For those who DD the Type R - which drive mode?

Which drive mode(s) do you use most?

• Total voters

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I would imagine no one is doing that to a Type R. I can't imagine filling up every three days and paying for premium. My commute is 1.6 miles and I take my wife's car every chance I get so I don't put that wear on my R.
Sure they do. I have had mine since mid-Sept 2018, and it will flip 10K tomorrow on my 200 mile round trip weekly drive.

It's a car. Cars are built to be driven. Why would I pay all this money for it to sit in a garage and look at it?
Sponsored

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I do around 80 per day . All freeway miles . And yes I have to fill up every 3 days . 80mph+ Gets 20mpg
I have seen others talk about this kind of mileage, but I can get about 29-30mpg driving 80mph. If I cruise closer to 60, I can get 36.

Hell, I get 24-26 in the city. Maybe I just drive like I am old now.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Good for you man . I confess most of the time I'm still in 5th Incase I want to speed up . And 6th is not good for engine when wot .

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I am either in Sport or R+ mode... I actually cant stand comfort and am very glad it starts off in sport mode... if I could make it start off in R I would. The steering feel is way to sloppy for me in comfort, I don't mind the rest of the comfort feel but the steering kills it for me

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I am either in Sport or R+ mode... I actually cant stand comfort and am very glad it starts off in sport mode... if I could make it start off in R I would. The steering feel is way to sloppy for me in comfort, I don't mind the rest of the comfort feel but the steering kills it for me

Same for me. I use comfort on some of the bad roads, particularly around town. And overall it is not that bad of a setting, other than the steering. It just sucks in Comfort.

BTW: We are not alone on this one. The same complaint appears over and over again from users, journalists, etc. Maybe Honda should pay attention.

nillynil

First Name
Nilesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
I was driving in comfort mode majority of the time strictly to save gas but recently tried a tank on sport mode and got the same mpg.

Now I stay in sport mode beside the occasional sport+

I DD in Los Angeles with a heavy foot in traffic and 80 mph on the freeway with no traffic. Total average mpg per tank 26-27 mpg

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I have seen others talk about this kind of mileage, but I can get about 29-30mpg driving 80mph. If I cruise closer to 60, I can get 36.

Hell, I get 24-26 in the city. Maybe I just drive like I am old now.
Same results as you. Most of my commute is in the 50-60 mph and I can get 40 mpg on nice days with no AC/heat running.

If you didn't read the reply, that guy is in 5th gear at 80 mph and itching to boost. Of course his gas mileage is a shitty 20 mpg.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Same results as you. Most of my commute is in the 50-60 mph and I can get 40 mpg on nice days with no AC/heat running.

If you didn't read the reply, that guy is in 5th gear at 80 mph and itching to boost. Of course his gas mileage is a shitty 20 mpg.

I didn't notice the 5th gear part. That explains it. These cars could stand a bit taller gear for better mileage as it is.

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
I usually dive around in comfort until its near operating temps then put her back into sport. The truth is I really have only used +R once, when I went around lake berryessa with my little brother tagging along on in his FoST.

malak33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 cw civic type r
Country flag
I would imagine no one is doing that to a Type R. I can't imagine filling up every three days and paying for premium. My commute is 1.6 miles and I take my wife's car every chance I get so I don't put that wear on my R.
I drive 110 miles a day. At 17k miles. Best decision ever made. Would recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I drive 110 miles a day. At 17k miles. Best decision ever made. Would recommend this car to anyone who enjoys driving
Yup, I daily mine too (it's actually my only car, and works well that way despite that). Currently sitting just shy of 20k miles. It's still a Honda at the end of the day, and I'll probably ride this one until it dies :p

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
I really wish I could set the suspension to comfort and the engine response to sport/+R. I hate the rev hang in comfort, but it's either that or get bounced around everywhere.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I really wish I could set the suspension to comfort and the engine response to sport/+R. I hate the rev hang in comfort, but it's either that or get bounced around everywhere.
I didn’t feel like the rev hang is any worse in any of the other modes.
Sponsored