First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a comparison on the YouTubes between the Mustang GT and the Type-R. I just spent a week cruising with the Ecoboost version, and I think a similar comparison can be made between this less expensive and lower powered model and the Si. My rental was the convertible version of the 2.5L turbo-4 'Stang.

I'll start by saying that I know the RWD Mustang is a very different car, however the two cars are not that far apart in price, so someone who is looking for sporty fun could easily add the Mustang to their list. It's been a long time since I've driven a sporty RWD car, and I forgot how much fun it can be to wag the tail on a corner, and using the line-lock for...well it was a rental. That type of automotive shenanigans is different from the surgical precision of the Civic, and will certainly appeal to different buyers.

Here's what you do get with the Mustang: a very competent touring car. The Mustang seems big compared to the Civic, although that's mainly an illusion caused by the big front end. The front seats are very comfortable and are heated and cooled, which is better than the Si's heat only option. Visibility is good, even with the top up, and the automatic transmission really reduced fatigue on the long stretches of twisty hilly road that is the Pacific Coast Highway. If you want a fantastic road-trip machine, this is it.

Here's what it isn't: a refined sports car. That's never been the Mustang's claim to fame, although some of the high-end versions are trying to change that. The Si is clean and precise, think about it and that's where she goes. The gears are smooth, and the handling predictable, like the Thoroughbred 30 years of Si evolution has made it. The pony on the other hand is more like a Labrador Retriever, it's kind of dimwitted, rolls around a lot, and farts. I'm serious about that last part, the Ecoboost's waste-gate is very noisy.

And let's talk about power: the 310HP has to push around a whopping 1500 pounds more than the Si. The Mustang claims a 0-60 of 5.3, which is astonishingly close to the Si, and to me the two cars seemed almost identical in power with two key exceptions: the Ford has MASSIVE turbo-lag in it's normal driving mode, and the torque really falls off at higher speeds. Also, the automatic transmission's shifting logic was sometimes off, sometimes downshifting with a hard clunk at unexpected times.

Inside, the Mustang's back seat might as well not be there. The trunk is roughly half the size of the Si, and the exhaust note sets up an unpleasant harmonic when you get north of 80 mph. It's not fair to compare sound levels otherwise since one is a convertible. The Infotainment system uses Apple CarPlay, and seemed just as buggy as Honda's version. The display is less readable and less intuitive than Honda's, but that may be fixable with different settings. The Ford does have the edge with engine information. The dash screen has extensive information about everything from intake temperature to transmission oil temp. I also like having the individual tire pressures displayed. The one thing the Ford doesn't have is the outside temperature on the dash. Instead it's on the head unit, but it gets covered if you are using CarPlay. In the Midwest I find knowing the temperature to be very important on a wintery road.

The Honda build quality is superior. This car had only 5000 miles on it, and already it had several buzzes and rattles in the interior. Also, the Ford's wheel at neutral was about 10 degrees off to the left, a fact that bugged my OCD for the entire week.

So, there you have it. Personally, on a long road-trip I'd take the Mustang. Top down in the sun on a country road it's pretty great. But I don't think I could live with it as a daily. Also, I'd rather have the Si for Autocross or a track-day. The Si is just a better combination of fun and practicality for the money.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ford Mustang ECOBOOST IMG_0798.JPG
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I did look at a mustang before I bought my civic and your correct the Honda build quality is superior over the mustang and the mustang is a lot more. In my opinion the interior in the mustang was cheap looking and tight and at 6’5” I felt cramped in the mustang and the mustang I was looking at was $30.000 with the turbo four. I was disappointed when my knee gave out when I test drove a SI so I settled for the Ext with auto and I said this before I’ve had fords before and Honda is a better quality car

GrimSi710

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2013 Civic Economy, 05 Honda Civic Lx
Country flag
I was at the ford dealer about to sign my finance agreement for a white Ecoboost with all the nice trim leather interior and 6 speed. But I had a weird gut feeling and backed out of the purchase. 2 days later I drove off of the lot with a 2019 Civic Si coupe and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
talk about power: the 310HP has to push around a whopping 1500 pounds more than the Si. The Mustang claims a 0-60 of 5.3, which is astonishingly close to the Si, and to me the two cars seemed almost identical in power with two key exceptions: the Ford has MASSIVE turbo-lag in it's normal driving mode, and the torque really falls off at higher speeds.
Civic Si specs:
1) length: 177-183"
2) width: 71"
3) height: 55-57"
4) Hp: 205
5) Tq: 192 @ 2100-5k rpm
6) Weight: 2900lb
7) 0-60 6.8 (by Motor trend)

