Frequent tailgating

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I seem to get tailgated more frequently in my Civic than ever before I got my ride.

Never really had this issue in my GTI for some reason. I did notice similar treatment when I had a 1st gen. Mazda3 though.

Is it because the car seems smaller and thus slower? My GTI is actually shorter in length and a little narrower than my 10th gen. Civic so I'm doubtful.

Is it because they see the Civic badging and thus think it's slow?

I feel like other drivers - particularly suv drivers - have some issue when they see a smaller, sleeker car like the Civic in the left lane. I use the lane to pass and typically move over whenever I see oncoming vehicles. But I'm getting drivers that switch into the left lane and just hang on my bumper until I move out of their way. Like I said I never really experienced this in my GTI.

Do I need to get one of those "turbo" badges that some on here have purchased and placed on their car in order to get some "street cred" from less than friendly drivers? Maybe I'll get one and do a comparison study to see...

It's just bizarre to me that I'm suddenly experiencing an uptick in moronic tailgaters.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed this too. I can be going 15+ over the limit and still have some asshole in a large pickup/SUV riding me, even when there's nowhere to go (i.e., I'm doing 85 in a 70 while passing 18 wheelers in the right lane).

SUV drivers nowadays seem to have an irrational sense of entitlement on the road, especially on the highway, so they see a smaller car like the Civic and they think they own the highway. You add that, plus it doesn't look like our Civic has decent performance, and people think its a slow car blocking their ability to go to the nearest McDonalds drive-thru.

...and these same people just sit in the left lane for miles if they end up passing me. Completely obnoxious and oblivious at the same time.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like a lot of people who aren't really into cars and don't know much think it's just your normal underpowered civic. I kind of like that people think our cars are slow because when they try something I put them back in there place (within reason haha) I had an f150 tailgating me. Speed limit was 40 I was going 50. He was literally a foot away from my bumper. I dont know if it jealousy because our cars are so sexy or because they see a new car and think it completion?? Idk. But I just put my foot to the floor and pulled away from him like nothing. Of course he floored it and caught up to me after I slowed down.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I seem to get tailgated more frequently in my Civic than ever before I got my ride.

Never really had this issue in my GTI for some reason. I did notice similar treatment when I had a 1st gen. Mazda3 though.

Is it because the car seems smaller and thus slower? My GTI is actually shorter in length and a little narrower than my 10th gen. Civic so I'm doubtful.

I feel like other drivers - particularly suv drivers - have some issue when they see a smaller, sleeker car like the Civic in the left lane. I use the lane to pass and typically move over whenever I see oncoming vehicles. But I'm getting drivers that switch into the left lane and just hang on my bumper until I move out of their way. Like I said I never really experienced this in my GTI.

Do I need to get one of those "turbo" badges that some on here have purchased and placed on their car in order to get some "street cred" from less than friendly drivers? Maybe I'll get one and do a comparison study to see...

It's just bizarre to me that I'm suddenly experiencing an uptick in moronic tailgaters.
SUV and pickup truck owners are the worst! Small dick = aggression!

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel like a lot of people who aren't really into cars and don't know much think it's just your normal underpowered civic. I kind of like that people think our cars are slow because when they try something I put them back in there place (within reason haha) I had an f150 tailgating me. Speed limit was 40 I was going 50. He was literally a foot away from my bumper. I dont know if it jealousy because our cars are so sexy or because they see a new car and think it completion?? Idk. But I just put my foot to the floor and pulled away from him like nothing. Of course he floored it and caught up to me after I slowed down.
This is nearly exactly the same sort of scenario I've had.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag

Wow, I thought it was just ME! I get that everywhere now, at red lights, on the street and on the highway. I hate it so much because my car is a month old and I'm very protective. My opinion is that people are doing it to be rude because of jealousy maybe???

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I thought it was just ME! I get that everywhere now, at red lights, on the street and on the highway. I hate it so much because my car is a month old and I'm very protective. My opinion is that people are doing it to be rude because of jealousy maybe???
Perhaps or maybe they're trying to get a better look of that sweet EG coupe of yours!

brclark80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, Rallye Red
Country flag
I noticed in my old 2012 Fit I would get tailgated a lot. In my EX-T I put an OEM turbo badge on and haven't been since. I had an older civic try to pass me aggressively when I had to slow down to let a car turn. I just casually accelerated while they attempted to pass me, nope.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
You're probably overthinking it. Just dick drivers. Also, newer cars seem to make it look like the following vehicle is closer than it really is. Tailgaters make me so nervous, my leg starts vibrating and I accidentally hit the brake sometimes after my hazard lights go on for a few seconds...

People also think they can bully me in my 'nice' new small car over my older Passat. They are quickly disabused of THAT notion...

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was very protective of my car for the first few months. I still am but not as crazy about it. Especially with the break in period I was driving like a grandma so I had a lot of tailgaters. I drive faster then most but I don't tailgate.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some old Volvo's had a nice feature. When turning on your fog lights the brake lights also brightened. Could be used to get the idiots off you tail a bit.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I just figured everybody is an asshole never considered it was because of my car, but that totally makes sense! I just ignore it now due to being so used to it. I'll just get back in the right lane when the car that goes ahead has no where to go lmao.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
SUV and pickup truck owners are the worst! Small dick = aggression!
I drive the same whether I'm in the Civic or the wife's truck. Yes, my dick is SO big that I let the wife drive the truck; anyways, the Civic gets into all the tight spots a lot easier. :)
Sponsored