Si (FIXED) New exhaust... new smoke. Normal?

1. OP
    OP
    whoisJSR

whoisJSR Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    TL;DR (or watch I suppose) for anyone that has this issue in the future: TIGHTEN YOUR DOWNPIPE BOLTS! IF YOU BREAK ONE I SUGGEST YOU FIX IT! (That didn't happen to me; my top bolt near the valve cover (with the nut) came loose; I didn't use thread lock so I wonder if I just didn't torque it correctly). With my new tune from TSP, my newly-torqued bolts, and a check of everything else (intake, flex fuel kit, and rest of the exhaust) I not only got zero smoke after a 30-minute high-boost drive, I hit a new PB of 26 PSI! (In Las Vegas, I didn't expect to hit that number). THANKS TO COREY AND DEREK FOR HELPING ME OUT! :D

WOPSiWOT and vandalSI thanked this.
  2. WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    So torquing the DP fixed the issue or tune change, or both of those things?

whoisJSR thanked this.
  3. OP
    OP
    whoisJSR

whoisJSR Senior Member

First Name:
    James
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    I'm honestly not sure which fixed it tbh. I could go back and retune it with the base TSP Stage 2 tune, but since nobody else seemed to have that issue, and I found the loose bolt (the smoking has NOT returned btw) I assume the latter.

The next time I hook my laptop up I can take it for a drive with the base tune to see if that brings the issue back, but again, nobody else seemed to get smoke with a downpipe and Stage 2. I suspected an exhaust leak originally and found one, so I still suspect the bolt was the issue.