For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
There are very few cars I would pay MSRP for. The Type R is definitely not one of them. But hey man, it's your money so do as you please. And thanks for helping keep the auto manufacturers in business by paying MSRP - bargain hunters such as myself salute you for that :thumbsup:
:rolleyes1: Ok sounds good. Enjoy your Fit Sport, valiant bargain hunter!
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to even out your data set, you should probably post an equivalent poll on the Type R forum asking owners that switched from the SI if they regret their decision. This is kind of like asking the members of a Focus ST forum if they'd ever trade for an SI. :dunno:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
:rolleyes1: Ok sounds good. Enjoy your Fit Sport, valiant bargain hunter!
Easy there cowboy - you do realize what you are driving, right? Oh wait, it's not a Civic - IT'S A TYPE R!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Easy there cowboy - you do realize what you are driving, right? Oh wait, it's not a Civic - IT'S A TYPE R!
Yep, it is! Enjoy comparing cars that you've never driven, champ. :thumbsup:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No need to get defensive with the guy, let him go on thinking the STI is a better handling car. When I was like 16 years old I also thought the STI was the car to have, after driving several of them it's quite apparent that it has gotten fairly mediocre over the years which is why it is going away to be refreshed so they can get rid of that tired unreliable EJ motor.

To post my experience with moving from the Si to the Type R, I will say the Type R is awesome and the performance is worth the money. At MSRP it is actually bargain how much car you get for the money. I must say though that it is not all sunshine and rainbows. Only Type R fanboys will tell you that the Type R is better in every way to the Si, the Type R is not right for everyone. I miss my heated mirrors, seats, lane watch, quiet brakes and that mid range torque. My Si was modded to hell, so it was nice to not have to drop a gear and rev it out to redline for passing or just picking up speed. That being said I love the space in the R, love the seating position, stock tires, and the confidence you have at high speeds through corners. The R surprisingly drives super smooth too for daily driving in comfort, the torque is not as jarring and the power up top is so much fun. My gf use to become a bobble head when I wanted to drive the Si spiritedly because of dipping into boost so quickly and with how much torque it had. In the Type R she is quite comfortable, loves the seats, and I can have a little fun driving without necessarily dipping into boost so hard every time.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Yep, never driven either because I've never considered owning either. Don't get me wrong, they are both great cars when you compare them to other 4 door grocery getters. Plus they look fast, especially the Type R with all the fake vents and scoops. But to stay on topic, I'd still never give up my Si to pay MSRP for one.

Davaughn W.

First Name
Davaughn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I didn't like the looks as much as a lightly aesthetically modded Civic Si coupe, also not a fan of the aesthetics of the CTR. Function over form is always a motto to go by for me, but in this case I just couldn't get over the looks and got the Si Coupe. As a Honda Salesperson I made my own car deals, and paid invoice. Which means price wasn't an issue, as I could've bought one at invoice, with having that said the CTR without a doubt is an amazing car but not for me, but I can understand and agree with other opinions.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a great car, yes, however respectfully you forgot to calculate for inflation in your price tag statement.

A 2000 ITR when new was 25,000 USD. Here's what that looks like today. Source: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

The Si now is the ITR then, a back to basics sporty car. After the time and $ I've spent on my Si build to date, I can see perfectly how Honda justifies that price tag and very fairly actually, excluding dealer mark up which I think is foolish to begin with let alone 2.5+ years after the car's launch.
upload_2019-11-4_10-37-43.png
That’s fine and a reasonable argument for the car being a good value. When a car has a lower trim that starts as X-dollars... and the higher trims double (or more) than the lower trims, I tend to shy off on that highest priced trim being terribly relevant so far as value is concerned. There’s a sweet spot to me that’s somewhere in the middle between barebones and top-trim. The CTR is kind of a dark horse being less well equipped than a touring but being balls to the walls for performance. I just see the Civic as residing at a certain point. For me, the CTR is over price for the model... despite its performance-per-dollar being competitive. I’d never spend $35-40k for a car that started its life as essentially an economy car, no matter what special bits and low volume powertrain it might have. Evos were still rattle box Lancers. An STI still not much more car than rental Base Imprezas I’ve gotten on vacation. It’s how I feel about all the cars in that range.

But that’s the cheap bastard in me talking. (shrug) What feels right to me doesn’t (and shouldn’t) have to apply to anyone else.

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I didn't like the looks as much as a lightly aesthetically modded Civic Si coupe, also not a fan of the aesthetics of the CTR. Function over form is always a motto to go by for me, but in this case I just couldn't get over the looks and got the Si Coupe. As a Honda Salesperson I made my own car deals, and paid invoice. Which means price wasn't an issue, as I could've bought one at invoice, with having that said the CTR without a doubt is an amazing car but not for me, but I can understand and agree with other opinions.
Same thing here. I too bought the Si coupe over the Type R. The hatchback is just flat out ugly.

Davaughn W.

First Name
Davaughn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The whole "$40k for a Civic..." argument is just silly. The difference between an Si and the Type R is the difference between a BMW 328 and an M3. You don't see people saying ugh $67k for what is essentially a 3 series. Base Mustang and Shelby GT350 are night and day even though they are both "just Mustangs".

The M3 premium is justified over the base model, the GT350 premium is justified over the GT, and the Type R premium is justified over other Civics. The Type R is a properly good car in every measure, Civic or not.
The difference is nowhere near that vast, considering that the fastest modified Civic Si is almost 2 seconds faster than the fastest modified CTR.

BrandonCTRWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-2003 VW Jetta GLI VR6
Country flag
When I bought my Si in February the salesman offered me the CTR in the showroom for MSRP and seemed shocked when I laughed. I'm a 47 year old man who commutes 18,000 miles a year. The Type R's looks, seats, suspension, mileage, and single-purposeness all make the idea absurd imo.
I daily drive my Type R roughly the exact same mileage a year except on WV’s cratered roads, and its a perfect daily driver. It has a few things small things, the main would be jus watching what ya hit with the 30series tires, but other than that, like I said, perfect daily driver. In Comfort Mode it rides better than most sedans on lots right now. Im 41, 6’2. Wouldnt trade mine for anything anywhere near what they cost. I do love the SI coupes though!

cafecito820

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With one caveat - it has to been GREEN. Then yes, yes all day long.

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Nah.
The CTR is clearly, indisputably, a better performance vehicle.
It just is.
It has a stronger engine, and actual functional aero.

But I like my Si.
The CTR is too aggressive aesthetically, and doesn't have the creature comforts I've gotten used to.
The Si is sexier and more aggressive than base Civics, but it doesn't look like a toy like the CTR does. It's look is a bit more refined.

But I SWEAR, to Heaven and Hell, if I could put CTR internals into my Si's body, without spending a shit ton of money... I would do it without hesitation.

If Honda had put the CTR's guts into the Si's body.... I'd have all the performance I want, in the slim sophisticated look that I like.