First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gonna order the harder kit for my my rexing dash cam, I've seen other kits where guys had to use an add a fuse thing, but looks like the rexing plugs right into the fuse box. Does it have a fuse built into it?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I do not have one.

But I did nose around after reading your post. It looks like the fuse is built into the harness and cannot be swapped out if it blows. Most of the reviews say this is a really dumb design. But the thing *is* protected. However... if it blows; it looks like you will be buying a new harness unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

My dashcam is semi-hardwired as it plugs into my 12V accessory socket via a 12V to USB converter. It's hidden enough for me. But the cool thing is that I can just unplug the cam's wire from there and plug it into a USB power pack when I want the cam to keep recording (like in a parking lot). The power pack sits on that little shelf back there and is easy to connect.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charge...6E4C4AQ52WR&psc=1&refRID=TA5W50Y496E4C4AQ52WR

I suppose you could build a DIY harness similar to the Rexing to do the same thing. It just depends on what you want and how you want it.

But one other thing is that, by using the 12V outlet, HONDA wont give you shit about your 'aftermarket electronics' if you have an issue. Pull one plug and it's outta' there.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I was more concerned about the fuse slot I choose with that thing being protected since I wasn't sure if that rexing kit did have the fuse in it. I would assume it's at least a 20 amp one.
I actually have my camera plugged in through the cigarette type adapter now, it's not an issue for me look wise, but it seems to be what's making my radio unlistenable. Rexing said the hardwire kit was gonna stop it and said they would send me one, so I'll see what pans out with it.

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yikes. So you believe the camera or the transformer is causing interference? I'd be curious to see if an alternate power source caused the same issues. Rexing so far hasn't impressed me with their design logic.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes. So you believe the camera or the transformer is causing interference? I'd be curious to see if an alternate power source caused the same issues. Rexing so far hasn't impressed me with their design logic.
I'm not sure. I will say one thing about rexing , their support has been great. I messed up a cable having to uninstall them from one Civic to the new one and they sent me everything new for free, and now two years later, they are sending me the free hardwire kit. The camera itself has been great through two summers and Winters, so I can't complain.
One thing I forgot to ask, you seem to know a bit about this stuff, how do you leave the camera on all the time in parking mode without it draining your car battery? Or is that not an issue?

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like the kit to do that has two different power wires. One attaches to switched power and the other goes to constant. I'm assuming that the cam switches back and forth as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/REXING-Smart...JZ13WED6QM0&psc=1&refRID=8VWWN9MGMJZ13WED6QM0
Yea, that's the kit for the second gen v1 with the wifi, the kit for mine only has the one plug and it tells you to pick weather you want a constant power or ignition only fuse slot. The directions on it are very lacking, lol

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did see that these cut off power when your battery gets below 11 volts or so, which is great so my battery won't be dead, but what's the use running it all night if it's eventually gonna shut off ? I did also see that the fuse in that is 15 amps.

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It looks like there's a parking mode that only records when the thing senses a disturbance in the (G) force. So it has available power to record if your car gets bumped. But it isn't going to record continuously.

But if you parked near a busy train track where that mode would get activated often; the cam would just stop once the battery level got too low.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like there's a parking mode that only records when the thing senses a disturbance in the (G) force. So it has available power to record if your car gets bumped. But it isn't going to record continuously.

But if you parked near a busy train track where that mode would get activated often; the cam would just stop once the battery level got too low.
My camera didn't have that until I just installed the latest firmware. It works just as described, but only mine is working from the internal battery in the camera since i don't have it hardwired yet. I just discovered my camera is defective as the battery won't charge at all though, so I gotta contact rexing about that.
What I'm still not totally clear on though even after looking this up,if my camera is hardwired for constant power, I'm not sure how it's going to go into sleep mode the way it does now,it shuts off 5 seconds after I shut off the ignition. Then if it's Jared it starts recording ,or at least would if the battery was charged. But with the constant power I'm just not sure how it's gonna work.
I'm probably just worrying about stupid stuff at this point, gotta get a camera that works correctly first, lol

GITS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I did see that these cut off power when your battery gets below 11 volts or so, which is great so my battery won't be dead, but what's the use running it all night if it's eventually gonna shut off ? I did also see that the fuse in that is 15 amps.
Wanted to expand on the 15amp fuse subject. I'm currently planning my Rexing V1P install for my 2017 hatch sport and saw there aren't any safe 15 amp connections in the cabin fuse box. Which leaves the engine bay fuse box. Really don't want to tamper with waterproofing and wiring if avoidable.

I'm waiting on Rexing support for advice see if V1P can use other add-a-fuse kits using 10amp fuses. Curious if anyone knows if soldering/rewiring 10amp fuses onto the hardwire fuse kit is also viable?

Thanks!
Sponsored