Flex Fuel Owners

1. Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR, 2006 S2000, 2011 CR-V EX
    My only two power mods are FP and FF and I'm quite happy. I'm just running the Hondata FF basemap though, and the difference from the base 93 tune was very noticable running E35. Last weekend I had to fill up with full 93 and noticed a decrease in power. I have yet to have any custom tuning done, so I don't know how the FF basemap would compare to a custom 93 tune, but from the tunes I've run I feel that the FF setup was worth it. I actually noticed more difference going from 93 tune to FF tune than I did from stock to 93 tune.

2. Dragnet

Dragnet Senior Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
    I'm in the same boat. I've just been holding off. I don't want to void my warranty. I think I'd do an intercooler and tune and maybe nothing more. If I found some kind of exhaust setup that sounded good to me I might go that route too but I've yet to hear anything I like.

3. sosoye

sosoye Senior Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
    What do you think about the benefit of being able to run lower boost to achieve the same horsepower?
    Since a lot of people are able to reach almost 400 whp on just 93 with a custom tune, wouldn't using flex fuel increase longevity for the engine aiming for 400 whp with 93+flexfuel; given you keep your fuel pump duty cycle in check.

4. boosted180sx

boosted180sx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 CTR, 2019 370Z Nismo, '16 ILX
    It's a good thing but i'm not sure if that benefit outweighs the hassle currently. For me, at least. Spending more time at the gas station and having to blend just wasn't cutting it for me. Nothing against running flex fuel though. As long as you lower boost enough, it can work.

I don't think engine longevity is going to be much different. Lower boost would theoretically increase engine life but how often are we really using that 380 whp or so? If it's not constantly beaten on, i don't think the life will be that different. Not to mention your still pushing 20+ lbs with flex fuel.
    After experiencing it myself on this car and reviewing datalogs and doing many adjustments on the map, i came to the conclusion that it's not for me until better fuel system is in place.

sosoye thanked this.