FK8 on E85?

1. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    @OneSickFK8 If youre getting retard/knock due to not having 93oct or still getting timing pulls then you could add 1-2gal of e85 then fill the rest w 91/93 and see if it helps reduce knock.

But thats not picking up power, rather allowing you to use all of it if experiencing retard/knock (due to octane).

2. OneSickFK8

OneSickFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Jae
    Car(s):
    PMM FK8
    I use Shell 93. The car seems to only pull boost when it's hot outside. I was just wondering. So basically use it like a octane booster of sorts. Just 1-2 gallons to a full tank. Got it.

3. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    Yes, start w 1 first then 2 if needed. It can help only to a certain point by slightly raising octane like you said.

It wont help w charge temps of 130f+, this is just for when you’re at that threshold and slightly over it.

4. Justotarula

Justotarula New Member

First Name:
    Justo
    Car(s):
    Honda Civic Type R
    This article states the test vehicles had stock blocks. Does anyone know about headwork i.e. cams, valvetrain etc?

5. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    Not necessary and all stock. They did however have a tune for e85. You cant just run e85 on your oem tune.

6. Justotarula

Justotarula New Member

First Name:
    Justo
    Car(s):
    Honda Civic Type R
    Yes, the fuel kit and e85 tune is what the article is aboutso clearly it had that. I ask because the stock numbers are 333 lbs-ft and 317 HP and the dyno sheet only states the flex fuel kit, intercooler and high flow cat.

I guess I’m wondering if the intercooler and high flow cat put it up to those numbers or was there something else not mentioned. Only stating stock block and not complete stock motor with those upgrades leaves some room to wonder

7. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    #22 FlexRex, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Umm.. ethanol is what gave it power friend. Thats all.

My wrx picked up 100awhp going from 91oct tune to e50 tune.

8. Night Fury

Night Fury Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black Type R
    Mentioned before, Might be cheaper options than fuel upgrade system. Such as a bigger turbo. Still, with a better fueling you still can produce”based on Dyno numbers” more TQ on a stock turbo than a bigger turbo with no fueling upgrade. Between the two: I would fueling first. With R&D needed for an upgraded fuel kit, it is a no brainer just buy the kit, unless another tuner shows up with something cheaper.

For comparison: VW Golf R’s fuel kit is just $200 cheaper than ours(Flex kit not included), so it’s not that bad & you can forget about E30 or 40, just straight E85. You always gotta pay to play.