Ford drops a bombshell..

Machine20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Doubtful. Anyone who is in a driverless car when it gets into a car accident will be sure in their mind that they would have been able to avoid the accident if they were driving. It won't take but a couple more driverless car related fatalities before the entire idea is close to doomed in the eye of public perception.
Do you know how many fatalities per year involving car accidents are caused by human error?

And you think a couple driverless car deaths outweighs that? Oooook.
Sponsored

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Do you know how many fatalities per year involving car accidents are caused by human error?

And you think a couple driverless car deaths outweighs that? Oooook.
Um, There are very few driverless cars and millions of traditional ones. So yes a few deaths is very worrisome.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
good I'm glad. Terrible cars with today's competition.

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm sure there'll be a good bit of cars capable of self driving sold by then, but the vast majority on the road won't be.

Your timeline is faster than the timeframe of automakers starting to have backup cameras as standard equipment and sticking to it to them being mandated in the US... and that wasn't a fundamental change... but one of convenience and safety that got mandated for safety alone. I think having HAL drive our car for us is going to take awhile for a lot of people to get used to and I'm not sure what the added cost of integrating that tech is... but I wouldn't be surprised it it adds upwards of $5-10k.
I am pushing 60, am a car guy, have been working in tech all my life and see the writing on the wall.

If someone had told you 20 years ago what you could do with your cell phone today, you would say they were insane.

Either Car & Driver or R & T had an excellent issue dedicated to driverless cars last year. It convinced me. Maybe not in 10 years, but its coming.

The most interesting reading I do these days is read reviews of the Tesla 3. Not so much for the car, but for the direction of the tech. The nice thing is that Honda is in this game, and I can see it in their current product line.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am pushing 60, am a car guy, have been working in tech all my life and see the writing on the wall.

If someone had told you 20 years ago what you could do with your cell phone today, you would say they were insane.

Either Car & Driver or R & T had an excellent issue dedicated to driverless cars last year. It convinced me. Maybe not in 10 years, but its coming.

The most interesting reading I do these days is read reviews of the Tesla 3. Not so much for the car, but for the direction of the tech. The nice thing is that Honda is in this game, and I can see it in their current product line.
I'm with you that it's coming. I'm 35 and think it'll be mandated equipment by the time I kick the bucket. I think 10 years is a bit aggressive. ~40000 die from accident related deaths in the US alone... and I bet a computer exceeds the capabilities of many driver's... certainly of those who drive distracted, looking at their cell phones and stuff even right now. The technology is only going to get better, and less expensive as it matures. I actually looked up my shot-on-the-dark number of $5-10k for the technology per car... and I was actually pretty accurate. It'll certainly be a fraction of that, and more mature 10 years from now. I just don't think it'll be mandated and in the majority of cars.

And, let's say it *was* mandated then... and automakers started making them standard a year or two before that... just like backup cameras over the past couple years. You're still going to have a fleet of 'legacy' vehicles on the road for many years to come that have life left. That alone is why self driving cars would be a small minority in that time.

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I'm with you that it's coming. I'm 35 and think it'll be mandated equipment by the time I kick the bucket. I think 10 years is a bit aggressive. ~40000 die from accident related deaths in the US alone... and I bet a computer exceeds the capabilities of many driver's... certainly of those who drive distracted, looking at their cell phones and stuff even right now. The technology is only going to get better, and less expensive as it matures. I actually looked up my shot-on-the-dark number of $5-10k for the technology per car... and I was actually pretty accurate. It'll certainly be a fraction of that, and more mature 10 years from now. I just don't think it'll be mandated and in the majority of cars.

And, let's say it *was* mandated then... and automakers started making them standard a year or two before that... just like backup cameras over the past couple years. You're still going to have a fleet of 'legacy' vehicles on the road for many years to come that have life left. That alone is why self driving cars would be a small minority in that time.
I am getting off topic, but its Sat nite :)

They break down self driving ability into levels 1-5. We are currently at level 3, where the computer passes control to the driver in certain situations. The problem is that the driver isn't expecting / monitoring the developing situation, and will likely make incorrect decisions. It will likely be much safer when we are at level 5 and control is not passed to the driver.

I remember when internet access was only available to defense and tech folks. I saw this mature and there was a tipping point, say the 90s, where the internet, the disruptive technology, become indispensable. The same will happen for self happen for self driving cars, whether they be focus sedans or focus based SUVs.

Feeble attempt to get back on topic :)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Based on what?
Based on our almost three year experience with a 2012 Focus Hatchback Ti. Never. Another. Ford. What a P.O.S. Great design. They stopped engineering it about halfway through the job.

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Doesn't matter. We will be driverless in 10 years.
LOL. I'll take that bet. These are the same guys calling the software in Honda infotainment ready for production? And they are going to solve autonomous vehicles within ten years?

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
I have owned a few domestics vehicles. Every single one had some sort of problems. I'm glad there won't be POS ford cars on the road.

I bet Doodge, Chrysler will follow Ford soon. After that I can see GM.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
I have owned a few domestics vehicles. Every single one had some sort of problems. I'm glad there won't be POS ford cars on the road.

I bet Doodge, Chrysler will follow Ford soon. After that I can see GM.

idk, Dodge seems like they will hold out for quite some time. They figured out their audience, and if you wanna go fast, buy a Dodge. just don't expect it to last.

Also in Ford news for those who are cross shopping with the site as a reference:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-fiesta-focus-st-rs-deals

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
If we hit the gas crisis again when all suv and trucks stopped selling. Bye bye Ford.. Last straw
and no more government handouts either.

ken88

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2007 Honda Shadow Aero
Country flag
If we hit the gas crisis again when all suv and trucks stopped selling. Bye bye Ford.. Last straw
I was thinking the same thing when this story came out.
But people keep buying SUVs and crossovers because gas will be $1.99 a gallon forever.
What could possibly go wrong? :dunno:

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Also I don't see the fascinating with all these trucks jacked up with big tires and coaling! It's like the resurgence of Bigfoot when it came out for the first time. The LDT (little dick trucks) with the cockless balls hanging from the bumper...wtf
While I agree with what you're saying, those same drivers no doubt laugh at the spoilers and mufflers on our Hondas. It's really the same game.
Sponsored