For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Civicbruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2013 Kawasaki ZX6R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I already rage when i see the slightest ding or rock chip on my current Si. Can't believe that feeling would get better on a $35k car. But my fun toys are my bikes for a whole ton cheaper :)

Reactions: DmK

2019SIRallye

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Sedan
Country flag
I'd have to test drive the Type R first to be honest. If I could get rallye red. I'd probably have to get new tires for the MI potholes. My wife loved the look, but I'm not too sure how I feel about it.

bcskelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For where I'm at in life right now, the Si was a better choice for me. Besides being cheaper to buy, maintain, and insure, the Si also has a middle rear seat.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
LOL, Yall are all lying. If you could afford it. You would.. You cant afford it, and thats ok. Shoot, its why I picked up my SI as well. LOL...
I'd be willing to bet at least half of us could have gotten one, myself included. CTR is a focused and well engineered platform. But I've done fast, and was ready for something more practical.

The lack of the 5th seat was ultimately the dealbreaker. The Si checked all the boxes except for HIDs. Something I'll rectify through the aftermarket.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I can afford one. Right now easily.
But my current car payment looks much better for now and I don't have to hear my wife bitching about the manual trans.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LOL, Yall are all lying. If you could afford it. You would.. You cant afford it, and thats ok. Shoot, its why I picked up my SI as well. LOL...
You really ought to see some of the builds on here because people are spending good money on quality mods for the Si in a very short period of time - $5 to $10K in 2 years is more than that you'd pay in difference of extra car payment for a CTR in 2 years. This means they have plenty disposable income to have spent the extra on car payments but don't want to do exactly just that. Their choice like mine is to build a lower trim for all the reasons stated by myself and others above, and not for the purpose of being a CTR beater because the two cars are quite different in their uses - Si is a better daily :)

I don't fault anyone who trades up from Si to CTR, that's one way of going about things. More power to those who are building CTR's because they are budgeting for payments and mods, and wanted a different car overall :thumbsup:

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
The spoiler and lack of coupe is what really did it for me. If there was no spoiler and a coupe version I would have looked very hard at them, and figured out how to stretch my budget to do so. As it is, though I'm used to it now, the Si coupe spoiler is kinda too much.

OBXJOSH

#savethemanuals
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2018 Si Sedan with K-Tuner and TSP Stage 1, White 2018 Forester
Country flag
Not with my 110 mile round trip commute Monday through Friday! The Si is the perfect commuter car for me 99.5% of the time. The other .5% is the couple of times I was caught in heavy snow storms. I came from a 2012 Impreza Sport which I think is an amazing looking car that is woefully under powered and for what it was the gas mileage was not good, but I never felt unsafe in adverse weather conditions in it.

If my commute was just a few miles then maybe, but then again, I may have gone with a Wrangler or truck of some sort if that were the case.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I would just stick with my Si. I've driven the CTR and it's great but not great enough to justify the expense. Honestly,I was a little shocked at how cheap/plasticky the manual throws were. Also, I refuse to buy new, I bought my used Si at a decent price and I hate car dealers and car payments. If my Si got stolen I'd probably buy a used Versa Note lol.

Apeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic SiR, 2017 Civic Si Sedan(MSM)
Country flag
I love the Type R, and I could have gotten one as well, but it didn't fit my use case for the time being. I didn't want to run a low volume, mecha styled, higher cost sports car as my daily. My commute is long enough that i wouldn't want to put that many kms on it and be paranoid about the different areas I'd park it in. Also, my wife just can't get over the rear end of the car, too wild.

I agree with Canadiaeganblue, at the time I purchased, nothing really touched the Si for the price. I'm in Canada as well and the Golf GTI with similar equipment was close enough to 10k more. And the interior was much tighter for my car seat needs. And the hatch wasn't helpful since it is so shallow and I can't fold the seats with car seats installed. There are a bunch of other reasons but the Si felt more of a performance oriented car than the GTI even with less power. Just a more capable chassis and it is the best performance value on the market even looking at the Elantra Sport.

If I was shopping today, I would have a difficult time with cross shopping the GLI and Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT. The GLI has great interior space and a decent trunk. It has a better quality material interior and a nice 2.0T motor and decent handling. I test drove one but it was automatic unfortunately. Felt less nimble and a bit heavier, but it was an enjoyable drive and has the adaptive dampers, LSD and comparable performance equipment to the Si for a few grand more. Very good product.

The Accord would make way more sense for my family duties. And I'd get the sweet interior and 2.0T engine. But I drove one, and it is a beautiful car, but I think the athleticism of the Si has spoiled me a bit. So that would be a tough one.

My IDEAL product would be an Acura TLX or ILX next generation Type S SPORTBACK and/or HATCHBACK with the CTR powertrain and either SHAWD(better launches, handling benefits, overall traction) or FWD(lighter, less complex, tossable, better economy) and the most delicious manual they can mount. I'd love to take the 3.0tt V6 in a TLX sized car as long as it's stick. I'm a simple man...give me three pedals and I'll work with you.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So as you can see Ed (may I call you Ed?), people on this forum come from all walks of life. Some are just starting out in life, some of us are working class, and some of us are upper income level and have two car garages that are more expensive than a lot of homes in the other 49 states. Some are hardcore Honda enthusiasts who want to mod the shit out of their car, and some bought it because it's inexpensive, good on gas, and a funner daily commuter than a Camry:). Not everyone wants to own a $35K hatchback that...let's just say gets a lot of attention.

What I'm saying bro is don't generalize. This is a pretty diverse community

NikkoPH

First Name
Nikko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
Country flag
Nope! Where i am standing now, i can't justify a 35k daily beater. All i wanted is a fun car, great mpg and sporty car. SI simply fits the bill.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would trade for a Type-R. That being said, if they came out with an Si Hatch, I'd take that over the Type-R price/performance wise. I've always preferred hatchbacks over sedans even though I love my current Si
Sponsored