For those who modded their Type R...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So as of late I’ve had an itch to throw an aftermarket exhaust onto my car. I really like the sound the HKS Legamax produces and I was considering doing it to my car. However, I’m kind of at an impasse with actually going through with it.

My main concern is that I do it and something goes wrong down the road and the dealer sees the modified exhaust and denies any warranty coverage. I get they have to prove the modified part caused the damage but they have a leg up since fighting them would require much more time and effort from myself. And let’s say something major went that would cost thousands to replace, well then I could potentially be on the hook for that. Plus, this is my only car, and if something did go wrong I would be SOL.

So for those reasons, I’m really on the fence. Part of me wants to do it, the other part is thinking about the what if’s afterwards. There’s a highly rated garage close to my house that would easily be able to do it which is how I got here in the first place.

For those who have modded their car... did you have the same concerns as I do or did you just say “screw it” and go ahead anyways?
Sponsored

Prodigy71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav 4 , GTI
Country flag
I too plan on installing an aftermarket exhaust later in summer. I was actually looking at the HKS legamax as well. Or the L spec. But if anything happens , can't you just reinstall the stock exhaust?? shouldn't be too much of a problem I think

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
Screw it man. The Type R was designed by Honda to take abuse all day on the track. It's just an exhaust ;)

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If a dealership denies warranty coverage over an exhaust, you can take it down the street to the next Honda dealership and try all over again. I've been modding cars for 20 years and only 1 time did the dealership blame me for the issue, but I took it to another dealership and they fixed the issue. I think as long as you don't have a tune you're ok at most dealerships.

If you have intake, headers, etc and the motor blows, you'd probably have to swap those back to stock before taking the car in.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I'm pretty sure most dealerships don't care about an exhaust.

I have a pretty heavily modified car, and I was up front with the service manager at the Honda I go to. He doesn't care about the mods as long as the mod didn't cause the problem for which I would potentially submit a warranty claim.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
Same dilema over here, thinking of a Remus or a miltek. Warranty was bugging me as it's stricter over here (people with exhausts getting gear box claims refused), but As has been said I have dream locally who would fit the new one and if a big enough issue, refit the OEM.

It needs the exhaust to finish it off for me

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
I can tell you I have put aftermarket exhaust and intakes on every car/truck I have owned for the past several years, and have never had any issue with them being on when taking a vehicle in for a warranty item. These two items are very minor modifications and exhausts and CAI's really don't go bad from the standpoint of throwing a code, at least in my experience. Like the OP though, I am very conservative as these two mods are as far as I go.....

PrisonerOfDoom

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R #3166, '04 IS300, '01 Tacoma
Country flag
I've always been paranoid about the same thing. Best thing to do if you're worried about it is only do mods that are easily reversible. Bolt-on mods like a catback exhaust can easily be put back to stock before having warranty work done at a dealership.

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Bro, you spent +/- $35K on a Honda Civic. Just put the exhaust on if it makes you happy. Sometimes you gotta roll the dice and focus your energy on the important stuff in life.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Had a few modded cars with exhaust. Never had dealer reject warranty stuff. In fact, one of the cars had the cat replaced.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Screw it man. The Type R was designed by Honda to take abuse all day on the track. It's just an exhaust ;)
Omg you seriously didn’t write that... lmao this car can’t even see a track without overheating unless you go to a track when it’s below 70 degrees out lmao!! I have heard it all...

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If your afraid to mod it because of warranty then you don’t belong modding it. 80% of the time that mean you can afford it it breaks an that’s another thing... if you can’t afford to fix it if the car breaks then don’t mod the car if you can... then booger it up

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Omg you seriously didn’t write that... lmao this car can’t even see a track without overheating unless you go to a track when it’s below 70 degrees out lmao!! I have heard it all...
I went to the track when it was 85 degrees out and I had no overheating issues. This was also at a higher elevation (Colorado) and everything was good minus the OEM Conti's.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe you didn’t beat on it hard enough

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright, thanks for the feedback - definitely helps. Are there any considerations when choosing an exhaust? An HKS Legamax should have no issues with passing yearly emissions testing in Pennsylvania, right? It wouldn’t also throw a CEL if I just put on the exhaust itself and nothing else, would it?
Sponsored