Mustang Ecoboost specs:
1) Length: 188"
2) Width: 75"
3) Height: 54-55"
4) Hp: 310
5) Tq: 350 @ 3,000 rpm
6) Weight: 3600-3800lb
7) 0-60 5.3 (Motor Trend)

So, the mustang is NOT 1500lb heavier.. only about 700-800lb heavier and comes with 50% more hp and over twice the tq. Then again, at 2.3 liters, it does have 50% more engine displacement.

I considered the Mustang when shopping the Si, but in the end I needed 4 doors, preferred FWD for a daily and have kids approaching driving age and didn't need the insurance burden of the Mustang.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Soccer mom with a coffee in hand blew me away at a stop light in her Stang. LOL. She was nice about it and smiled at me when we got to the next light.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I was gonna get an eco boost but VTEC yo!

Seriously it was a nice a car loved the digital dash. The new performance pack is gonna be sweet with the 2.3 from the RS but in the end this package suits me better. I was upgrading from a 2016 Jetta 1.8 to a 2019 GLI but that fell through also. A last minute gut feeling and a last attempt at getting one at MSRP and it worked out.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Eco's are actually 3,532 to 3,642 lbs. 3800 lbs is an optioned GT. Also, you rented a vert, auto, non pp, eco-stang and expected a sports car?

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I was terribly jealous anytime I saw one of the Mustang or Camaro convertible rentals when driving on CA1. I had a Camry that was neither fun, nor did it provide a great view like the convertibles. Next time I go out that way I'll do my dangdest to either get a convertible or motorcycle... So pretty!

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eco's are actually 3,532 to 3,642 lbs. 3800 lbs is an optioned GT. Also, you rented a vert, auto, non pp, eco-stang and expected a sports car?
Not the point. If the GT can be compared to the CTR, then the entry-level similarly priced Ecoboost can be compared to the “entry level performance” Civic Si.

I wasn’t “expecting” anything other than what I got, I’m simply sharing my honest opinion after driving it 1500 miles in 6 days, 11 hours. I found it to be like a Lab, and Labs are a lovable doggo.

I stand by what I said, it’s a great road-trip car, but I’d feel better with the Si on a track day or autocross. I think the Si is easier to live with as a daily, but YMMV. I didn’t drive it in the rain or snow, so that opinion is incomplete for me; but I do know it can’t carry the physical load the Si can, which is an important factor to me as a daily driver.

As for the weight, I went off the ident plate Ford put on the car (2618, I took a picture) and trusted my faulty memory for the weight of the Si, which my sleep deprived brain said was closer to 2100 pounds for some reason.

garf117

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si sedan; 2000 Civic si
Country flag
Gonna throw my .02 in here. I'm brand new to the 10th gen. This is also my first post here so be gentle. Still learning my way around my 17 si sedan.

I had a 2015 Ecoboost that I did track days at road Atlanta a few years back. As a performance car they are comparable but the mustang definitely beats out the Civic. These aren't the old live axles of the past. The IRS in the new s550 is every bit as capable as the Civic and you can fit way fatter tires under it. I ran 19x10 square setup with 265x40 Michelin PSS's. It was tuned running 24psi and made 290whp (low by most standards but I wanted reliability on track vs power). The thing could dive into corners and for being like 3600lbs it was surprisingly agile.

Where the Civic claws back for me is daily use and braking. 35mpg has been amazing vs my mustangs 19, and unless you get the brembo fronts on the Ecoboost you'll want more coming up on corners. Civic is also light enough that I'm guessing it will at least hold even with an Ecoboost through esses and such.

I plan on running my fc1 this fall at RA. Just got potenza s03 pole positions mounted and will probably have springs and new pads/fluid by then. I did a 1:55 in the Ecoboost (I wasn't pushing it. it was over 100° mid summer). I'll report back with how the Civic does.
Sponsored