FK7 Blown Turbo. Drive it or tow to shop?

Spooler714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
FK7 Blown Turbo. Drive it or tow to shop? Any suggestions? Will it do anymore damage if i drive it to the shop?

The shop is about 94 miles away. I'm leaning towards towing..
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
100% tow, especially if it's 94 miles away then it's a no brainier. Did your turbo blow from mods or did it just blow by a freak accident?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
With a conservative 19/21 base map? Any details on what lead up to the blown turbo? This is kind of concerning for us KTuner users. Thanks for any information you're able to add.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely tow it. A turbo swap isn't super difficult to do, a 94 mile tow+ shop labor is going to add up. Look on the bright side, great opportunity to upgrade!

OP
OP
Spooler714

Spooler714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Plus a ton of abuse?
Negative on Abuse. I was on the freeway. I had to change lanes so I downshifted instead of flooring 5th gear because of the rods in the hatch is weaker. After driving home I notice the knock control was about 1.20.. usually its at 0.49 - 0.62 ish max.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Negative on Abuse. I was on the freeway. I had to change lanes so I downshifted instead of flooring 5th gear because of the rods in the hatch is weaker. After driving home I notice the knock control was about 1.20.. usually its at 0.49 - 0.62 ish max.
Are you sure it's a blown turbo and not a loose coupler. Why do you think its blown? It's not making any boost?

Check the clamps by the throttle body first. That one seem to come off first

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Also since you have KTuner, you can see how much boost you're making if you get tunerview for the headunit or you have an Android phone to connect to the KTuner. That can help confirm that the turbo is blown. And if it is a turbo, swap in an upgraded one imo, no point in shelling out $$ for a factory turbo at this point. It'll do you good considering you're already running flex fuel, FBO, and KTuner.

OP
OP
Spooler714

Spooler714

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you sure it's a blown turbo and not a loose coupler. Why do you think its blown? It's not making any boost?

Check the clamps by the throttle body first. That one seem to come off first
Already check the pipes. all intact nothing is loose. Everything is tight. I'm blowing out whiteish blue smoke.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whiteish blue is oil burning. What does your oil look like? Your coolant? Is there a lot of oil residue /inside/ the pipes?

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Already check the pipes. all intact nothing is loose. Everything is tight. I'm blowing out whiteish blue smoke.
Did it throw a code? I believe P0299 is low boost.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With a conservative 19/21 base map? Any details on what lead up to the blown turbo? This is kind of concerning for us KTuner users. Thanks for any information you're able to add.
not really. We have seen stock turbos go out on completely stock cars. Probably just a bad turbo is all. We aren't even pushing these turbos at 21 psi. Many many people are running 25-28 psi on these turbos. Out of the 400k turbos on the road, a few bad ones is nothing in the scheme of things

FK7 Blown Turbo. Drive it or tow to shop? Any suggestions? Will it do anymore damage if i drive it to the shop?

The shop is about 94 miles away. I'm leaning towards towing..
Are you under warranty? If so I would remove the mods to have a better shot at getting the turbo replaced under warranty