Found perfect way to clean windows

Mike Tonge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring in Burgundy Night Pearl. 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sorry for the noob question but am confused on the chronological order of claying and waxing. Is the below the right steps?

wash—->dry—>clay—->wax?
I just did this on Monday. Wash-Dry-Clay-Paint clean/Wax-Paint seal-stand back and enjoy.
Mike
Sponsored

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'm about to do the same. Got my bug and tar remover being delivered today, got new clay x 2 (1 for paint and 1 for glass), then it's wash, dry, clay, paint cleaner, polish, and wax.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
is paint sealer better than wax? does it make a difference?

Mike Tonge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring in Burgundy Night Pearl. 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is paint sealer better than wax? does it make a difference?
Well i used it for th first time on Monday and its done nothing but rain hear since then. The body work is “glass like” to the touch and the rain simply beads off and when dry, in my garage, it looks like i just polished the car. I’m a fan, so far anyway.
Mike

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
sorry for the noob question but am confused on the chronological order of claying and waxing. Is the below the right steps?

wash—->dry—>clay—->wax?
You could do that but it takes more time here’s a faster way.
Wash-> rinse -> use car soap and clay-> rinse-> dry -> spray with 70 or 90% isopropyl alchohol and dry -> wax

Last edited:

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
Thank you, is the alcohol used as a cleaner?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Thank you, is the alcohol used as a cleaner?
My method was basically for the whole car so wax the whole car while your at it . Alcohol is used to get rid of any remaining old wax or oils the car soap
may have missed.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I just bought a used 2017 Si, the back inside window has never been cleaned. I had to work my butt off to get the oily film off but a lot of elbow grease did wonders. The bottom edge is very hard to reach so mine is still oily but I'll eventually get to it.
I used microfiber-magic eraser-windex-tons of buffing.

David Scott

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe Energy Green 6MT
Country flag
My steps are as follows:
- day before wash with dish soap
- wash again with dish soap, then dry
- clay bar
- polish (if needed)
- glaze
- seal
- wax

David Scott

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe Energy Green 6MT
Country flag
Back on topic....

I was going to start a thread but saw this and it seems to be somewhat related. A couple of months ago I needed to replace my windshield due to a stone chip. Since then any time I've cleaned the outside it's left a hazy mess that needs to be buffed out. No matter what cleaner I use. The place I got it changed, Speedy Autoglass, stated that the window has a Rain-X like coating on it that lasts 6 times longer than Rain-X. On a side note, 4 months later, the rain still beads off at speeds over 50 km/h. That part is fantastic. The only time that the haziness doesn't show is after washing the car and using a squeegee on the window. That still leaves watermarks, however. That causes my OCD to kick in and clean the glass....

A clay bar sounds interesting. I'll give that a shot. I have some AutoGlym Glass Polish I might try as well.

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Back on topic....

I was going to start a thread but saw this and it seems to be somewhat related. A couple of months ago I needed to replace my windshield due to a stone chip. Since then any time I've cleaned the outside it's left a hazy mess that needs to be buffed out. No matter what cleaner I use. The place I got it changed, Speedy Autoglass, stated that the window has a Rain-X like coating on it that lasts 6 times longer than Rain-X. On a side note, 4 months later, the rain still beads off at speeds over 50 km/h. That part is fantastic. The only time that the haziness doesn't show is after washing the car and using a squeegee on the window. That still leaves watermarks, however. That causes my OCD to kick in and clean the glass....
I read that RainX can cause wipers to judder and screech.
I myself found it hard to apply so I just wax or quick wax to all exterior glass.

GoodBytes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX
Country flag
RainX is nice, but needs to be applied often, else it comes off and your wiper blade can skip.
Wax works a sa water repealant on glass, but a couple of wiper blade removes the wax coating on the glass as teh wax is unable to bond well with it, and you have the wiper blade skip.

The best solution I found, is sadly on the costly side, but last a long time compared to the rest, and that is Aquapel, which also reduce/eliminate wiper blade sound.

Keep in mind that as the car gets older and you drive on highways and such where it is not a clean area (construction zones, high dust area, etc), the windshield will eventually get micro scratches and micro holes, and would need to be polished down to continue to get the "like new" windshield and have super clear view as you wiper blade passes, regardless of what you use as sealant.

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I watched a ChrisFix video and he clay bars the widow then uses wax to finish. It cleans the windows very well! However I use RainX and it leaves no streaks

CameraGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Found perfect way to clean windows image
The streaks are not so much from the product, glass cleaner has been around for awhile, it’s what your using to wipe and your technique.

I use the twisted microfiber towel, seems to work the best, as far as streaks and lint. Products I like is Adams glass sealant, works better then rain x in my opinion but both are great, and griots garage foam glass cleaner. Make sure you use automotive glass cleaner too, not windex, at least for the interior because a lot of household cleaners will fad the tint or discolor is

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I mixed 50% distilled water,25% vinegar, and 25% isopropyl alcohol. Works pretty good.
Sponsored