For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kcswann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Work at dealership , driven multiple Rs , I’ve sold, sold extra product and had to bring to one of our other locations, and I’ve even delivered an R to one of my customers ... needless to say I’ve driven enough to know what I WOULD pay for one... if I could get it for 30 K I’d buy one ... I love my si, I love the R , but I can’t justify even MSRP ... because there’s plenty of other vehicles at that price tag I’d want

TPA_CivicSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The spoiler and lack of coupe is what really did it for me. If there was no spoiler and a coupe version I would have looked very hard at them, and figured out how to stretch my budget to do so. As it is, though I'm used to it now, the Si coupe spoiler is kinda too much.
My feelings exactly. If I could get the R in a coupe, with a sun roof, and with out the giant wing, I'd consider it. That said, I'm quite happy with the SI six months in. I am thinking about FP+DP to add a bit more power out of it than the K-Tuner gives me.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
If I didn’t have any ND Miata probably, but that fills all the fun driving attributes of the CTR for me...other than straight line speed. Still thinking about turbo charging the Miata but for that price I can have an under warranty CTR.

However, the Si has impressed me so much that after my lease is up I will buy a CTR for a daily driver. Who knows maybe they will have the AWD model out for us northerners.

Plus I love love love Hatchbacks! From the look to the functionality. Must be my European ancestry and sensibility. Also coming from Golf R and GTI.

Also I wouldn’t go over MSRP, ever

Yonder

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TYPE R COUPE WOULD END ANY OTHER CAR BUYING FOR ME FOR A LONG TIME
AGREED!!! That thing would look so sweet!

Honestly i just want to see how much better the handling is. power?? who cares! clearly our 1.5's can make CTR numbers no problem. There was a thread not too long ago and the guy had an SI and then got the CTR and wrote "if the SI's handling is an 8, then the CTR is a 12". I need to find out for myself how much better it really is.

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
While I'd love to own one, the SI fits my needs perfectly. Considering I got a deal on my Si, it wound up being some $13k cheaper than a Type R. My car needs to be dependable so I can get to work, but my big $$$ car has to be a SUV for the wife and kids. Once my kids are grown it's game on.

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 2019 Honda Fit Sport 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th AE
Country flag
If I didn’t have any ND Miata probably, but that fills all the fun driving attributes of the CTR for me...other than straight line speed.
I feel the same way. I had a modified 2010 MX-5 and sold it for a 2019 30th Anniversary. The CTR is faster in a straight line but nothing compares to a lightweight RWD sports car for outright fun. I also autocross a lot and the ND is faster than the CTR at that. lol.

The Si is an inexpensive, fun daily driver and that's all I needed.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I like the engine of the CTR, not the body, the spoiler, the exhaust...
I CHOOSED to order an SI coupe, I could have bought a CTR.
Moreover, I invested about 8000 $ to improve the SI and I don't regret anything.

Pekingduck

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Country flag
I think the si and type r are two different cars or at least what Honda was targeting. The type r is a great track car and okay daily driver. The SI is a great daily driver and made for the spirited drive. The upkeep on the type r is higher due to increase tire package, bigger brakes, lower mpg, and being a 4 passenger is being a negative. From a performance stand point trying to catch up to the type r with tune and what not can be done to the same thing to the type r itself if you do similar things. I think people should always evaluate what they need from the car instead of what the car might offer them.

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to things for me, so I bought the Si. I should have gotten a GTi or a WRX, but i'm also fat (well 5'10 and 230) so I don't fit the seats and didn't want to spend another 5k. I actually fit in the CTR, I could have bought one for MSRP, but I'm cheap on my own stuff. I just bought a Passport that costs more than a CTR, so yeah, I could have afforded a CTR.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
I voted yes but it was more towards if financially the monthly payment and maintenance was also realistic for me. People only look at the monthly payment but ignore the maintenance those tires are expensive and your gas mileage will be much lower ( if you can afford it then go for it) as of right now the mortgage on my house and renovations I wanna do and then my 10 month old daughter and all her toys activities ect are reasons I went with the Si over the type r. I also choose the Si because I felt like the couple hundred bucks I save every month can be used on vacations and going out more often which is more important to me then a type r but I do not see anything wrong with people that choose to go with one especially if they can afford everything I mentioned above and still also afford the type r.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
No for the following reasons

Need 3 seats in the rear for kids
Lower insurance cost
Better fuel economy
Easier to flash ecu
Not a fan of the large spoiler
Low ratio tires and NJ roads are a bad match

Make an optional CTR with 3 seats in rear, small spoiler, and 18" wheels, and I would likely be interested.

Reactions: mjh
OP
OP
MONK13

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
I feel the same way. I had a modified 2010 MX-5 and sold it for a 2019 30th Anniversary. The CTR is faster in a straight line but nothing compares to a lightweight RWD sports car for outright fun. I also autocross a lot and the ND is faster than the CTR at that. lol.

The Si is an inexpensive, fun daily driver and that's all I needed.
I ordered a 2019 30th Anniversary MX5 Miata, some glitch with their system wouldnt let me sign up. I was on the waiting list. They gave me call 3 months after i bought my SI. How do you like the 30th Miata? I have several Miata friends but they missed out too.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to things for me, so I bought the Si. I should have gotten a GTi or a WRX, but i'm also fat (well 5'10 and 230) so I don't fit the seats and didn't want to spend another 5k. I actually fit in the CTR, I could have bought one for MSRP, but I'm cheap on my own stuff. I just bought a Passport that costs more than a CTR, so yeah, I could have afforded a CTR.
You are blessed you didn't get the GTi. I"m telling you this as a long time VW enthusiast. Let's just say it would have spent a good amount of time in the shop

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
No for the following reasons

Need 3 seats in the rear for kids
Lower insurance cost
Better fuel economy
Easier to flash ecu
Not a fan of the large spoiler
Low ratio tires and NJ roads are a bad match

Make an optional CTR with 3 seats in rear, small spoiler, and 18" wheels, and I would likely be interested.
Unfortunately the spoiler on the CTR is not about looks. You remove the spoiler or change it's characteristics, you've messed up the aerodynamics and the high speed handling. You change the tires and you mess up the handling and will introduce torque steer. You remove the third exhaust tip (which is actually a resonator) and you introduce excessive drone. It's a car you take as is or you move on
Sponsored