Foot Slipping Off Clutch

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
Anyone else find the clutch pedal really slippery esp in the winter or rain? Feels like the little rubber notches don't really do much.. Or maybe i'm not stepping on it correctly? I tend to use my toes to clutch out.
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone else find the clutch pedal really slippery esp in the winter or rain? Feels like the little rubber notches don't really do much.. Or maybe i'm not stepping on it correctly? I tend to use my toes to clutch out.
I've found it dependant on my shoes. I have some Reeboks that have no grip on the pedal when they are wet. Several pair of Nikes that have no trouble.

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
Yep, it's rather annoying. Will likely swap at least the clutch pedal at some point because of this. It's minor, but my foot does slide around on the pedal enough to be annoying.

TheAsianNguyen

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Like what 360glitch says, It's really dependent on the shoes. When I drive with my Nike Free Runs, its completely fine until a rainy day goes by. And when my shoes are wet, I slip a lot. Solution is to keep another pair of shoes in the car and make them "dedicated driving shoes." Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just helps on those days when you need them.

OP
OP

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
yea.. i was considering that.... it's so annoying to drive with dress shoes / winter boots.. need my sneakers

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yea.. i was considering that.... it's so annoying to drive with dress shoes / winter boots.. need my sneakers
I have a pair of Vans I use solely for driving my car. The dress shoes I wear for work did not cut it. The vans are made for gripping skateboards and they grip the clutch very well. My sneakers are worn but they were better than the dress shoes. I think shoe choice matters a lot more for driving manual vehicles versus automatics.

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
I wear skater shoes too. So light and you feel the clutch better.
Try driving in longhorns or dock martins with 2+ inches of rubber under your feet. Feels like the clutch isn't there when you press down

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Your using your toes because the clutch is so "light". If you drove a heavy clutch you would soon adopt using a more substantial part of your foot.

I use the "balls" of my foot most of the time, though sometimes the pedal sits in the arch of my foot. I developed this after decades of pushing on the clutches attached to V8 engines.

Also some of the rubber pads manufactures put on the pedal can be quite slippery. Sometimes you can "rough them up" to give them a better grip. Thankfully I haven't had any problems with the Si's pedal.

Good Luck!

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
maybe you should not work @ KFC any longer...

happychanga

First Name
Chang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
lol.. those things are over $400.. how does it feel?
nah, I got these for 169 from competionmotorsport.com, they are 2016 models. It has quick lacing, so it takes me 2 secs to put them on. The feel between pedals and you sole is very direct. It's like wearing squat shoes to squat and after that you never go back wearing sneakers. :)
Sponsored