FK8 Master Spring Thread!

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Funny also. I dont actively discredit eibach. I've owned them in the past. I'm just saying I dont care for aftermarket springs on this car. That includes all springs. I'll end up with coilovers or just go back to factory springs.
For some vindication for you, I just rode in one with Eibachs. Being able to compare it back to back with my CTR that is currently completely stock was illuminating. Both cars OEM rubber and heavy stock wheels. Both cars in sport mode (default).

The Eibach car is super bumpy over bad roads and expansion joints. The small potholes you can’t evade, it was jarring. You can’t tell a difference when the road is smooth as glass, but it’s a deal breaker on bumps.

I went over one spot where there was about a 1/2 inch break in the pavement for road repair, and it hit so hard in the car with Eibachs that I thought I bent a wheel (did not of course).

No way would I run those.

I’m interested to drive a car with Ohlins coilovers when they’re out, but will keep my suspension stock for the time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For some vindication for you, I just rode in one with Eibachs. Being able to compare it back to back with my CTR that is currently completely stock was illuminating. Both cars OEM rubber and heavy stock wheels. Both cars in sport mode (default).

The Eibach car is super bumpy over bad roads and expansion joints. The small potholes you can’t evade, it was jarring. You can’t tell a difference when the road is smooth as glass, but it’s a deal breaker on bumps.

I went over one spot where there was about a 1/2 inch break in the pavement for road repair, and it hit so hard in the car with Eibachs that I thought I bent a wheel (did not of course).

I’m interested to drive a car with Ohlins coilovers when they’re out, but will keep my suspension stock for the time.
LMAO most of you have never been in stiff suspension cars ;-) It’s funny but fact is all these springs are still soft. Should take a ride in a super car one day and see some serious suspension.

If you can’t handle Eibach or stiffer springs like Swift on a CTR, surely you should keep car stock and be happy.

Ohlins are out and based on your butt analysis above, don’t do it since spring rates will shock you...no pun intended.

It’s hilarious but you guys are bunch of wussies really...LOL!

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I would be curious on how the ohlins ride myself. I have them on my s2k and the ride can change drastically depending on how stiff or soft you set them. But I am sure even on there softest settings they will still be stiffer than the oem setup of our cars.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol. Maybe it's just the area I'm in, but man, the roads are very jarring indeed.

There's this slight bump when I leave work that I have to slow down to like 5mph to go over so I don't feel like my wheels are going to come up out of the fenders

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag

Maybe it felt like that cause it bounced off the bump stop. I didn't notice much difference between the eibachs and stock stiffness wise. Just felt a little underdampened in comfort mode but thats about it.

If you think that was jarring, you'd kill yourself if you rode in one with swifts.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe it felt like that cause it bounced off the bump stop. I didn't notice much difference between the eibachs and stock stiffness wise. Just felt a little underdampened in comfort mode but thats about it.

If you think that was jarring, you'd kill yourself if you rode in one with swifts.
It was only jarring really in that one surprise place where the pavement was broken. I think crashy is a better way to describe it.

In short, I just felt like all the R&D that went into the suspension was wasted in the spring change, and it made that car feel cheap.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It was only jarring really in that one surprise place where the pavement was broken. I think crashy is a better way to describe it.

In short, I just felt like all the R&D that went into the suspension was wasted in the spring change, and it made that car feel cheap.
If it was only in that one place then what you felt was him hitting the bump stops. A crashy feeling is usually what people feels when it hits the bump stops harshly.

Stock suspension has more shock travel so you don't ride the bump stops as often as you would if it was lowered. Did your friend cut part of the bump stops? With lowering springs, you usually would have to cut part of the bump stop to regain some of the shock travel lost from the lowered spring.

Eibachs rates are only like 10-15%? or so stiffer than stock so it shouldn't be a huge difference in ride quality. My family members didn't even notice a difference in ride with the eibachs and roads down here in LA are pretty bad.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

watch out...you got a few eibach followers here :D but yeah, makes the car feel cheaper imo on these eibachs...can't imagine it on swift

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LMAO most of you have never been in stiff suspension cars ;-) It’s funny but fact is all these springs are still soft. Should take a ride in a super car one day and see some serious suspension.

If you can’t handle Eibach or stiffer springs like Swift on a CTR, surely you should keep car stock and be happy.

Ohlins are out and based on your butt analysis above, don’t do it since spring rates will shock you...no pun intended.

It’s hilarious but you guys are bunch of wussies really...LOL!
Or maybe you’re assuming we’re wussies without knowing all the facts?

I had 10k/10k Ohlins on my Evo X, and it had nowhere near the crashiness of this guy’s otherwise stock CTR on Eibachs over expansion joints.

I’m not exaggerating in the least when I said I had to look at the front wheels when I got out to see if one of them was bent from a nasty bump where they did a pavement top cut at an expansion joint. It was a crazy slam that felt nowhere nearly as harsh in my stock suspension CTR or my Evo with much more aggressive suspension.

