For the parents: three child car seats?

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm well aware this might not be the most popular topic out there, but have any of the parents here, with young children, tried putting in three child car seats at once? If the wife and I schedule accordingly, my oldest will be in a booster seat (I think), my second will be in a front-facing car seat (for sure) and the third would be in a car seat base (for sure).

Has anyone attempted this?
Sponsored

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm guessing this will be challenging for a couple of reasons...

1. As far as I know, there are only left and right LATCH points in the backseat of the Civic. So you'd have to double latch the middle seat assuming you use LATCH (which you should)
  2. Speaking from experience using a much bigger car, those seats with a base, especially the front and rear facing seats, are beasts and take up a lot of room. So even if #1 above wasn't an issue, three car seats may not physically fit in the backseat of a Civic

Last edited:

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm well aware this might not be the most popular topic out there, but have any of the parents here, with young children, tried putting in three child car seats at once? If the wife and I schedule accordingly, my oldest will be in a booster seat (I think), my second will be in a front-facing car seat (for sure) and the third would be in a car seat base (for sure).

Has anyone attempted this?
Hi there,
I've installed 3 child car seats in the 2nd row of my Civic sedan without any issues. All 3 are front-facing convertible car seats with a 5 point harness. It helps that one of them is a Diono Rainier, which is slightly narrower than the average seat.

In the center you would need to use the seat-belt for installation though because as ResortCasual said only the sides have LATCH points.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

1. As far as I know, there are only left and right LATCH points in the backseat of the Civic. So you'd have to double latch the middle seat assuming you use LATCH (which you should)
  2. Speaking from experience using a much bigger car, those seats with a base, especially the front and rear facing seats, are beasts and take up a lot of room. So even if #1 above wasn't an issue, three car seats may not physically fit in the backseat of a Civic
Correct, only left and right seats have latch points. Which brands did you have?

Hi there,
I've installed 3 child car seats in the 2nd row of my Civic sedan without any issues. All 3 are front-facing convertible car seats with a 5 point harness. It helps that one of them is a Diono Rainier, which is slightly narrower than the average seat.

In the center you would need to use the seat-belt for installation though because as ResortCasual said only the sides have LATCH points.
Thanks, this is actually what I was getting at. You had the Diono Rainier seat and what other brands? The diono is available at the regular baby stores or on amazon? I found some website, that looks like it’s from the 80s, that’s discussed the brands that fit across. I wasn’t sure if it was legit or not.

Thanks

tc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The other two car seats are Britax Boulevard and Evenflo Maestro. I hope that helps.

Correct, only left and right seats have latch points. Which brands did you have?

Thanks, this is actually what I was getting at. You had the Diono Rainier seat and what other brands? The diono is available at the regular baby stores or on amazon? I found some website, that looks like it’s from the 80s, that’s discussed the brands that fit across. I wasn’t sure if it was legit or not.

Thanks

Thanks

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag

The LATCH system is actually not any safer than using a seatbelt if they are both installed correctly. LATCH is aimed at making it easier to install properly.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The LATCH system is actually not any safer than using a seatbelt if they are both installed correctly. LATCH is aimed at making it easier to install properly.
I actually do all three with the two seats now: latch, seatbelt and anchor. Can’t be too safe!
Sponsored