Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
So I’m trying to figure out what is truly needed on these cars! Says transmission fluid at 30k miles? It’s a manual, I’ve never changed it that early before on any other car. I know dealers these days try to oversell everything, so what is truly needed?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
um, I believe that is for the CVT, not the manual trans.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Idk, I think 30k miles on factory fill is decent. Do you know if the factory fluid is synthetic or normal? I would think everything is synth nowadays but 30k miles on fluid, even if it's not worn out, will have picked up a decent amount of condensation and metal from the synchros. If you only drive your car normally and don't plan on tracking it or beating on it, you could extend it, but for the 30-50$ it costs to change it every other year, I think it's worth doing.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For Manual gear box if you drive often at a very low gear my owner manual write to change oil at every 25,000 miles .
Normal use, follow MM.

I never change MT gear oil on my previous MT cars , each 10 to 15 years old with more than 150,000 miles. Never had a issue.
Will I do same with my Civic ? I don't know

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I looked in the manual yesterday and found nothing sorry, can someone point me to the page where it says to replace what and when, also I thought the maintenance minder is supposed to tell us everything that needs done based on mileage? So far only my oil has ever come up on that thing yet I can reset a ton of things?

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
read your manual,

i don't get why so many people try to make things so difficult when in reality its so simple,

follow the maint schedule in your manual, use factory fluids......its simple, its easy

honda has smart people working for them, that is why the cars are so great,

those same smart people spend millions of hours determining the best fluids for their engines, and how long they should last.....trust them....don't trust a bunch of strangers on the internet.....i can't think of a place to go where you could possibly get WORSE information from!
I get where you come from, although Honda is also about selling services, so why not make intervals more frequent so more services have to be scheduled, if third party did services I would agree with this statement, just food for thought!

OP
OP
Dimitron84

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
For Manual gear box if you drive often at a very low gear my owner manual write to change oil at every 25,000 miles .
Normal use, follow MM.

I never change MT gear oil on my previous MT cars , each 10 to 15 years old with more than 150,000 miles. Never had a issue.
Will I do same with my Civic ? I don't know
Dealership ran a $30 off weekend so got MY change done yesterday, still don’t believe why it’s needed driven manuals for years and never changed it either but whatever it’s done.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I looked in the manual yesterday and found nothing sorry, can someone point me to the page where it says to replace what and when, also I thought the maintenance minder is supposed to tell us everything that needs done based on mileage? So far only my oil has ever come up on that thing yet I can reset a ton of things?
Firs look Index at page 157 , Maintenance,
Maintenance Minder page 129, service code and mileage page 130

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Dealership ran a $30 off weekend so got MY change done yesterday, still don’t believe why it’s needed driven manuals for years and never changed it either but whatever it’s done.
Did you notice and improvement in shifting?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
read your manual,

i don't get why so many people try to make things so difficult when in reality its so simple,

follow the maint schedule in your manual, use factory fluids......its simple, its easy

honda has smart people working for them, that is why the cars are so great,

those same smart people spend millions of hours determining the best fluids for their engines, and how long they should last.....trust them....don't trust a bunch of strangers on the internet.....i can't think of a place to go where you could possibly get WORSE information from!
It's true for most people who want it simple and easy. Nothing is easier than to bring your car in when the wrench pops up and sign the bill. If you do that and you drive reasonably, it's almost sure your car will last for 10 years and 120,000 miles, as it's designed to do with minimal additional expenses besides tires (maybe a windshield, or A/C fix if you're unlucky).

But also it's not as simple as boy scouting. Honda has smart business people too, and they get to overrule the smart engineering people. The MM is not designed only to make engines happy. It is in reality a pact and a compromise between Honda Corp. and their dealers. Honda doesn't make any significant money on maintenance. Dealers do. The interests of Honda and their dealers are to some extent opposite. It is in Honda's interest to advertise low maintenance cost for advertising and low waste amounts to regulators. If not for the MM dealers would still recommend 3000 miles OCI and keep pushing fluid or air filter replacements at any time. With MM they lose some but win more by actually having people come more often. So they may loose on oil changes but win on brake fluid and transmission fluid changes, etc. Honda also helps by making some DYI servicing more difficult. Altogether the MM is a win win and a compromise between Honda and their dealers.

Remember that your advice also comes from a stranger on the internet....:hmm:

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
I wonder if the the MM recommendation for fluid change is the same for manual transmissions and CVTs?

My LX sedan has a CVT but a manual is also available.

I'm at 48K miles and the trans fluid replacement hasn't been recommended by the MM.

One might expect that the software would have different recommendations for manuals and CVTs.
Sponsored