For those who intend to buy the R, what is your age? *poll added*

If you intend to buy the R, how old are you?

• Total voters

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
How 7 people at the time of this post who are allegedly 18-20 with the means to not only buy the Type R but to keep it on the road via insurance/gas/tires is beyond me. I'm 20 and although I don't plan to buy the R, it makes me shudder knowing how much insurance/gas and 245/30 series tires is going to cost a teenager.

Penis, under 25, sports/sporty car. Insurance co is gonna say fuck you. I'm assuming with the 'spirited' driving that will happen, high teens fuel economy at best on premium. Decent Michelins or whatever OE tires they put on that size will be $1,500 for the set barring any consideration to winter or aftermarket wheel/tire set ups.

All this not accounting for modifications but.... It's your money lol
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
How 7 people at the time of this post who are allegedly 18-20 with the means to not only buy the Type R but to keep it on the road via insurance/gas/tires is beyond me. I'm 20 and although I don't plan to buy the R, it makes me shudder knowing how much insurance/gas and 245/30 series tires is going to cost a teenager.

Penis, under 25, sports/sporty car. Insurance co is gonna say fuck you. I'm assuming with the 'spirited' driving that will happen, high teens fuel economy at best on premium. Decent Michelins or whatever OE tires they put on that size will be $1,500 for the set barring any consideration to winter or aftermarket wheel/tire set ups.

I highly doubt all 7 of those punks are gonna actually buy it also ;)

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Lol where I'm from 16-18 year old kids roll up to their driver's test in a lime green Lamborghini...

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Lol where I'm from 16-18 year old kids roll up to their driver's test in a lime green Lamborghini...
That is definitely the exception and begs the question, why would someone that can afford to give their kid 100k car at 18 consider the type r. Not putting the car down at all, but teens in these specific situations can drive whatever they can convince their dad to buy them.

Unless you're talking about being the first kid on the block with the latest toy then I can see it. These definitely won't last in inexperienced hands, that we all
know.

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

You're quite right. I'm studying mechanical engineering, and my school (Clarkson University) has a 95% job placement rating. I've interned with Moog Inc. and although that doesn't necessarily mean much in hindsight, I theoretically have a 95% chance of getting a job in the field. It pays very well, and yeah I'm well aware of how expensive keeping one of these on the road will be, but realistically it all depends on where I end up. I've always been a dreamer. I aim high and that way wherever I do end up (whether it be where I wanted or not) I will always be happy with where I'm at. To be totally honest, my next car WILL be a Honda and it'll probably be an Si because of finances. But, the Type-R is providing me with the motivation to finish engineering school and get a kick ass job; if that happens, a Type-R will be within my reach. My dad graduated from Lehigh with a bachelors in mechanical engineering and six months later he bought a brand new 1985 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. That's probably closer to a GTi today but hey it's still motivation in my eyes. The car is so interesting from an engineering standpoint as well so I'll always be interested in getting my hands on one, even if I can't right away.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
You're quite right. I'm studying mechanical engineering, and my school (Clarkson University) has a 95% job placement rating.
Which means 95% of the graduates who bothered to respond to the placement survey got jobs of some sort (Boeing, BMW, or Brookstone) within 12 months of graduating.

I graduated ME from a top 20 school and I bought a new 4 door Integra GSR after getting a job. I think ME starting salaries are 50% higher now, and a Type R is 50% more than my GSR cost ($21k) so it should be doable if you get an ME job (not Brookstone). :)

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which means 95% of the graduates who bothered to respond to the placement survey got jobs of some sort (Boeing, BMW, or Brookstone) within 12 months of graduating.

I graduated ME from a top 20 school and I bought a new 4 door Integra GSR after getting a job. I think ME starting salaries are 50% higher now, and a Type R is 50% more than my GSR cost ($21k) so it should be doable if you get an ME job (not Brookstone). :)
I'd love it if it all worked out. My girlfriend studies biomedical science at the same school, and I'm from Buffalo which is a biological engineering hub (according to her) so assuming life decides to do me a few favors and we both end up in the Buffalo area making decent money, I may just be driving a Type-R in the near future.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
@dawsonj87, Good on you for working hard. Sounds like it should work out for you :thumbsup:

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I'd love it if it all worked out. My girlfriend studies biomedical science at the same school, and I'm from Buffalo which is a biological engineering hub (according to her) so assuming life decides to do me a few favors and we both end up in the Buffalo area making decent money, I may just be driving a Type-R in the near future.
Demand for engineers is very high right now. And companies tend to replace expensive senior engineers with new grads. I'm not in the camp that you should save all your money as a newly minted worker bee, you need to live a little. You're not gonna want a Type R when you're 50.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? I have wanted wanted a Type R for many, many years. I am 48. Can I afford more expensive cars, yes...but I have wanted a Type R. Doesn't matter your income level, or age...someone in those brackets are going to want one....no..check that... I NEED a Type R....

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Really? I have wanted wanted a Type R for many, many years. I am 48. Can I afford more expensive cars, yes...but I have wanted a Type R. Doesn't matter your income level, or age...someone in those brackets are going to want one....no..check that... I NEED a Type R....
Too funny, I'm in that bracket too and although i do not need one I sure want one :respect:

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
50 next month in April sounds like a good half century birthday gift. Those of us at this age have been car enthusiast since Chevy novas , camaros and trans ams were all over the place. Yes I was one who owned a 79 trans am in high school and loved every minute of it.

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
That is definitely the exception and begs the question, why would someone that can afford to give their kid 100k car at 18 consider the type r. Not putting the car down at all, but teens in these specific situations can drive whatever they can convince their dad to buy them.

Unless you're talking about being the first kid on the block with the latest toy then I can see it. These definitely won't last in inexperienced hands, that we all
know.
Reminds me of that one 16 year old who wrecked his brand new 8th gen Si :nono: can't seem to find that thread on 8thcivic.com
Sponsored