Freezing Temp / Turbo Start

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Winter is upon us (by me anyway) ... I'm running full synthetic 0W-20 and due for another check in Feb/March. Full synthetic ok for winter? I assume so as it'll remain thin enough to coat in freezing temps.

I've read various strategies, although 1 seems to counteract the other. Oil/fluids need to be warmed up or can cause damage ... but idling causes damage ... but the oil needs to warm up ... but Idling is terrible for the engine ...

so, hopefully this forum has come to a consensus on the 1.5T engine. I start my car, set up my music/podcast, check to make sure i have whatever i need for the trip, and take off (30 seconds idle approximately) - cruising below 2K RPM until the temp gauge reaches midlevel (what I interpret as "right" temp).

i feel like there's some truth to the oil/fluids needing to be warmed in brutal cold weather, but I also know idling can be terrible for the engine. Whats the "Sweet spot" on idle/warm up and drive.

30 seconds, ease on the gas / below 2K rpm sound about right? love this car, want to keep it as long as possible.
Sponsored

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Winter is upon us (by me anyway) ... I'm running full synthetic 0W-20 and due for another check in Feb/March. Full synthetic ok for winter? I assume so as it'll remain thin enough to coat in freezing temps.

I've read various strategies, although 1 seems to counteract the other. Oil/fluids need to be warmed up or can cause damage ... but idling causes damage ... but the oil needs to warm up ... but Idling is terrible for the engine ...

so, hopefully this forum has come to a consensus on the 1.5T engine. I start my car, set up my music/podcast, check to make sure i have whatever i need for the trip, and take off (30 seconds idle approximately) - cruising below 2K RPM until the temp gauge reaches midlevel (what I interpret as "right" temp).

i feel like there's some truth to the oil/fluids needing to be warmed in brutal cold weather, but I also know idling can be terrible for the engine. Whats the "Sweet spot" on idle/warm up and drive.

30 seconds, ease on the gas / below 2K rpm sound about right? love this car, want to keep it as long as possible.
Cold temps less than 35 I would wait about 30 seconds, but really brutal temps (for me living in VA I consider that less than 20 degrees.......I know this is subjective (ie ask the Canadians what they consider brutal, I'm sure it's a lot lower than 20 degrees), I wait 1 minute, sometimes 2.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag

How is idling bad for he car? Do you mean until it reaches operating temp?

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag

Idling is only bad if you let it idle for 30 minutes. And whether idling is bad is debatable. My touring sedan has remote start. I remote start it for 10 minutes in the morning when I'm walking the dog. Then, a half hour later, when I get in the car to go to work, everything is warmed up sufficiently to drive strait off. If you don't have remote start, just idle it for a minute and drive easily for 10 minutes until everything is warmed up inside engine/trans.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I dont idle for more than a minute. I also dont drive it hard till operating temperature. From what I heard, (could be wrong, who knows) driving it easy will bring the temperatures up to operating temps faster than idling.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
canadian perspective(mine anyways).
1min warmup till idle comes down below 1k.
drive gently for 5 mins.. then drive it like you stole it.

defeated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch LX, 2007 Chevy Silverado
Country flag
From what I heard, (could be wrong, who knows) driving it easy will bring the temperatures up to operating temps faster than idling.
This is what I go by, too. I let it idle for a minute or so, until the RPMs drop, then drive off slow and easy for a few miles. We rarely get freezing temps here, but I still always stuck to the same procedure.
Sponsored