FK8 on E85?

1. Stryker254

Stryker254 New Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Car(s):
    FK8
    So I have been searching and have not come up with a definitive answer, can the FK8 run straight E85 without mixing down to E40 with the new Hondata Fuel Upgrade system and the Flex Fuel kit?

2. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    No it can’t on oem fueling system. You will have to blend with or without a flex kit. Flex kit only helps your ecu mapping adjust to eca content in real time.

Edit: sorry didn’t read thoroughly enough, I would ask hondata.

Stryker254 thanked this.
  3. CincyTypeR

CincyTypeR Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
  4. itsmarcowhat

itsmarcowhat Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic Type R
    I wonder if any of the early adopters can chime in as to any long term affects or information of note on running this kit?

5. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    I just read the specs/sales pitch and if it delivers on its claims and if you can afford it it seems like a solution for running straight high ethanol blends.

Did you test your e85 pump blend?

6. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    For dam near 3k to run 70-80 percent ethanol for minimal gains on the stock turbo is a waste of money. You could run another 3-4psi but then your maxing the turbo out and getting close to over spinning the turbo then. If you were a built motor and different turbo I would 100% go with the hondata fuel kit.

7. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    @redline i think it has more to do w being ethanol compatible/ready rather than with gains.

Also, from my research mixing e85 and 91/93oct is not the best practice because of detergents and additives in one aren’t necessarily made with the intent of being mixed/compatible w higher ethanol content fuels. Not to mention convenience/cost of running straight e85 along, finally, with minimal gains from running extra straight e85.

8. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    People have been mixing 91/93 with e85 ever sense the first turbo di motor came out so there is no danger in mixing it. A flex kit is hella easy as well so not sure how more convenient you would want and you still need to keep any eye on your ethanol because some stations test well below 70 percent and you have no way of knowing unless you test it or run a flex kit. 3k is crazy for what little your getting unless your going full race car build you could spend that 3k else where and get better returns. I love hondata and I want to make more power but I'm going to wait and see what other vendors bring to the table for fueling.

9. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior Member

Car(s):
    ‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
    If your fuel system is maxed out what gets you better returns? Your statement makes 0 sense to me.

Linwozzle thanked this.
  10. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    Yes you can.

If your turbo and bottom end are all ready maxed out what does this 3k fuel system get you? All I'm saying is there is no point in running straight e85 on the stock setup when its all ready maxed. I mean if you want to spend another 3g so you can tell all your friends your running e85 and not making anymore power then a 30-40% blend then go for it lol.

11. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior Member

Car(s):
    ‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
    What brings you to the conclusion the bottom end is maxed out before the fuel system? Other than the people on here regurgitating BS?

12. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    Because people have actually bent rods at that power level. One of them being vit who was one of the best tuners tuning these cars and now works for motec and one of those hurt cars was his own. Other people have bent rods too but go for it if you like to party.

13. FlexRex

FlexRex Senior Member

Car(s):
    WRX and M5
    #13 FlexRex, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    @redline Hondata clearly tested on stock engine turbo and bigger turbo setups, per that link.

Unbeknownst to you and alot of other enthusiasts there is no pros to mixing e85 and unleaded gasoline. Ppl have been doing the blending out of pump limitations w high ethanol contents, not because it is a benefit to blend w unleaded.

Their link uses hp. I am driving a 360awhp/360awtq (daily/conservative custom map) wrx which at crank should push ~450hp From a 2L engine. No bent rods 18k miles, if i can do it so can a ctr. From what Hondata posted it looks like next limit is the oem turbo after upgrading to full e85, hence 500hp w bigger one.

Is Vit a russian tuner who took 30revisions per tune? Or am i confusing him w someone else?

14. OneSickFK8

OneSickFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Jae
    Car(s):
    PMM FK8
    So is it true you can take a stock FK8 and fill up the second half of the tank with E85 and it will pick up a little power safely?

15. redline

redline Senior Member

Car(s):
    Civic
    On the stock tune, no. Also if you did half a tank of ethanol you will have a bad day and run out of fuel as that will be way over 30-40% blend.

OneSickFK8 thanked this.