Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/starter-ring-ejection.16774/#post-307617

Yea another small thing to loose sleep over for hyper anxiety folks like me :(

I wonder if it would be better practice to turn off auto rev match.
Turning off auto rev-matching will only increase mechanical sympathy if you consistently rev-match better than the ECU, which does a pretty fantastic job overall.

I don’t know enough about the engineering behind the CTR’s flywheel having a press-fit starter ring, but now I’m looking for aftermarket one-piece forgings that make the same failure impossible. Corporate may have made this decision, likely in the name of saving a few dollars (cents?) per unit times 10,000+ units.

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
Turning off auto rev-matching will only increase mechanical sympathy if you consistently rev-match better than the ECU, which does a pretty fantastic job overall.

I don’t know enough about the engineering behind the CTR’s flywheel having a press-fit starter ring, but now I’m looking for aftermarket one-piece forgings that make the same failure impossible. Corporate may have made this decision, likely in the name of saving a few dollars (cents?) per unit times 10,000+ units.

I was thinking more in line with accidental mis shifts to 2nd gear etc + revmatching pushing the revs to critical close to 8 region . :(

Soon aftermarket forged solutions will be here I suppose

mmcglasson

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru BRZ

I was thinking more in line with accidental mis shifts to 2nd gear etc + revmatching pushing the revs to critical close to 8 region . :(

Soon aftermarket forged solutions will be here I suppose

When they do show up, please let me know. I'm not trying to have this issue. Though, I do not think that I'm capable of doing this install myself. Any idea how much this would cost? Would Honda do this?

doCTR

First Name
doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR CW / RS400 / Golf R/ Forester XT
Country flag
I haven’t had the issue myself yet. I haven’t pushed the car crazy yet. But for sure I will keep my eye out.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
What? Honda would replace this without guaranteeing it?....

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
What? Honda would replace this without guaranteeing it?....
I think he meant that Honda is refusing to fix this under warranty (French garantie = warranty)

Honda refuse To repair with garantie
Hi Geckos,

Which part of Belgium are you from?
I leave nearby. I went to Honda Luxemb, tested the Type R. I was impressed. They had all colors on stock. They were offering a good value for trading in my current car. Despite this I told them I'll wait for the gearbox issue to get fixed by Honda. Only then I'll buy the car. Of course the dealership personnel never heard anything about this defect.
And now seeing how Honda is handling this serious flywheel defect makes me even more worried. Is this the policy of Honda benelux?

Last edited:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If my Honda dealer wouldn’t fix this... I would drive it through there showroom!! I can’t believe Honda design the flywheel this way spring time this car is going for sure.

leehom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, back at it again
Country flag
If my Honda dealer wouldn’t fix this... I would drive it through there showroom!! I can’t believe Honda design the flywheel this way spring time this car is going for sure.
But Honda's are super reliable and well engineered! Must be those BMW fanboys making up rumors!!!@

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe idk... an really don’t care!! There’s no need to bash this car it does itself... I just wanna fix something’s on it if need be an maybe I can get some enjoyment out of it

Geckos

First Name
Sebastien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
No warranty because i have bomba racing rear motor mount
Sponsored