For those who DD the Type R - which drive mode?

Which drive mode(s) do you use most?

• Total voters

fk8_#798

First Name
pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic is fully built engine and tranny supercharged e85 , 2017 civic touring 1.5t sedan., 2017 civic type r hatchback 2.0 turbocharged
100% of the time i m in sport mode. i have used the R mode maybe 6 times since i had the car (6/24/17) . i enjoy the R mood but since shes my daily i try to not get on her like that.. unless i hear 3 beeps from the other lane .... tee he he
Sponsored

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone drive 100+ miles daily?
I would imagine no one is doing that to a Type R. I can't imagine filling up every three days and paying for premium. My commute is 1.6 miles and I take my wife's car every chance I get so I don't put that wear on my R.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I would imagine no one is doing that to a Type R. I can't imagine filling up every three days and paying for premium. My commute is 1.6 miles and I take my wife's car every chance I get so I don't put that wear on my R.
I do around 80 per day . All freeway miles . And yes I have to fill up every 3 days . 80mph+ Gets 20mpg

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I'm planning to do 80 miles a day. It's a Honda, it will be fine. I currently daily my WRX about 21k miles a year, with premium gas and it only gets 22 mpg. I see a lot of SUVs on the road that I'm sure get worse gas mileage. And with 165,000 miles on the clock, I spend more in maintenance (service, tires, repairs) than I do for gas in the WRX (14 cents a mile for gas, about 20 cents a mile for maintenance, I keep my cars very well maintained and get good tires, alignments often, etc.). The Honda will get better gas mileage than the WRX and it should be cheaper to maintain, so I don't see any problems with driving it a lot. (flat 4 engines are cool and all, but it means more labor to fix things) I'm quite excited to drive such a fun car everyday and I don't think the per mile costs for the CTR are crazy compared to the average "boring" car. I do wish the gas tank was bigger!

Last edited:

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
~24 miles one way, so 48-50 round trip, 3 times a week. R+ mode every time. No ragrets.

Sport mode is also good. I tried doing the commute in Comfort mode for a full week to compare. Gas mileage was about the same and braking felt like I was stepping on a pillow. No thanks.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried +R mode and really found it to be quite drivable even on roads that are nowhere close to smooth. I started driving in it more honestly, I love the way the tach turns red showing this car is ready for prime time.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
I used to ride around in Comfort mode all the time since I was used to poodling around in an Audi A5 prior to the CTR. These days, it's probably split 60/40 between Sport and +R modes.

R-00123

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 type r fk8
Country flag
80% sport out of laziness as many of us have said.
10% +R for fun times
10% comfort when ever for what ever.
Have had it 15 months now and about 12,500 miles.

But recently I've been enjoying comfort more, I'm not a fan of the lessened throttle in-put. ( not really a fan of the feel of drive-by-wire at all but what are you gonna do? And it could just be me but the rev-hang seems less apparent in comfort) But overall I like the steering feel in comfort. I also wish the steering feel wasn't so consistent between being stopped and moving. Comfort feels like my 98 integer while moving and sport feels like the Integra while its stopped but still running.

If anyone knows of a way to stop the car from defaulting to sport on startup and instead defaulting to the last mode it was in please tell me. It would also be nice to mix and match the three aspects: steering, throttle and suspension for a 'custom' mode.

Acc0rd79

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2013 Nissan GTR, 2001 Honda Prelude, 1991 Honda Prelude Si
Country flag
I just start up the car and leave it in sport. I've used comfort a few times but it's a pretty nice ride in sport. I have a GTR and you HAVE to put that in comfort if you want any bit of a nice ride, the suspension on that car is just too rough for the casual drive around town.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i am constantly switching mine , depending on the road conditions and traffic.

is this bad?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Depends on traffic and road conditions. If traffic is bad, I'll be roaming around in comfort mode as it keeps me from riding people's bumpers and helping out a little with gas mileage, the additional precision over low throttle is very useful here as well, especially for stop-n-go traffic. If traffic is flowing smoothly with open pockets every now and then for passing, I'll be sitting in sport mode. This is more or less my default for driving around during the day with moderate traffic. If the traffic is light and I'm not behind anyone, I'll switch to +R mode. Also, if traffic clears up, I may also switch it up a notch or two, for example if I'm the only one on an on ramp or off ramp that swirls around, I may go into +R mode and have my 10 seconds of fun :D

ChrisB

PRL & Hondata Top Fan
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
If I have the family in the car, I'll flip it to comfort, if it's just me I'll flip it to +R (if I remember) and get a little rowdy.