tsdobbi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So on my passenger door there are a couple of scratches on the vinyl(plastic whatever it is) (they are pretty obvious, which is why I want to fix them). So I looked up some DIY fixes. Wanted opinions on the strategy I found.

So from what I can gather the SOP is to heatgun the scratch until it starts to melt (dont burn it!) then apply a grain pad and let it cool. There were others that involved sanding, superglue to fill the scratch then a paint gun, but that seemed a little much. I've pretty much accepted the result will not be perfect, I am more going for making it less obvious there is a scratch, not perfection.

Has anyone else tackled this problem? What worked for you? Im assuming taking it to the shop to be fixed would be a significant expense over the cost of DIY.
Sponsored

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I have the same problem. I can't tell what that material on the door panel is...looks like faux carbon fiber or something? Feels like vinyl. Seems to scratch very easily. I thought about taking a heat gun to it but given the texture (the woven, twill kind of feel to it) doesn't seem like a great idea to take a heat gun to. I've tried buffing it out with plastic scratch remover- no dice. I was bummed to see no one else replied to this thread. The scratches are annoying and one is pretty deep, so I'm pissed. Best luck mate. Let me know if you try something that works and I'll keep you posted too