Each of those will eliminate in its own way the "lag" you feel.

KTunerHowTo_zpsyuiovrov.jpg
Thank you for this screenshot @dallasjhawk I've been missing some features of the Ktuner and/or TSP1. I wasn't sure where to go to look at them and I'm terrified to change things that may mess up the car. It sounds like between you and @gtman you guys have played around with those settings without blowing up the car? Also is it in there that the rev hang is disabled?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All those Quick Adjustments are safe to play with. For you manual transmission guys, the disable rev hang checkbox is in the Quick Enables section.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'll have to take a look at Quick Adjustments, haven't mess with it yet. What would you recommend to adjust? I'm still using stage 1. This car is so responsive and quick now, I don't think I'd be happy ever going back to factory settings.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stage 1 is fine but you can use the starter tunes and have the same 18 psi, then bump up some of the driveability settings. They will put you beyond the Stage 1 feel if you want.

For example, you could try this setup:

Enable "early spool" in the quick enables. For quick adjustments, set your throttle response to Improved II, turbo spool at Improved II, turbo responsiveness to Improved II or III and boost ramp at Aggressive I or II. Upload your new tune and enjoy. :)

If for some reason, you still prefer the basic Stage 1, simply re-upload that. It's all about trial and error with tuning. Just remember that all the quick adjustments are safe. The only one I don't recommend is disabling boost ramp. It's too harsh.
Sponsored

Last edited: