First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
hello,
I did not find a post in regards to this but was looking at all the FMIC (front mount intercoolers) and comparing to see which ones the best in listed categories. I also would like owners inputs on the listed categories such as why they chose the make/model/pipes and Where they purchased them from as well as Best pricing they were able to get. also on the poll add any non listed FMIC and I can add to the poll

1. Pricing (with or without pipes)
2. Density
3. Quality
4. Fitment
5. Cooling efficiency
6. Warranty/Experience with Customer service and install guide (simple but counts)
Owners respond to below----------
7. Vendor purchase price and reason for purchase from said vendor. (before and after shipping applied)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I went with Mishi because there wasn't too many to choose from at the time. I don't prefer one brand over another. Had there been more options at the time it was purchased, I probably would've chosen something a a little cheaper. It works for what my car is used for which is mostly commute/fun drives. No regrets here.

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I went with PERRIN because I am a former Subaru WRX STi owner and I really liked their stuff for the Subaru crowd. Their design seems well thought out and I liked the presentation of their data in the thread they had here.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/perrin-intercooler-for-the-type-r-test-results-inside.42204/
Stats
OEM Core size 26.77” x 5.62” x 2.52” Volume 379 cu-in Cooling Surface area 150sq-in
PERRIN Core size 26.00” x 8.50” x 3.15” Volume 696 cu-in Cooling Surface area 221sq-in

Compared to the competition, we have a larger volume and larger surface area compared to most. One has larger volume (but too thick in our opinion) but they also have a smaller surface area. One has more surface area (but blocked by the bumper beam) but is a smaller volume. We feel we have the best blend of volume and surface and it shows with our HP results.
The PERRIN doesn't seem as popular as PRL or Mishimoto but I'm satisfied with my purchase. I got a decent deal over Black Friday. I'll have to look up the invoice in order to post it, but its not like the pricing is still valid now anyways.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Has anyone had both the Perrin and PRL intercoolers? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the two. Although there is lots of personal testimony regarding the PRL intercooler (as well as some numbers from PRL themselves), there doesn't seem to be much personal testimony from Perrin owners (though there is very thorough numbers from Perrin). I'd be interested to know if anyone has tested both of them. As of now I'm leaning towards PRL for purchase since it is older and well liked, but waiting until 27Won releases info about theirs before I pull the trigger.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone had both the Perrin and PRL intercoolers? I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the two. Although there is lots of personal testimony regarding the PRL intercooler (as well as some numbers from PRL themselves), there doesn't seem to be much personal testimony from Perrin owners (though there is very thorough numbers from Perrin). I'd be interested to know if anyone has tested both of them. As of now I'm leaning towards PRL for purchase since it is older and well liked, but waiting until 27Won releases info about theirs before I pull the trigger.
We have a few blogs up on our kit you can check out. I just need to find time to getting around with an update. You can also check out our L15 FMIC testing as those same test methods where used for the FK8. The biggest thing about our kit is our integrated air foils.

OP
OP
CTR_Mike_FK8

CTR_Mike_FK8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
We have a few blogs up on our kit you can check out. I just need to find time to getting around with an update. You can also check out our L15 FMIC testing as those same test methods where used for the FK8. The biggest thing about our kit is our integrated air foils.
Where’s the link ?

Benb870

CTR 23172 Midnight Express
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 &2006 Lotus Elise
Country flag
I went with a Wagner IC

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

lestat2369

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR/GTR/MX5
Country flag
4579DA6C-1E50-4E77-92A5-11DF47C82039.jpeg
0A2C03FA-2D2A-4D33-A988-F400A456CD46.jpeg

Nice Benb870. Same here. Very happy with the Wagner IC so far.
Hi,
How is the fitment on the wagner..any cutting required? pipes fit snug? also is there room for the upgraded Rad? Cheers!!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey there lestat,

Fitment on the Wagner was fine. Just needed to trim the tabs off the OEM rubber IC surround, which wasn’t a big deal. Install walkthrough here.

Switched (2) of the supplied screw type hose clamps to T-bolt clamps documented here to address a mild boost leak that wouldn’t go away.

Koyorad is compatible with Wagner Intercooler. Just need to grind down a small portion of the radiator frame so it doesn’t rub against one of the silicone hoses. Documented the needed adjustments here.

The complete Koyorad installation walkthrough begins here.

I will be upgrading to a PWR race radiator soon and will post that as well. TBD whether it will be compatible with the Wagner silicone hoses, but am hopeful.

If interested, a full table of contents to a variety of build topics with clickable links can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the first post here.

Turbo boost leak check, which is highly recommended following any FMIC change
Begins here
:)

Hi,
How is the fitment on the wagner..any cutting required? pipes fit snug? also is there room for the upgraded Rad? Cheers!!
Sponsored