For Si Owners Only: Si vs. Type R --- Would You Give Up Your Si, if Type R was Available for MSRP?

?
  1. YES

2. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MONK13

MONK13 Senior Member

First Name:
    MIKE
    Car(s):
    2019 CIVIC Si Sedan 1997 Toyota Tacoma 351k miles 1993 CIVIC EX 2007 CRV
    Ran into a guy with a 2018 Type R, told him just bought an Si and "wished" I could've afforded the CTR. We discussed the differences and such, he is a Gen Xer whose parents have $$$$ and so he wanted a CTR.... :banghead: (I was born in the wrong generation, if I told my parents I wanted the CTR equivalent in my era, I think the only thing I would've got was a lecture and an ass whoopin for asking, not in that order either.) The CTR guy didn't know me except for the 5 min I spoke to him and he offered to let me take it for a drive! :pickme:

Don't flame me, but I declined :doh::crazy: You know the saying "ignorance is bliss"?, Well, if I drove it, I would've wanted one. Like crack cocaine, I would've been hooked for life, strung out, and selling my body for another chance to drive it....

Which got me to thinking (never a good thing), after all the mods on my Si so far and I'm not done yet, I could almost have purchased the CTR at MSRP +TT&L (many mods would have come standard on the CTR too!). I never looked into finding a CTR for MSRP, but I know I could've found a dealer willing to sell me one some where at some point which brings me to the question...

Would you buy the Type R NOW after owning the Si, if you could get one at MSRP ($38,500 Base OTD minimum)? (But you HAVE to give up your Si, you can't keep both)

Five months later I saw the CTR guy I spoke to was selling his CTR on Craig's List for about $43k with 7500miles on it. It sold or at least it wasn't listed at the end of the week.

2. ToastedSi

ToastedSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    Well, it depends. Right now, I have other financial priorities so I would not be able to afford one, even for MSRP. If I had more $$$, I would totally go for it.

SaintClarence27 thanked this.
  3. JJTHESIPLANE

JJTHESIPLANE Member

First Name:
    Jonathan
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Si Sedan
    If i could get one at invoice I would be tempted. But I love sedans over anything, hence me buying an Si.

rive thanked this.
  4. Nerd-Vol

Nerd-Vol Member

Car(s):
    2019 Si Sedan, 2004 S2000
    #4 Nerd-Vol, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Nope. I need a sporty daily driver not a full out sports car. The S2000 fills the role perfectly.

Also, I can’t justify a $35000 car at this point in my life.

JadedSpade thanked this.
  5. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    #5 amirza786, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    If I wanted to buy a CTR, I would have bought one in the first place. It's an engineering marvel and an awesome car, but to flamboyant and boy racer for me. It's also not practical in my case. The Si on the other hand is extremely practical. If I ever decide to spend CTR type money, it would be spent on a Lexus IS 350

bahndrvr, Ron R and repeet thanked this.
  6. Honda Hopeful

Honda Hopeful Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si
    I would also stick with the Si. Great mileage, good handling, fun car with seating for 5. Dunno why they eliminated the middle rear seat in the CTR, but that was a must have for my family.

repeet thanked this.
  7. 2tone

2tone Senior Member

First Name:
    Anthony
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
    I’ve never driven a CTR but owning one doesn’t interest me much. If anything I wish I bought a cheap project car instead of modding my si but I wouldn’t wish for a more expensive sports car. Mileage, practicality and looks all play a part but also I would still mod the ctr and spend even more anyways. The fun in modding is building something that you really feel is yours, your choice in rims colors and every little mod make the car so much better in my opinion. I could’ve afforded a ctr but I decided to build up an si myself to make it feel more personal. Also for me my first mods if I owned a ctr would be trying to calm its looks down with simpler rims, deleting the red trim and whatever else I could do to make it look cleaner and less boy racer

Yonder and MONK13 thanked this.
  8. 2tone

2tone Senior Member

First Name:
    Anthony
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
    Now if I was rich enough to own a ctr and a nice new daily and also lived close enough to a track I could take my ctr to once or twice a month then I would definitely buy a ctr and not an si and then have a new corolla or something to daily. Excuse the horrible run on sentence

9. Tags

Tags Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si sedan, 2014 Mazda 3 2.5 Touring HB, 2011 Toyota Sienna
    When I bought my Si in February the salesman offered me the CTR in the showroom for MSRP and seemed shocked when I laughed. I'm a 47 year old man who commutes 18,000 miles a year. The Type R's looks, seats, suspension, mileage, and single-purposeness all make the idea absurd imo.

Captaindicki, exit2302 and amirza786 thanked this.
  10. CanadiaegeanBlue

CanadiaegeanBlue Senior Member

Automotive Marketing
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
    We don't have markup in Canada, but I'm sticking to my Si nonetheless, here's why:

- 1.99% vs 6% interest rate at the time in July 2017
    - Gaudy styling which I have gotten used to now, but still I would ditch the wheels, wing, and red tape around the bottom. The Si sedan is a clean, sophisticated car that you wouldn't mind pulling up in to any venue.
    - Limited color selection in Canada then and now. 2017: Black and White.
    - I didn't know the Honda brand then, and bought the Si as a fresh grad out of university with a decent job. Promotions, side income, and more knowledge about the Honda brand put me in a better position to afford Type R over CTR if I were to make a fresh decision 2 years later, BUT the problem is there's too much in the new and even more so used category that I would have over the Type R. Nothing new under $30k CAD touches the Si, and in the used segment you are looking at pre-2015 V8 muscle cars that have high mileage and/or lots of racing, or European sports coupes/sedans that can be maintenance nightmares
    - Lastly, i'm too invested in my Si to start over again with another car which is too similar.

Jason_S, MONK13 and Apeks thanked this.
  11. MattyNice

MattyNice Senior Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si
    Love the R and could afford at Msrp no problem but couldn’t afford constant replacement of those tires and bent rims. I don’t know how any of them go for more than a year at a time without at least one bent rim that daily drive them. I already watch every stretch of pavement (after blowing a tire and bending a rim) and it would be infinitely worse in the r with those rubber bands.

Jason_S and repeet thanked this.
  12. EdwinDrn

EdwinDrn Senior Member

First Name:
    Edwin
    Car(s):
    Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
    LOL, Yall are all lying. If you could afford it. You would.. You cant afford it, and thats ok. Shoot, its why I picked up my SI as well. LOL...

iCECORE and zakarybeach thanked this.
  13. MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    I would go for it in a heartbeat. I love my Si, but c'mon, it's a Type R.

14. ripcord291

ripcord291 Member

First Name:
    Cliff
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
    Si all day for me. As a daily driver it offers more for me and my family. 5 seater and sunroof and heated seats and the MPG and it handles great. Only thing I didn't like about the Si was the power. I just added the tsp tune and I know it's not type R power but it did turn this car into what the Si should've been off the car lot. I love what the type R can do but I don't go to the track and if I did it wouldn't be enough to justify getting a type R over the Si. No regrets on pick Si over type R.

15. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    #15 amirza786, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    So what you are saying is that all of us on this forum are poor, still in HS, and we all have the same tastes in cars. My Toyota Sienna costed more than a CTR, I wonder how I afforded that. Pass me some of that crack you've been smoking LOL

mjh, Ron R, lowrysam and 2 others thanked this.