For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
The CTR is just too loud for my tastes aesthetically as a daily. Would only consider it if i was looking for a second fun track car. And i would probably stick with RWD at that. Plus i only drive 15-20 miles a day and my car sits outside at work all day with no shade. Would feel terrible exposing such a nice car on the daily. And all that performance would be wasted. Don’t feel so bad with my $22k Si. It fits the bill nicely for my situation.
Sponsored

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
The CTR is just too loud for my tastes aesthetically as a daily. Would only consider it if i was looking for a second fun track car. And i would probably stick with RWD at that. Plus i only drive 15-20 miles a day and my car sits outside at work all day with no shade. Would feel terrible exposing such a nice car on the daily. And all that performance would be wasted. Don’t feel so bad with my $22k Si. It fits the bill nicely for my situation.
I am in this same boat... but I still lust for the type R, after driving my Si I can only imagine how much better the R is in every facet. I will either have that or a MKVIII golf R when they come out. Or possibly a next gen WRX or STi depending if they bring the hatch back!

Subarashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Q60 RWD 3.0, 1998 6th Gen Honda Accord (400K+ Miles, Still running strong)
Country flag
Well when I got the 2019 Si, it was because my EBP Si had about 8 grand in repairs. I had no choice whatsoever. CTR is nice.. really nice. I've got a buddy and daily drives one but he has said on record that if he had to do it all over again, he prolly wouldn't. CTR is great.. no doubt. But my Si is too lovely to let go. He gets hit up for races all the time and that's one thing that he doesn't like.
Yeah.....That happened a lot in my BRZ it got old real fast. Sometimes I'm just driving aggressively to go to work, and I pass a mustang for driving slow and then they get "triggered" lol

I'm still shopping around for an Si at the moment, I tried to look around but the stealership nearest to me.....doesn't allow test drives and still wants 5K over MSRP, he didn't like it when I asked him if he marries a woman without getting to know her lol

civic5x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R, '16 Civic Sedan Touring, 2016 Land Rover LR4
Country flag
I am a 57 yrs old man and drive a Type R as my daily driver. I use my '16 Touring sedan for my dog hauler. Live long, die young. :) My wife drives a Landrover LR4 so we have the big car thing covered.

When I bought my Si in February the salesman offered me the CTR in the showroom for MSRP and seemed shocked when I laughed. I'm a 47 year old man who commutes 18,000 miles a year. The Type R's looks, seats, suspension, mileage, and single-purposeness all make the idea absurd imo.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I am in this same boat... but I still lust for the type R, after driving my Si I can only imagine how much better the R is in every facet. I will either have that or a MKVIII golf R when they come out. Or possibly a next gen WRX or STi depending if they bring the hatch back!
I’m thinking that Acura is going to release something like a Type R for those of us in our 50s and 60s.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. It's an amazing machine... and, on a performance level, can beat cars on the track costing much... much more. When viewed in that light, I can see the argument for them. For one who always wanted a Type R... is older and has made their money... I can respect their decision to buy one. It is their money.

But... IMO... no CIvic is worth ~40k. $20-25k is where they belong. Past that... regardless of the performance, the price tag no longer fits the car. Just my opinion...

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Nope. Never even considered a Type R. For that kind of money, I'd go with an AWD STI. Way more bang for your buck.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. It's an amazing machine... and, on a performance level, can beat cars on the track costing much... much more. When viewed in that light, I can see the argument for them. For one who always wanted a Type R... is older and has made their money... I can respect their decision to buy one. It is their money.

But... IMO... no CIvic is worth ~40k. $20-25k is where they belong. Past that... regardless of the performance, the price tag no longer fits the car. Just my opinion...
It's a great car, yes, however respectfully you forgot to calculate for inflation in your price tag statement.

A 2000 ITR when new was 25,000 USD. Here's what that looks like today. Source: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

The Si now is the ITR then, a back to basics sporty car. After the time and $ I've spent on my Si build to date, I can see perfectly how Honda justifies that price tag and very fairly actually, excluding dealer mark up which I think is foolish to begin with let alone 2.5+ years after the car's launch.
Honda Civic 10th gen For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP? upload_2019-11-4_10-37-43

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Nope. Never even considered a Type R. For that kind of money, I'd go with an AWD STI. Way more bang for your buck.
Except that an equivalently equipped STI Limited stickers for over $41K. It also has an inferior power band and in non-snow conditions performs worse than the R in every metric except a drag race from a dead stop. And if drag racing from a stop is your goal, then both cars are not right for you.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Except that an equivalently equipped STI Limited stickers for over $41K. It also has an inferior power band and in non-snow conditions performs worse than the R in every metric except a drag race from a dead stop. And if drag racing from a stop is your goal, then both cars are not right for you.
What the car stickers for and what people are actually paying are two entirely different things. The fact that the boxer engine sits lower in the chassis which equates to a lower center of gravity means the car is going to handle a lot better especially in the corners. I would not deny that either of them are drag racers but from stop light to stop light, I know which one is going to be more fun.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
What the car stickers for and what people are actually paying are two entirely different things. The fact that the boxer engine sits lower in the chassis which equates to a lower center of gravity means the car is going to handle a lot better especially in the corners. I would not deny that either of them are drag racers but from stop light to stop light, I know which one is going to be more fun.
I can only say that having driven both, I did not find the STI to have better handling. Most reviewers seem to echo this sentiment as well. Throttle House actually found the STI to be more prone to understeer than the R. It’s also slower around professional courses in almost every comparison performed by automotive journalists (MotorTrend being the most recent one that comes to mind).

There are many people who pay sticker for both cars (myself included), so a comparison of MSRP is valid.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are many people who pay sticker for both cars (myself included), so a comparison of MSRP is valid.
There are very few cars I would pay MSRP for. The Type R is definitely not one of them. But hey man, it's your money so do as you please. And thanks for helping keep the auto manufacturers in business by paying MSRP - bargain hunters such as myself salute you for that :thumbsup:

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn’t, for the price of a ctr, there are other cars I would much prefer. I’m not into autocross or road racing mainly because there aren’t many places here for that. I always tell myself “$40k for a civic” and that usually turns me away real quick haha
Sponsored