When I asked him about it, he said it does it all the time over expansion joints and jarring bumps like that.

What I didn’t ask was if he failed to trim the bump stops. With that kind of slam, that has to be it. Impact was less than 30mph. How he can drive around like that is beyond me.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or maybe you’re assuming we’re wussies without knowing all the facts?

I had 10k/10k Ohlins on my Evo X, and it had nowhere near the crashiness of this guy’s otherwise stock CTR on Eibachs over expansion joints.

I’m not exaggerating in the least when I said I had to look at the front wheels when I got out to see if one of them was bent from a nasty bump where they did a pavement top cut at an expansion joint. It was a crazy slam that felt nowhere nearly as harsh in my stock suspension CTR or my Evo with much more aggressive suspension.

When I asked him about it, he said it does it all the time over expansion joints and jarring bumps like that.

What I didn’t ask was if he failed to trim the bump stops. With that kind of slam, that has to be it. Impact was less than 30mph. How he can drive around like that is beyond me.
that's how mine felt...and I trimmed the bump stops like it said from eibach

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
folks don't look at the impact to understeer or oversteer with increased spring rates front/rear as closely as they should actually. anything over 25% increase either end will dramatically change the handling dynamics especially with low speed turns ala mainly street driving. most look at drop and "closing wheel gap" more so then ride comfort next.

too stiff then it becomes no longer fun daily - which is what 90% of owners do anyway. most think they'll be track stars but rarely if ever see a track much less autocrossing. as long as both ends are incremental in stiffness increase, then you're fine and not upset the suspension too much in low speed cornering. go crazy and increase rear stiffness too much relative to the front springs' increase and get more oversteer than necessary on the streets. go too stiff on the front then you're facing increased understeer which is a pain to live with daily.

it's all a give and take and balancing what you want...look/style, ride, and understeer/oversteer. springs are a great way to tune the mechanical balance of the car but not easiest to change once done since it's another uninstall and reinstall. whereas rear sway bar is easier to adjust and takes no more than 10-15 mins to move (ie, on my karcepts 9 way adjustable rear bar) and is quickest way to change low speed handling.
OK guys, hoping to get your help. I'm still having trouble deciding between

(A) Swift;
(B) Eibach Pro-Kit / Spoon Sports; or
(C) New Eibach Sportline (stiffer + slightly more drop than Eibach Pro Kit but less than Swifts).

My car is a daily , and this coming season I will be tracking it occasionally (complete newbie though). I am ok with stiffer suspension. I do not want to get a stiffer motor mount.

My goal is to run some good (i.e. sub-5 second) 0-60 and 5-60 times without having to do hard launches, drop the clutch etc. (I know this is not a 0-60 car, but for day to day street driving, this is what I want). The car has plenty of power with the mods I have but the weight shift to the rear of the car really hurts traction / acceleration times, even at 30-40+ mph speed (we will also tweak the boost by gear settings to help with traction)

I plan to run 18x9.5 +42 wheels with PS4S tires (size will be 265/35/18 all around if I can fit them but if I can't, I'll drop down to 255/35/18).

Given the above, what is your recommendation? Thanks!

Last edited:

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
After driving a bit more, I feel a little more stiffness when cornering and when hitting speed bumps (obviously) but the overall ride quality feels almost identical to stock imo. I may not be as sensitive to these things though, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Hopefully my impressions don't change as the springs settle.
Have the Spoon Springs settled at all? Is the front drop higher than the rear? Thanks.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

(A) Swift;
(C) New Eibach Sportline (stiffer + slightly more drop than Eibach Pro Kit but less than Swifts).

My car is a daily , and this coming season I will be tracking it occasionally (complete newbie though). I am ok with stiffer suspension. I do not want to get a stiffer motor mount.

My goal is to run some good (i.e. sub-5 second) 0-60 and 5-60 times without having to do hard launches, drop the clutch etc. (I know this is not a 0-60 car, but for day to day street driving, this is what I want). The car has plenty of power with the mods I have but the weight shift to the rear of the car really hurts traction / acceleration times, even at 30-40+ mph speed (we will also tweak the boost by gear settings to help with traction)

I plan to run 18x9.5 +42 wheels with PS4S tires (size will be 265/35/18 all around if I can fit them but if I can't, I'll drop down to 255/35/18).

I recommend staying stock lol. Wish I had. I don't care for the way the prokit feels...looks nice, but don't like the feel at all.

I had no issues launching the car on stock suspension...but then again, I'm running ktuner.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

(A) Swift;

oh and if you can find someone that's had both prokit and swift, or any of those combinations, check with them. I think boosted had prokit then went to swift...I believe he likes swift more.

edit, yeah, he has swift now. I know he likes them more...but they will be more stiff:
https://www.civicx.com/threads/fk8-master-spring-thread.13848/page-28#post-532062
Sponsored