r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I know the CVT has an upper limit for acceptable torque before things get dicey, and a Flex Fuel compatibility upgrade would potentially yield a good measure more HP and torque.

My question is: Would a Flex Fuel kit be ill-advised or safe to do on a CVT hatch Sport? I'm currently running KTuner V2 with no other mods at the moment.

Also, I've seen a lot of people say that our civics are already built to handle E85 safely because our fuel systems are the same as the Brazilian market Civics. Has anyone confirmed or denied this? Just trying to figure out how involved I would have to get if at some point I wanted the Flex Fuel capabilities.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So I know the CVT has an upper limit for acceptable torque before things get dicey, and a Flex Fuel compatibility upgrade would potentially yield a good measure more HP and torque.

My question is: Would a Flex Fuel kit be ill-advised or safe to do on a CVT hatch Sport? I'm currently running KTuner V2 with no other mods at the moment.

Also, I've seen a lot of people say that our civics are already built to handle E85 safely because our fuel systems are the same as the Brazilian market Civics. Has anyone confirmed or denied this? Just trying to figure out how involved I would have to get if at some point I wanted the Flex Fuel capabilities.
If you go through reputable tuner and set up boost by gear to limit the power down low. You'll be good. There's even someone running the PRL turbo on there CVT.
Our fuel systems are designed to be ethanol friendly, that's true. But you won't be able to safely run full E85, it would be more like e30-40. Which is what I run in mine.

@Two Step Performance should be able to help you out. Pick up a flex kit and stage 2 tune from them, you'll be in great hands ;)

Turboroe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 1.5L 2018
Country flag

The brazilian 1.5T is not flex fuel, though our regular gas here is E27. I think they underpowered the stock ECU flash a bit to compensate for the ethanol content without causing problems to the engine.
But when I re-flash a hondata base tune and use regular gas, the knock control goes crazy high and AFM deviates too.
Also, Hondata guys told me that the low pressure fuel pump brushes will worn out quickly with more than 50% ethanol.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
you would have to get a custom tune for flex fuel for CVT unless you wanted to switch to Hondata there is a place with stage 2 (flex fuel) base map.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
you would have to get a custom tune for flex fuel for CVT unless you wanted to switch to Hondata there is a place with stage 2 (flex fuel) base map.
Actually if your ECU codebase supports flex fuel all of the KTuner included tunes also have a flex fuel tunes built into them. Simply enable the feature once you have the kit installed.

There are plenty of CVTs running great with flex fuel.

Custom tuning will always yield more power and results tailored to your needs.

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
Actually if your ECU codebase supports flex fuel all of the KTuner included tunes also have a flex fuel tunes built into them. Simply enable the feature once you have the kit installed.

There are plenty of CVTs running great with flex fuel.

Custom tuning will always yield more power and results tailored to your needs.
Is the ktuner flex fuel base map tune better for CVT vs the tsp stage 1?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Is the ktuner flex fuel base map tune better for CVT vs the tsp stage 1?
Our basemaps have to be conservative to fit the large range of vehicle setups. TSP stage 1 is less conservative and I imagine they outline certain parts it will work with on their website.
Sponsored