For those of us who are Handicapped.......

How do you feel about people in handicap spots who aren't?

• Total voters

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This isn't totally related to just civics, so if it gets deleted , I'll under stand, but I'm handicapped , and have the proper tags on my car saying so.
When I see people parking in a handicapped spot with no tags,or cards hanging from the mirror, it totally infuriates me. Even more so, when you constantly tell store managers about this issue and they do nothing about it, almost every time I go to Wal-Mart,there are always at least five cars parked in the spots that shouldn't be.
So I just wanted to hear if this irritates others as much as it does me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In fairness to the store I don't think there's anything they can do about it. The police can ticket the vehicle though.
Well,Wal-Mart especially have security driving around their parking lots constantly. They should be able to do something. I know not all places can do that though.

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
I am a Disabled Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces and have Disabled Veterans license plates as well a a permanent blue placard. Not all wounds and injuries are visible. I can tell you it is harder to get DV plates than the ISA plates. On topic, I don’t judge people who have proper identification to park in Disabled parking. I do have a problem with people who park in Disabled parking for convince b/c someone had to run into the store real quick. Now if I see there are no more spots except for one left and I see someone who needs the parking spot more than me i.e. wheelchair accessible then I don’t mind parking farther.

Just be careful to quickly judge who needs to park in Disabled parking.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am a Disabled Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces and have Disabled Veterans license plates as well a a permanent blue placard. Not all wounds and injuries are visible. I can tell you it is harder to get DV plates than the ISA plates. On topic, I don’t judge people who have proper identification to park in Disabled parking. I do have a problem with people who park in Disabled parking for convince b/c someone had to run into the store real quick. Now if I see there are no more spots except for one left and I see someone who needs the parking spot more than me i.e. wheelchair accessible then I don’t mind parking farther.

Just be careful to quickly judge who needs to park in Disabled parking.
I agree, most times I'll just park somewhere because I can walk , some people can't, I just get ticked like you said, when people without proper tags do it. My wife is also disabled,she however can't walk so far,so those are the times I need those spots the most, even she's with me.
I REALLY have issues with my neighbors and their friends who park in our spot that was actually put in for us in front of our apartment. Knowing its out and we are disabled,yet they park there anyway even when there are spots elsewhere.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in the infuriated group. Seeing some able bodied person park in a handicapped space just because it's closer to a store sickens me. I'm not handicapped myself but my wife did have handicapped tags due to her illness (her legs were weak and balance poor).

Probably the most disgusting thing I've seen happened many years ago. My mom was getting radiation treatments at the hospital and I'd take her there. There was a special group of close up parking spaces for patients getting treated. The signs clearly said "for radiation patients only". But, those spaces often were taken by people just visiting the hospital! That made me so f'in angry.

DevilDoc8542

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R Polished Metal Metallic #9206, 2018 Ford F 150 Raptor Lead Foot Gray
I wish there is more we can do to protect Disabled parking. One day someone pissed me off. It was raining and a vehicle parked in Disabled parking and had a blue placard. The entire family literally ran from their vehicle into Walmart!! I saw them inside and made the comment of how fast they were running from the handicapped parking spot to the door. The husband said his wife had hip surgery 2 years ago and their placard doesn’t expire for another 2 years so they are allowed to park there. But at how fast they ran in seems to me she recovered really well from her surgery.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People who park in handicapped spots without being handicapped pisses me off. They are just ignorant A holes and part of what's wrong in America these days. Also dickheads that don't use turn signals.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work in a nearly abandoned building. An old telco office built back in the 60s that was constructed to support over 1000 employees or more. Currently there are at most, maybe 20 people in the building max. Most of the time there are between 5 and 10. Automation is a bitch. I digress.

There are six or seven disabled parking stalls in front of the building. Realistically, every person working in the building could use one and still leave one or two open for a visitor that actually needed to park there. But we don't.

It's a matter of respect for others and not taking for granted the health and vitality you have to be able to walk across a parking lot. Not everyone can do that.

When you park in a disabled parking space without the need to do so, you are effectively saying "I value 30 seconds of my time over the pain and suffering of someone else."

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People who park in handicapped spots without being handicapped pisses me off. They are just ignorant A holes and part of what's wrong in America these days. Also dickheads that don't use turn signals.
You said it perfectly. The turn signal thing pisses me off to,as well as drivers who drive at night with no lights on.I'm not even kidding,I see a lot of that.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work in a nearly abandoned building. An old telco office built back in the 60s that was constructed to support over 1000 employees or more. Currently there are at most, maybe 20 people in the building max. Most of the time there are between 5 and 10. Automation is a bitch. I digress.

There are six or seven disabled parking stalls in front of the building. Realistically, every person working in the building could use one and still leave one or two open for a visitor that actually needed to park there. But we don't.

It's a matter of respect for others and not taking for granted the health and vitality you have to be able to walk across a parking lot. Not everyone can do that.

When you park in a disabled parking space without the need to do so, you are effectively saying "I value 30 seconds of my time over the pain and suffering of someone else."
I just can't get over how lazy it seems people have become nowadays,and the laziness has turned into disrespect . I don't mind walking ,I thank God I still can,there are sometimes when I can't do it well though, I probably get guidebooks like someone mentioned above at times, but my spine is fused together at three levels,and sometimes ,especially with crappy weather, I have a ton of pain.

Last edited:

Aurora_Usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
I agree, most times I'll just park somewhere because I can walk , some people can't, I just get ticked like you said, when people without proper tags do it. My wife is also disabled,she however can't walk so far,so those are the times I need those spots the most, even she's with me.
I REALLY have issues with my neighbors and their friends who park in our spot that was actually put in for us in front of our apartment. Knowing its out and we are disabled,yet they park there anyway even when there are spots elsewhere.
Very few people who are in wheelchairs are that disabled that they require specialized accommodations to drive a car. In fact, many more people who require the special accommodations only have a weakness or loss of strength in the particular leg or arm and don’t require a wheelchair at all. Most individuals who use wheelchairs are limited or disabled for varying reasons like right here . It is the same as the assumption that you need to use a wheelchair to use a handicap parking space. Individuals who are disabled are only visible if they have an assistive device but we should all be considerate because we don’t know what their story or diagnosis is. Discrimination is common especially from people who have the perception that disability should be visible.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
wut pisses me off even more is most these freaks who have handicapped tags are gross white trash who arent even handicapped! they just collect a social security check every month and drive pick up trucks and shit.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Considering how many wounded veteran we have from the decade of war, I hate anyone who abuses the handicap spot....it is just couple more extra steps of inconveniences.
Sponsored