tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
You guys can thank me later.. i would save up for these instead of doing eibach springs.. atleast it has caster plates

2v1suc0.jpg

https://groundcontrolstore.com/coll...ration-honda-civic-type-r-coilover-conversion
How would this coilover conversion kit effect the factory settings on the adjustable dampers? According to this article, the dampers take in a series of inputs from G sensors, suspension stroke and steering angle. It sounds like all of this input data could be effected by a kit like this. Is the electronic damper system going to be thrown off by a new suspension setup? Or is it possible to re-calibrate it?
Sponsored

tylermmorton

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R #1362
Country flag
its no different than running a eibachs and h&r.. i am just able to go lower.. up to 2 inch drop but ofcourse i am not going to go that low.. there is a guy running around 1.75 inch drop and he is tracking his car so im confident i am not going to have any issues.
Awesome, thanks for the input. How does the ride quality feel with the linear spring rate? The Eibach Pro Kit is a progressive spring rate, whereas these springs on the Ground Control kit are linear. I just want to know how this is going to feel on the street.

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CR-Z & 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
Still waiting on spring rates from Swift, but got a March/April ETA for the first batch of springs, and the 1 inch drop that we all knew about. Also a picture of the actual product installed:

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Master Spring Thread! 20171202_

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried searching a few pages but didn't see any mention of camber kits... any good ones to go with when pairing with springs? a friend at work has Eibach and no kit... he says his car is on the money for alignment but I noticed his tyres were slightly more worn on the inside than I would like...

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tried searching a few pages but didn't see any mention of camber kits... any good ones to go with when pairing with springs? a friend at work has Eibach and no kit... he says his car is on the money for alignment but I noticed his tyres were slightly more worn on the inside than I would like...
nothing is out just yet. The rear arm is the same as the regular civic except that it has a sensor mount. So if you really wanted to you could use the Eibach/SPC and figure out a mount for the sensor... if not you can wait as I know all the big companies are working on it

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
alignment isn't really that different from stock with just eibach springs tbh ....
It's only like maybe 1/2 degree more negative camber in the rear compared to stock...

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
alignment isn't really that different from stock with just eibach springs tbh ....
It's only like maybe 1/2 degree more negative camber in the rear compared to stock...
yes, and that's enough to add wear to the tyres more than I want... I've seen his tyres and it's a noticeable wear vs mine with similar miles and stock setup...

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nothing is out just yet. The rear arm is the same as the regular civic except that it has a sensor mount. So if you really wanted to you could use the Eibach/SPC and figure out a mount for the sensor... if not you can wait as I know all the big companies are working on it
so nothing for the front yet? I'm sure adding a spot for the sensor wouldn't be too difficult... I'll have to look at those...

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yes, and that's enough to add wear to the tyres more than I want... I've seen his tyres and it's a noticeable wear vs mine with similar miles and stock setup...
Are you sure his toe is set correctly ... .5 shouldn’t make that much difference.

And yes nothing for the fronts yet

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so nothing for the front yet? I'm sure adding a spot for the sensor wouldn't be too difficult... I'll have to look at those...
a few companies have prototypes, the only one is the ground control kit but then you'd have to swap to their setup

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
a few companies have prototypes, the only one is the ground control kit but then you'd have to swap to their setup
okay... thanks for the info! I'll just hold off until I can buy parts that give me more control over everything!

Are you sure his toe is set correctly ... .5 shouldn’t make that much difference.

And yes nothing for the fronts yet
he's the shop foreman here at Honda... I'm pretty sure it's fine lol...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Back in my "stance life" days, I ran -5.5 camber in the rear with brand new tires for a year (stupid, i know). I made sure to get an alignment to correct toe. My tires had 0 abnormal wear after a year.

Toe = short term significant wear
Camber = long term insignificant wear

An additional -.5 degrees of camber is most likely not the reason for his tire wear. It has to be toe. The Type R might also come with aggressive toe settings in the rear from factory. A combination of that plus the summer tires might be the reason why Honda put the tire wear notice on the window sticker. Another factor could be an uncalibrated alignment machine. The machine can say that the toe settings are good (green), but if the calibration is off, the actual toe settings on the car might be screwed. Honda dealers typically don't care about alignment machine calibrations, they are all about making money. I had my car aligned at honda once, the machine said it was calibrated and my steering wheel was crooked. When I brought it to a high end alignment shop, they told me all the settings were way off.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Back in my "stance life" days, I ran -5.5 camber in the rear with brand new tires for a year (stupid, i know). I made sure to get an alignment to correct toe. My tires had 0 abnormal wear after a year.

Toe = short term significant wear
Camber = long term insignificant wear

An additional -.5 degrees of camber is most likely not the reason for his tire wear. It has to be toe. The Type R might also come with aggressive toe settings in the rear from factory. A combination of that plus the summer tires might be the reason why Honda put the tire wear notice on the window sticker. Another factor could be an uncalibrated alignment machine. The machine can say that the toe settings are good (green), but if the calibration is off, the actual toe settings on the car might be screwed. Honda dealers typically don't care about alignment machine calibrations, they are all about making money. I had my car aligned at honda once, the machine said it was calibrated and my steering wheel was crooked. When I brought it to a high end alignment shop, they told me all the settings were way off.
We don't operate like that here... Our technicians are well trained and our equipment is always inspected and checked for accuracy...

My best guess is, it's the compound of the tyre... I'm not willing to chew through my tyres even the slightest bit faster than normal...

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
Anyone ever tried these coilovers on their previous ride(s)? And did you like them?

https://www.dsgperformance.com/fortune-auto-500-series-coilover-for-the-honda-civic-type-r-fk8
I have never driven on Fortune coilovers, but remember years ago reading they were markedly better than the Chinese knock-offs, at a lower price point than the JDM brands and full race-spec stuff (Ohlins, Moton, Penske, etc). I would feel confident running them on my street-duty CTR.
Sponsored