Flickering backup camera with aftermarket radio

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX in my 2016 LX, and recently I’ve noticed the camera flickering occasionally (seems like it might be losing power?), it gets worse when the AC is on. Has anyone else seen this before or know how to fix it?

Video of this happening:
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX in my 2016 LX, and recently I’ve noticed the camera flickering occasionally (seems like it might be losing power?), it gets worse when the AC is on. Has anyone else seen this before or know how to fix it?

Video of this happening:
When you have the backup camera on, you are probably in Reverse, and the engine is not reving that high.
So could be a low voltage condition, or if the Pioneer is looking at the Brake light power, that could be sub 12v in these conditions .. may even be a poor connection.

You might need to use a Multimeter to measure some voltages, to determine if you have a low voltage condition somewhere, either feeding the camera, or coming from the brake lights.

I had a similar issue about a year ago, turned out to be a bad (Corroded) connection, with the wire that was picking up the brake signal.

OP
OP

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I measured the voltage and it seems to fluctuate some, but it seems like my problem might be more likely to be a bad connection somewhere. I saw some other posts saying that 12V to the camera works, so gave that a try and the camera still does the same thing with AC on. I have a slightly different camera angle now though. Any suggestions on how to track down where the issue might be coming from? Seems like it might be an issue with either the XSVI-1731-NAV or the connection to the reverse wire coming from it. Some reviews on crutchfield mention the flickering issue too.

I couldn't find one anywhere so here's a comparison of the angles at 6V and 12V
6V:
Honda Civic 10th gen Flickering backup camera with aftermarket radio 6V

12V:
Honda Civic 10th gen Flickering backup camera with aftermarket radio 12V

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I measured the voltage and it seems to fluctuate some, but it seems like my problem might be more likely to be a bad connection somewhere. I saw some other posts saying that 12V to the camera works, so gave that a try and the camera still does the same thing with AC on. I have a slightly different camera angle now though. Any suggestions on how to track down where the issue might be coming from? Seems like it might be an issue with either the XSVI-1731-NAV or the connection to the reverse wire coming from it. Some reviews on crutchfield mention the flickering issue too.

I couldn't find one anywhere so here's a comparison of the angles at 6V and 12V
6V:
6V.jpg

12V:
12V.jpg
12V will still work to a 6V camera, but it causes inconsistencies which is why a 6V step down is used. There's YouTube videos on it. Check out the pins in the harness, if they're fine it maybe just a shitty connect consider metra makes axxess and 60% of the time metra is shit. I'd consider hard-working that wire and seeing if that fixes the problem.

OP
OP

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
12V will still work to a 6V camera, but it causes inconsistencies which is why a 6V step down is used. There's YouTube videos on it. Check out the pins in the harness, if they're fine it maybe just a shitty connect consider metra makes axxess and 60% of the time metra is shit. I'd consider hard-working that wire and seeing if that fixes the problem.
Yeah, it was mainly for testing, I plan to put the step down back now that I see it doesn't make any difference for my problem.

The pins on the harness seem ok as far as I can tell, with other people mentioning the same problem in reviews its making me think it might be a problem with the metra. I'm trying to avoid messing with the stock wires if I can though. Has anyone tried this https://www.scosche.com/lha20? Seems to be missing the harness for the camera but I guess I could use that part of the metra since the camera is on a different connector and connect it to the wiring from the scosche. Not sure how much of a difference a different one would make though

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
If camera is 6v, why not just use 6v for the camera, and not risk overloading/overheating/blowing up the camera with the incorrect voltage.

Also, if you feed the Camera with the car's 12v, its not always 12v, it can go up as high at 14-15 volts, and a lot lower than 12v when starting the car.

If you are going to MOD the Radio with an aftermarket system, do it right... use 6v for the Honda camera.

Easy to splice a simple 6v Voltage Regulator I/C onto the harness to the camera.
7806 IC about $2 !!

Search Ebay for 7806

OP
OP

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I’m not keeping it at 12V. That was just a test to see if it made any difference thinking 6V might be too low since I found other posts saying the Honda radio runs it at 8V, and 12V worked for them. Seems like 6V is ok though

Peaceman050

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
I'm currently having the same issue and even did all of the exact same testing as kyle_d. I have a Sony XAV-AX210SXM and the Axxess XSVI-1731-NAV wiring harness to connect it all.

I'm glad I'm not the only person experiencing this problem. I'm no expert but I'm hoping to be able to do some testing sometime next week to see if I can sort out this issue and if I find a solution I'll post it here.

I might just end up just splicing into something to have the camera powered on with the key. I believe normally it only powers on while in use.

OP
OP

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Forgot to update this after more testing. I got a Scosche LHA20, and combined it with the camera harness part of a metra 70-1731. Since then I haven’t had an issue with the camera. So it sounds like it’s an issue with the Axxess XSVI-1731-NAV if you’re seeing the same thing.

The LHA20 also didn’t require manually configuring the steering wheel controls, and also reports to the radio when the headlights are on in auto mode, which didn’t work on the Axxess adapter for me.

Peaceman050

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll give it a shot! I guess these Axxess adapters are just junk. Thanks again!

turbotiger123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
What all did you have to do to get the LHA20 working? I currently have the Axxess NAVI and ASWC with a Kenwood head unit (used Crutchfield's Ready Harness service to do all the wire splicing stuff) and I have the same stupid camera flickering issue. It's a bit of a safety concern IMO.

OP
OP

kyle_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I had to do all the wire splicing stuff with the LHA20, the camera part of a Metra 70-1731, the AX-CAM6V, and Metra 40-HD11 antenna adapter (I ended up with 2 sets of everything when trying to fix this). I also bought a replacement harness for my pioneer to do it all on just in case I did something wrong and had to go back to the axxess. Let me know if you have any questions about getting it working, I haven't seen the camera flicker once in the 3 months since I installed it.

turbotiger123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks! I'm going to have to go down this route, I think. The flickering backup camera is annoying and a safety concern. I also had to manually program the ASWC. I'm also having the same issue with the Auto headlights not reporting to the radio that they've turned on/off. Did they include decent instructions with the LHA20?

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
any updates on this issue? i’ve run into the same problem using an axxess harness. the rear camera issue is the only thing pushing me to go a different route for an aftermarket head unit

Civicturboed

First Name
Yussuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 2019
Country flag
Hey naldy, did u have any luck figuring it out? I installed an ATOTO unit and its perfect becides that backup camera issue. Its honestly a dealbreaker for me.
Sponsored