Flashed back to stock (temporarily)

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So, I flashed back to stock as I was always a little iffy on how safe this tune was for the engine/clutch.

I'm one of those people who get paranoid about it, moreso cause it's my only car but anyways, I did the flash and started noticing random smells of say wood burning or asphault quite often, but couldn't remember if I smelled that often or not when on the factory tune.

Anyways, flashed back to the factory tune and did a quick drive around and noticed that KCont is .89-.91 (I have read to go for a decent drive so I'm sure it'll come down) and I'm using 91.

The knock count is also at 14, I just had a muffler and resonator delete done so I'm sure that doesn't help the situation. But is there a way to reset it?

I'm going to run a full datalog on my drive to and from work today, can I post it here for anyone to see if things are operating normally?

I assume all these random smells are just me being paranoid and that it's not actually the car, and will surely come across these same smells today.

Was anyone else paranoid at all after the flash?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The base tunes are pretty safe. I'm on the other tuner but I know what you mean about having only one car. I'm actually in the same situation but I think the risk/reward with these tuners is worth it as long as you don't push the torque and psi too high or drive it like a maniac all the time. Driven normally, with spirited driving from time to time, things should be fine. If you're really paranoid you could always tune it with one of the less boosted Ktuner base tunes.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
So, I flashed back to stock as I was always a little iffy on how safe this tune was for the engine/clutch.

I'm one of those people who get paranoid about it, moreso cause it's my only car but anyways, I did the flash and started noticing random smells of say wood burning or asphault quite often, but couldn't remember if I smelled that often or not when on the factory tune.

Anyways, flashed back to the factory tune and did a quick drive around and noticed that KCont is .89-.91 (I have read to go for a decent drive so I'm sure it'll come down) and I'm using 91.

The knock count is also at 14, I just had a muffler and resonator delete done so I'm sure that doesn't help the situation. But is there a way to reset it?

I'm going to run a full datalog on my drive to and from work today, can I post it here for anyone to see if things are operating normally?

I assume all these random smells are just me being paranoid and that it's not actually the car, and will surely come across these same smells today.

stock ecu starts the knock control at 100. you will need to drive around 15 or so min for the ecu to learn

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
stock ecu starts the knock control at 100. you will need to drive around 15 or so min for the ecu to learn
.9 (90%) for factory!

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Watched the V2 on my drive home, knock cont got down to .49, knock count was like 8 or 9. This is just factory tune though, so clearly all is normal and i could still smell that burning smell once in awhile which leads me to believe it's not the car.

Although one thing I am wondering, I have read in other posts that this cars knock counter is very sensitive, and since I have the resonator and muffler delete, and seeing the knock counter on the one drive home go up to around 8-12 (can't remember what the number was) is that even something to worry about? The drive was about 30-40 minutes and was 37KM total.

Last edited:

10civics

First Name
bo peep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

I've been a little "iffy" since day one because I'm not sure how it can be known what's safe because I know of no long term testing. I first went with the 23psi map and was impressed to say the least, that is until I then went to the E35 flex fuel with the ign table mods. This was an amazing difference from stock. So much I've reverted back to just the 23psi and have been considering dropping down to 19.5. I realize any motor can take mods but increasing torque output on a stock motor by nearly 50% has definitely made me question the ethanol mod. I wish I wasn't doubtful because I'd really like to switch back but I'm gonna wait 6 months or so to see if any motors start splitting down the side or breaking pistons lands, stretching rods, breaking bolts , etc. I've seen the result of too much boost first hand and it's not a pretty sight. If all’s still good next spring I’ll prob go back to the E35 and ign table mods

Honda Civic 10th gen Flashed back to stock (temporarily) 10430

Honda Civic 10th gen Flashed back to stock (temporarily) avatar_s

Honda Civic 10th gen Flashed back to stock (temporarily) 2454

Honda Civic 10th gen Flashed back to stock (temporarily) avatar_s

Honda Civic 10th gen Flashed back to stock (temporarily) 22374

Last edited:
OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been a little "iffy" since day one because I'm not sure how it can be known what's safe because I know of no long term testing. I first went with the 23psi map and was impressed to say the least, that is until I then went to the E35 flex fuel with the ign table mods. This was an amazing difference from stock. So much I've reverted back to just the 23psi and have been considering dropping down to 19.5. I realize any motor can take mods but increasing torque output on a stock motor by nearly 50% has definitely made me question the ethanol mod. I wish I wasn't doubtful because I'd really like to switch back but I'm gonna wait 6 months or so to see how many motors start splitting down the side or breaking pistons lands, stretching rods, breaking bolts , etc. I've seen the result of too much boost first hand and it's not a pretty sight.

10430.jpg

2454.jpg

22374.jpg
I personally am not going to do anymore to the car, but a LOT of people have been running the 21PSI tune for quite awhile now without problems.

I will be flashing the 18psi soon just to stay on the safe side and see how that feels afterwards.

brandonckc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 1.5 Turbo CVT
Country flag
Watched the V2 on my drive home, knock cont got down to .49, knock count was like 8 or 9. This is just factory tune though, so clearly all is normal and i could still smell that burning smell once in awhile which leads me to believe it's not the car.

Although one thing I am wondering, I have read in other posts that this cars knock counter is very sensitive, and since I have the resonator and muffler delete, and seeing the knock counter on the one drive home go up to around 8-12 (can't remember what the number was) is that even something to worry about? The drive was about 30-40 minutes and was 37KM total.
Any update on the knock count? I have same knock count problem as you but mine was hondata custom tuned with max boost of 21psi.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Knock count doesn't really mean much on this platform. There tends to be a ton of "false positives". If you are seeing even 15-20 "knocks" on a commute, I wouldn't worry. 300-400, well maybe you have a problem.;)

Keep your eye on K. Control instead. On Hondata, .54 is about the best you'll maintain.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Just to ease your mind some mines been on Hondata daily driven no less than 21psi up to 26psi at one point for 1.5 years and going on 26k miles. Probably flashed 150 times or more doing my own adjustments and customizing as well as testing the various provided maps....experimenting....trial and error etc.

Not a single issue to even mention.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I was super paranoid about increasing boost as well because of clutch reasons and I stayed at the 18psi map for the longest time. Then I realized the clutch probably wouldn't slip at 21psi unless I was WOT while passing 3k and now I'm at 21psi. Pretty sure it would slip on the TSP tune though.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
Ktuner21 doesn't slip. Tap stg1 doesn't slip. My custom 23psi tune doesnt slip. The only time I got my clutch to slip was on 24psi map at 4k rpm with aggressive ramp and improved spool where it targeted 24 but overshot to 26-27 for a moment and it slipped for like half a second...
Sponsored