For those who owned both: How much faster does the Type-R feel over 10g Si?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I have owned both, and for me the Si felt, key word there felt, faster off the start but would taper off and even though you could still kick it, it felt longer and drawn out to get there and you would also notice the torque steer when you got on it. The R "feels" slower to get going and is one of my only complaints about the car. from a dead stop the R sorta needs a nudge to get going but once it does it flies. I have had several people say its fast but it does not feel that fast. And thats the thing. The R is a little to comfy and smooth to the point that you don't really "feel" you are going that fast when in actuality you are kickin 100 off the on ramp and go oh crap I better slow down.

it is sorts like, ever ride in a car that is 15 years plus old and it has the rattles and wind and the engine screaming and all? And even though you are only going 45 it feels like you are doing 100 because of the Feel of the car. then you can be in a luxury car all quiet and calm and you look down and are doing 95 and you are all dang didn't feel like it? it is sorta like that with the R and the Si. The R is much much faster and the performance is amazing but the quiet exhaust (my Si rumbled more and louder stock then the R) and the smoothness of the car makes it feel like your not really doing much till you look at the spedo and notice everyone else is about two blocks behind you that was at the light with you LOL.
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Stop being tribal and use your brain. The F-150 does a standing quarter mile in 13.7@102. This eats your SI's lunch. The guy said he was getting pulled on by trucks on the freeway, and until the 107mph fuel cut on that F-150 (THE MOST COMMON VEHICLE IN AMERICA) that is entirely realistic. People get it twisted and start to think the type R is a supercar. It's not. And that means your SI is absolutely not. Sorry. It's not because anyone is a good driver, it's not because anyone is a bad driver, nobody is making the difference in the .0044ms or whatever between their 3rd to 4th shift. And you sure as hell aren't going 0-60 on the freeway.

You don't want people to crap on you car, but I'm going to. The Civic SI, as it exists right now is a half measure. It only ever mattered because we didn't get the type R in the states. The Type R is already a performance / cost compromise, all hot hatches or sport compacts are, they exist to fill a middle ground. But your SI? It may as well not exist when the R is around. It is pointless and an F-150 is faster and more practical.
I would have to respectfully disagree. there is more to the car spectrum then top of the line and econo and that is where the Si fits. I did not buy my Si thinking it was some power house performance car. what it is , is a car that s 14,000k less then an R ( my local dealer sells then all the time for 20-21k got mine for 20,500) more common then an R, easier to get then an R and for people who don't need to take corners at 70mph to go get groceries but still want a little ump and for that it fits the bill perfectly. Not everything is black and white and the Si is the grey that can complete the picture.

bri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2010 G37S
Country flag
I would have to respectfully disagree. there is more to the car spectrum then top of the line and econo and that is where the Si fits. I did not buy my Si thinking it was some power house performance car. what it is , is a car that s 14,000k less then an R ( my local dealer sells then all the time for 20-21k got mine for 20,500) more common then an R, easier to get then an R and for people who don't need to take corners at 70mph to go get groceries but still want a little ump and for that it fits the bill perfectly. Not everything is black and white and the Si is the grey that can complete the picture.
The Si has never been about straight line performance. If you think an F150 is more fun to drive or more practical than an Si you genuinely don't know jack about cars. The Si is an absolutely incredible machine for the price.
Guys, the topic in this thread is power and acceleration. For its price point it has a place, but in the power and acceleration department, the Si is no better than the EX and frankly no better than many trucks and SUVs, to answer the topic.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Stop being tribal and use your brain. The F-150 does a standing quarter mile in 13.7@102. This eats your SI's lunch. The guy said he was getting pulled on by trucks on the freeway, and until the 107mph fuel cut on that F-150 (THE MOST COMMON VEHICLE IN AMERICA) that is entirely realistic. People get it twisted and start to think the type R is a supercar. It's not. And that means your SI is absolutely not. Sorry. It's not because anyone is a good driver, it's not because anyone is a bad driver, nobody is making the difference in the .0044ms or whatever between their 3rd to 4th shift. And you sure as hell aren't going 0-60 on the freeway.

