First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of them! Ouch. I'm surprised there are only 27,000 made. I wonder how many they have to sell to make it worthwhile to produce them.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Ouch, but at least Ford is acknowledging the problem and offering a free fix, despite only 3% of owners reporting the problem (according to that article). Will Honda do the same with the CTR tranny grind? Only time will tell.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Ouch, but at least Ford is acknowledging the problem and offering a free fix, despite only 3% of owners reporting the problem (according to that article). Will Honda do the same with the CTR tranny grind? Only time will tell.
Ding Ding Ding!

MatadorCE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
At least Ford is actually doing something for a car that's on its way out with a fraction of owners reporting problems. This is a hell of a lot more than other manufacturers do, where you have to sue them to give you half-ass fix *cough* BMW, Toyota, Porsche, and yes Honda with the airbags *cough*

WhiteCivicSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si
Country flag
All of them! Ouch. I'm surprised there are only 27,000 made. I wonder how many they have to sell to make it worthwhile to produce them.
I believe that's one of the reasons why they are more willing to perform the recall. Car is new to the market, relatively small amount in production, fix em quickly, keep reputation high and hopefully people are more likely to buy one down the line.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag
I believe that's one of the reasons why they are more willing to perform the recall. Car is new to the market, relatively small amount in production, fix em quickly, keep reputation high and hopefully people are more likely to buy one down the line.
Yep, for a Focus RS owner that article is great news and likely leaves most of them with a warm fuzzy feeling. Shame there was a head gasket issue but looks like the manufacturer is taking the proper action. Sets a good precedent in the hot hatch market.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
It wasn't even a normal parts failure issue. Their idiot supplier sent over a large batch of Mustang turbo 2.3-liter head gaskets that fit but are the wrong design. Then nobody in Germany noticed this when using those gaskets to assemble engines. The part numbers are clearly stamped on the HGs and are different between the Mustang and Focus.

Last edited:

sofaking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 #46818// JDM AF Z33
Country flag
ha!

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
^Maybe it was smoking :)

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Wanna bet there are “Civic Type R got real problems” threads in re the 2nd gear crunch in the various RS forums. At least Ford is stepping up while Honda’s like, “user error, what problem?” And I bet there are tons of “lolz” comments.

jpanda

Panda King
First Name
JPanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: Honda Civic Type R 18 & EX Hatchback 18 - Retired: 15 6MT-FIT, Infiniti G35 & G37 6MT.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wanna bet there are “Civic Type R got real problems” threads in re the 2nd gear crunch in the various RS forums. At least Ford is stepping up while Honda’s like, “user error, what problem?” And I bet there are tons of “lolz” comments.
Wouldn't be surprised, no manufacture is immune to issues. When I bought my 15 Honda Fit as new, it had to get the transmission replaced from the get go because of 3rd gear grind. I wonder why they are holding out on the Type R.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
First off - the RS blowing head-gaskets issue has been being reported for about a year (about 48 of 8,000+ RSes in the USA) and it was late December 2017 before a root cause was identified (or at least acknowledged).
It's hard to fix something when the root cause hasn't been found / and a fix determined. The one or two CTR transmission replacements appeared to be a mess and didn't correct the issue. It took quite a while to fix the 8th Si tranny issue but they jumped on the 2.0 piston clip assembly issue quickly.
Sponsored

Last edited: