FK8 Master Spring Thread!

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
Is it that hard to make a spring? For me, they are all the same.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda CR-Z & 2006 Honda S2000
Country flag
It can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it. But lets break down the CTR and see why it would be a difficult task in this particular case:

First of all lets talk about the damper, a standard damper has set dampening rates (compression and rebound) which lets say in a perfect system don't change. However most systems aren't perfect and they tend to vary here and there. On top of that the FK8 has 3 settings that adjust dampening rates (comfort, standard, and +R) which changes these rates. So you're looking at 3 different compression rates and 3 different rebound rates, plus or minus margins of error. On top of that the oil within dampers behave differently depending on basically temperature. You can't calculate all these setting so you take the 3 settings and an optimal range of use.

Now lets go with springs, you have a choice of going with a progressive or linear rate. Again spring rates aren't perfectly set but you can approximate as much as possible. Ideally a progressive spring rate can be matched perfectly to improve performance and comfort but with so many driving styles an educated average can give a good range of performance with a linear spring rate. You generally want to go with a stiffer rate to reduce body roll and improve the performance "feel." Depending on the characteristics of the chassis, whether its prone to over steer or under steer you can adjust this by stiffening settings. You also want to select a spring rate that will work well with the damper, not something so stiff or soft that it over-exerts or bottoms out your damper. Selecting a rate without taking the damper into account gives you springs that ruin your shocks prematurely, obviously OEM spring rates will maximize damper life but there are ways to get a happy medium. Last thing to consider with the spring rate is the material, not all materials are made the same so using a stronger material means you can save on weight to achieve the same spring rate. It may also perform better under stress and be less prone to spring bind or deform over time.

Lastly you'll be adjusting the overall static height of the car. You have to select a height that is ideal, enough to lower the center of gravity but not too much that you throw your suspension geometry out of whack. Since the shock and strut system is set you also have to make sure to take the total weight of the car and weight distribution.

So... if you want to make springs that takes all of that into account then its complicated. But a company could release a set of springs that only takes some factors into consideration. This all makes a difference and distinguishes springs that are sell for $100 and others that can cost several hundred dollars.

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
sorry just realized I went on a mini rant lol, wasn't intended for you just wanted to dive deep into what really goes into making a good set of springs

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Eibach has a part number for their Pro-Kit (E10-40-036-03-22), and released preliminary specs.

1 inch drop all around with confirmed fitment with the magnetic suspension!

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Spoke with Swift Springs, they plan on having their Spec-R Springs in and ready to ship for December. I should have spring rates and drop by the end of this month with pre-orders available then.

I know some people saw a set of Swift Springs for Raceline for the Super Street FF Battle but I was told those were s custom set designed with an extreme drop and spring rate for Time Attack purposes. The actual Spec-R will have a milder drop and rate to ensure proper performance with the OEM shocks.

erickreds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic si
Spoke with Swift Springs, they plan on having their Spec-R Springs in and ready to ship for December. I should have spring rates and drop by the end of this month with pre-orders available then.

I know some people saw a set of Swift Springs for Raceline for the Super Street FF Battle but I was told those were s custom set designed with an extreme drop and spring rate for Time Attack purposes. The actual Spec-R will have a milder drop and rate to ensure proper performance with the OEM shocks.
Thanks for the updates, if here's one upgrade I can't wait for it's got to be suspension .

danio

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

any news if they would be retailing these extreme drops?

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
My two cents: Stock is pretty great and I don't want to lose ground clearance. Since the dampers are active-ish they'll probably accommodate a range of springs. Probably a good move would be just to increase the spring rate by 10-15% and drop the car 10 mm. The handling will be sharper, more controlled, and the center of gravity lower, but you will still be able to get up steep driveways and you won't ruin the ride.

OP
OP
Kami Speed

Kami Speed

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Billy @ Kami
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kamispeed.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Swift sent us this picture of the final Spec R springs. Don't have spring rates or an exact date of release, buttttt it will be a true 1 inch drop all around and the first batch will be arriving early next year.

Also we were given the green light to start taking pre-orders :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Master Spring Thread! 20171202_
Sponsored