You don't want people to crap on you car, but I'm going to. The Civic SI, as it exists right now is a half measure. It only ever mattered because we didn't get the type R in the states. The Type R is already a performance / cost compromise, all hot hatches or sport compacts are, they exist to fill a middle ground. But your SI? It may as well not exist when the R is around. It is pointless and an F-150 is faster and more practical.
A 4-door F-150 starts at 35k and gets ~22MPG. The 13.7@102 F-150 you're talking about starts at 69K. The logical conclusion is that the Si is pointless and the F-150 is more practical? What's this you said about not being tribal and using your brain lol.

Guys, the topic in this thread is power and acceleration. For its price point it has a place, but in the power and acceleration department, the Si is no better than the EX and frankly no better than many trucks and SUVs, to answer the topic.
The Si is no better than the EX in power and acceleration? Okay..

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just going to correct you - it has been proven that the SI's power ceiling is higher than that on the EX. It's simply a fact, and there are many write ups by both Vit and Derek speaking to this fact.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Guys dont feed the trolls. Saying the Si is no better than the EX shows a lack of knowledge in cars and/or a troll tactic. And for the guy saying the F-150 is faster by using its 1/4 mile time as the reason, I can counter with the Si having a higher top speed and therefore is ultimately faster. I guess we could just keep going on and on and on..

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guys dont feed the trolls. Saying the Si is no better than the EX shows a lack of knowledge in cars and/or a troll tactic. And for the guy saying the F-150 is faster by using its 1/4 mile time as the reason, I can counter with the Si having a higher top speed and therefore is ultimately faster. I guess we could just keep going on and on and on..
Let's see that f150 hang a corner.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
the Type R costs twice as much as the Si, roughly $20K more, you get 33% more horsepower and better handling, it had better be a better car all around than the Si or something is seriously wrong. For $40K you can buy other vehicles that will toast the Type R on the street, this is fact. If you don’t want to get beat by other cars including pickup trucks, there’s a whole lot of other powerful vehicles out there that will thoroughly do the job, and not a hopped up Si or its 300 HP brother. Today 300 HP on the street is simply peanuts.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
the Type R costs twice as much as the Si, roughly $20K more, you get 33% more horsepower and better handling, it had better be a better car all around than the Si or something is seriously wrong. For $40K you can buy other vehicles that will toast the Type R on the street, this is fact. If you don’t want to get beat by other cars including pickup trucks, there’s a whole lot of other powerful vehicles out there that will thoroughly do the job, and not a hopped up Si or its 300 HP brother. Today 300 HP on the street is simply peanuts.
$20k? I didn't know the SI could be had for $19kOTD.

I agree there are $40k options that will beat the Type R on the street. The Type R isn't a $40k car though. And it's illegal to race on the street.

I don't really understand why you say 300hp is peanuts. Please explain.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LOL Yeah if ya wanna spend 40k to brag you go really fast for about 300 yards cool go by a Camaro or Mustang. If you wanna spend 34k not 40k and be on the cover of every magazine grouped with supercars, win best performance car of the year. Plus have your engine voted multiple times best engine of the year oh and be the fastest front wheel drive around a 17 mile world most challanging track plus 3 other world track records then I guess get that lowly 300hp nothing R

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
$20k? I didn't know the SI could be had for $19kOTD.

I agree there are $40k options that will beat the Type R on the street. The Type R isn't a $40k car though. And it's illegal to race on the street.

I don't really understand why you say 300hp is peanuts. Please explain.
The average people are reporting on these boards for the Type R after taxes and markup is going for well over $40K, where you been? The Si can be had for about $22K all day long. Please tell me you didn’t say it’s illegal to race on the street, and you are the owner of a Type R? Theres a lot of cars out there these days that have these things called 8 cylinder engines in them, don’t take this the wrong way but you need to read up.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The average people are reporting on these boards for the Type R after taxes and markup is going for well over $40K, where you been? The Si can be had for about $22K all day long. Please tell me you didn’t say it’s illegal to race on the street, and you are the owner of a Type R? Theres a lot of cars out there these days that have these things called 8 cylinder engines in them, don’t take this the wrong way but you need to read up.
Bought my SI for 21500 and my R for 32500 sooo... and my dealer has 2 Rs now at msrp.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get me one for $32,500 I’ll wire the money tomorrow.
Mine was first week of release 17 before the 3 price increases. But still 2 here now my area at msrp which is not even close to 40k.
But if you are calling me out I promise you I'm not a liar not that I have anything to.prove but I can show my sales paper.
Sponsored