daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The past couple days I’ve been having issues. The first one is almost like my rpms are fluttering at 4-5k going back and forth on a pull. The other more worrisome problem is every time I press the gas from a stop at more than 10% throttle the car makes a huge jolt and I have stalled out 4 times because of it. Someone told me that I had bad gas because my k con was .89. I’m thinking it could have something to do with the trans. If anyone knows anything about this please help me out. I have a 2018 Hatchback sport t with ktuner and an Injen CAI.
Sponsored

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Welcome to the CVT world.

Don't like it?

Should of bought a manual, or a car with a real transmission.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try putting the stock intake back on.
In my short time on here, there have been several reports of the Injen CAI causing drivability issues, more so on tuned vehicles.
Oh never mind.
Just saw your other thread where you posted the same issue.

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow your is comment so helpful.
Nice.

In all seriousness, it honestly sounds like normal operation of a CVT. I believe there's an update to help curve those surges around 4-5k.

When you say "stall out" do you mean the car literally stalled out? As in the engine abruptly ceases operating and stops turning? There could be numerous reasons for that. I don't think an aftermarket air intake would cause such a serious side effect as cutting power completely, unless the MAF wasn't connected all the way or something. Again, this is merely speculation. Surely there's a MIL illuminated when this occurs. What's the code?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Look more a mods issues,

Did car do that before mod with K tuner and Injen CAL ?
Return car back original see what happen and see the dealer on warranty if need.

OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look more a mods issues,

Did car do that before mod with K tuner and Injen CAL ?
Return car back original see what happen and see the dealer on warranty if need.
Car was fine before I put anything on it. I had the CAI for 2000 miles before adding ktuner and it was ok. The problem is better now so I think it was the gas but if it did have to do with a mod I think it was the tune.

OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice.

In all seriousness, it honestly sounds like normal operation of a CVT. I believe there's an update to help curve those surges around 4-5k.

When you say "stall out" do you mean the car literally stalled out? As in the engine abruptly ceases operating and stops turning? There could be numerous reasons for that. I don't think an aftermarket air intake would cause such a serious side effect as cutting power completely, unless the MAF wasn't connected all the way or something. Again, this is merely speculation. Surely there's a MIL illuminated when this occurs. What's the code?
Yes by stall out I meant the engine cut off completely.

And oddly there was no code at all the 4 times it happened.

The MAF sensor would have put off a code. I did have a MAF code a week prior but I think it was from water after a car wash because I haven’t had any other issues with it.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Definitely try taking off the injen intake. Those are known to cause issues. I have a CVT and that doesn’t sound like normal operation at all.
Mine is also CVT and I've taken the car to the dealership while it was under warranty in 2016 and was told it's normal operation of a belt driven transmission.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There are tons of posts here describing these surge issues here.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes by stall out I meant the engine cut off completely.

And oddly there was no code at all the 4 times it happened.

The MAF sensor would have put off a code. I did have a MAF code a week prior but I think it was from water after a car wash because I haven’t had any other issues with it.
That is very odd.

The computer should be able to adjust spark timing and fuel delivery keeping the engine running, unless there is a missing input signal from a sensor somewhere. A misfire would cause a flashing CEL and may not be an active code once the car is started again. Some scan tools can show pending codes and/or code history. A factory scan tool can show everything.

Return the vehicle to stock and take it in. The engine stalling is a serious safety issue that should not be over looked. Also, that's one hell of a lawsuit if anything were to happen. Which is why it's mind-boggling the car's computer cannot prevent a complete shut down.

As my Engine Computer Control Systems professor says;
"The manufacturer paid engineers millions of dollars to design that air intake system for that particular vehicle to achieve maximum performance and fuel economy. Don't F with it."

Edit:
Unmetered air or an air restriction could cause a stalling issue as the computer would try to protect the engine from blowing up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daltonh10

daltonh10

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is very odd.

The computer should be able to adjust spark timing and fuel delivery keeping the engine running, unless there is a missing input signal from a sensor somewhere. A misfire would cause a flashing CEL and may not be an active code once the car is started again. Some scan tools can show pending codes and/or code history. A factory scan tool can show everything.

Return the vehicle to stock and take it in. The engine stalling is a serious safety issue that should not be over looked. Also, that's one hell of a lawsuit if anything were to happen. Which is why it's mind-boggling the car's computer cannot prevent a complete shut down.

As my Engine Computer Control Systems professor says;
"The manufacturer paid engineers millions of dollars to design that air intake system for that particular vehicle to achieve maximum performance and fuel economy. Don't F with it."

Edit:
Unmetered air or an air restriction could cause a stalling issue as the computer would try to protect the engine from blowing up.
Don’t know if you saw my other thread but it’s back to normal now after refilling and treating gas.

Plan is to run out one more tank and then hope it’s completely back to normal.

If all goes well I’m thinking about putting the tune back on but just running the stage 0 or 1.

Thanks for your help.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Don’t know if you saw my other thread but it’s back to normal now after refilling and treating gas.

Plan is to run out one more tank and then hope it’s completely back to normal.

If all goes well I’m thinking about putting the tune back on but just running the stage 0 or 1.

Thanks for your help.
Word.

My bad for the smartass comment, I'm slightly salty at the Civic. This car did not meet my expectations of what a Civic should be.

All the best.

Alberto1866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Would you happen to know what your fuel trims are OP? I know a lot of people have had problems with Injen CAI specifically, and if you're running rich/lean that could cause the car to hesitate and buck. Try going back to stock air filter and see if that fixes your problem, disconnect the negative battery terminal too to reset the car, the +5hp you're getting from your intake is not worth it if it is causing problems. I have an Injen intake as well but I am also properly tuned for it so I have 0 issues with it.
Sponsored