Ford Kills Civic Competitor Focus/Fiesta and All Small Cars

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://jalopnik.com/ford-will-phase-out-all-its-small-cars-in-north-america-1825544784

Bombshell dropped. Lots of people cross shopped these cars, especially the performance oriented crowd of the SI/Type R and the ST RS group. Kind of a sad day really but great news for Honda and other small car makers who just had a whole new group of buyers dumped in their laps. Hopefully Honda takes advantage of this and comes up with a killer refresh of all the 10th gen cars to suck these buyers in.

What do you all think, the beginning of the end of small cars or a foolish play by Ford that will backfire when gas shoots to $4/gal again?
Sponsored

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Their ST offerings were good, but their auto transmission problems pretty much killed the lineup. You ask anyone who's done any bit of googling, and they'll just repeat "those automatics were so bad, there was that class action lawsuit!"

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the problems were overblown, but any average joe who hears that will cross that car off their shopping list immediately. And you can't support a platform off one successful trim (ST's), especially a performance one.

Last edited:

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Their ST offerings were good, but their auto transmission problems pretty much killed the lineup. You ask anyone who's done any bit of googling, and they'll just repeat "those automatics were so bad, there was that class action lawsuit!"

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the problems were overblown, but any average joe who hears that will cross that car off their shopping list immediately. And you can't support a platform off one successful trim (ST's), especially a performance one.
It's no lie, those transmissions were terrible! I had the experience of getting a brand new 2003 Ford Focus during that time and boy was it a headache. It went to about 60k miles until I got transmission issues. I replaced the transmission twice out of my own pocket and when it broke down the third time I called Ford to come pick up their trash because I wasn't going to be paying for it anymore. Since then I steer clear of any Ford vehicles and always tell my network about my horrible experience.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 2015 focus as a rental car for about a week. That thing stuttered and jerked so bad when taking off, I called enterprise to let them know. They said,we know,that's how the new Ford transmissions are. Having owned two fords before, a Taurus and a Ranger, I don't care for them anyway.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Good luck to them when gas hits $4 again....unless they're also coming out with electric SUVs and trucks.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when gas shoots to $4/gal again?
You might not be too far off. The price of crude has gone up from ~$50 to $70 a barrel this year alone... and it's been somewhat steady through last year. If it keeps moving this way, we may see prices crack $3 before long for 87. I'm already paying over $3 for 93.

...you know, I remember when I was kid. Each extra grade of octane was only like 5-10 cents more, even though gas was generally $1-2. Now, it's a 0.50 jump from 87 to 93. What's up with that!?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
you know, I remember when I was kid. Each extra grade of octane was only like 5-10 cents more, even though gas was generally $1-2. Now, it's a 0.50 jump from 87 to 93. What's up with that!?
Honda Civic 10th gen Ford Kills Civic Competitor Focus/Fiesta and All Small Cars download

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I friend that does EPA for the govt. He said most compact cars will be gone by 2025. Most companies are moving towards crossovers as the compact cars are not selling enough

OP
OP
dallasjhawk

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might not be too far off. The price of crude has gone up from ~$50 to $70 a barrel this year alone... and it's been somewhat steady through last year. If it keeps moving this way, we may see prices crack $3 before long for 87. I'm already paying over $3 for 93.

...you know, I remember when I was kid. Each extra grade of octane was only like 5-10 cents more, even though gas was generally $1-2. Now, it's a 0.50 jump from 87 to 93. What's up with that!?
Just paid $3.29 for 93 an hour ago here in dfw

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Gm and Ford make more on trucks ands SUVs. Their margins are bigger. I personally think that this is a stupid decision. They were also behind on the hybrid phase back in 2004.

I think more of it is related to the economy than gas prices.

When the next recession hits people won't be buying trucks and filling tanks with 20+ gallons of gas.

That's a pretty aggressive strategy they are taking

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.50, thats not bad its a .90 jump by me for the same 87 to 93

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I friend that does EPA for the govt. He said most compact cars will be gone by 2025. Most companies are moving towards crossovers as the compact cars are not selling enough
I hope they never kill the civic. doesn't the 10th gen sell like hotcakes
Sponsored