slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Sedan (Leased)
Country flag
In the process of installing my new sound system on my 19 Civic Sport sedan (Touchscreen/Carplay unit). Everything is in and it appears my JL Fix86 is causing some static noise through the speakers. Have any of you experienced anything similar using a Fix86 in your car?

Power and audio wires are ran separately along the sides of the car. Amp is grounded to proper bare metal ground. Am 99% sure the static is coming from the Fix. Even with Head Unit at 0 volume static comes through.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Short answer: I have no experience with that product.

But we may be able to spot the issue if you post more information. All the components, how they are connected, and their locations might shed light on the issue.

My gut says that it's a ground issue. Going to 'bare metal' can still be problematic since there's so much HondaBond used today. You can try a temporary dedicated ground wire to a factory ground point or just directly to the battery to rule them out.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

But we may be able to spot the issue if you post more information. All the components, how they are connected, and their locations might shed light on the issue.

My gut says that it's a ground issue. Going to 'bare metal' can still be problematic since there's so much HondaBond used today. You can try a temporary dedicated ground wire to a factory ground point or just directly to the battery to rule them out.
Some people have also recalibrated the fix 86 and that lowered the static.

OP
OP

slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

- Ran a 1kHz @ 0dB tone to find the HU clipping point. Came out to 23/40
- Calibrated Fix86 w/ JL test tone and HU set to 23/40
- Tuned the amp gain (Pioneer GM D8704) to 15V's (Speakers are 2.5Ohm (tested)/90W RMS, ohms law) w/ a 1kHz @ -3dB tone
- Speakers Produced Constant Static, best result but still annoyingly noticeable

- Re-calibrated Fix86 and re-tuned amp gain to 15V's with HU at 15/40 (thought maybe I was sending a bad signal from the HU so I lowered the volume)
- Static still constant and louder this time

- Re-calibrated Fix with HU at 40/40 volume
- Re-tuned amp gain to 15V's with HU at 23/40
-Static still constant and just as loud as second time.

If I unplug the RCA outs from the Fix while keeping the power to the amp/speakers, the static goes away.

If I unplug the OEM input wires from the fix the static goes away.

If turn amp gains down to the static goes away, but then my speakers aren't getting optimal power.
Some people have also recalibrated the fix 86 and that lowered the static.
I've recalibrated multiple times, and while different calibrations have resulted in varying degrees of static, it is still there

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
- Ran a 1kHz @ 0dB tone to find the HU clipping point. Came out to 23/40
- Calibrated Fix86 w/ JL test tone and HU set to 23/40
- Tuned the amp gain (Pioneer GM D8704) to 15V's (Speakers are 2.5Ohm (tested)/90W RMS, ohms law) w/ a 1kHz @ -3dB tone
- Speakers Produced Constant Static, best result but still annoyingly noticeable

- Re-calibrated Fix86 and re-tuned amp gain to 15V's with HU at 15/40 (thought maybe I was sending a bad signal from the HU so I lowered the volume)
- Static still constant and louder this time

- Re-calibrated Fix with HU at 40/40 volume
- Re-tuned amp gain to 15V's with HU at 23/40
-Static still constant and just as loud as second time.

If I unplug the RCA outs from the Fix while keeping the power to the amp/speakers, the static goes away.

If I unplug the OEM input wires from the fix the static goes away.

If turn amp gains down to the static goes away, but then my speakers aren't getting optimal power.

I've recalibrated multiple times, and while different calibrations have resulted in varying degrees of static, it is still there
If your power wires are no where near the signal wires, then it's more than likely the fix. Perhaps a bad unit. That's not the first time I've heard it about the Fix. That amp also doesn't have a bad SNR, so idk.

OP
OP

slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If your power wires are no where near the signal wires, then it's more than likely the fix. Perhaps a bad unit. That's not the first time I've heard it about the Fix. That amp also doesn't have a bad SNR, so idk.
Well I actually don't think it's a defective Fix86. I replaced the unit and the issue is still present. It's gotta be something in the HU or Fix though. Maybe a bad ground? They're both grounded to the factory harness ground wire. Didn't actually test it when I installed because it seemed sufficient for the Factory HU/sound system (No static then.), but maybe now that the signal is amplified?

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the '86 is working properly; then it does sound like the issue is with the speaker-level inputs.

Are you 100% sure that they are connected correctly?

Also... are you getting just static? Or is it a static-y signal (static and music together)?

Can you easily post a video of the sound?

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I actually don't think it's a defective Fix86. I replaced the unit and the issue is still present. It's gotta be something in the HU or Fix though. Maybe a bad ground? They're both grounded to the factory harness ground wire. Didn't actually test it when I installed because it seemed sufficient for the Factory HU/sound system (No static then.), but maybe now that the signal is amplified?
That's certainly something to try. It could certainly be a ground loop. It's gets complicated since amplified speaker signals are being used.

OP
OP

slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the '86 is working properly; then it does sound like the issue is with the speaker-level inputs.

Also... are you getting just static? Or is it a static-y signal (static and music together)?

Music comes through yes, but there is a constant static coming through as well. Even with HU volume 0 the static is there. It gets drowned out when songs with background music play like some hip hop or r&b, but with songs that have mostly vocal parts like some bob dylan for example it's definitely still there. I'll try to get a video posted tonight.

OP
OP

slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/QCu7TDR

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All I can hear is a whooshing sound like when someone fills up a helium balloon. But the whooshing seems to be shifting phase. Is that the static?

OP
OP

slothin49

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All I can hear is a whooshing sound like when someone fills up a helium balloon. But the whooshing seems to be shifting phase. Is that the static?
No those two loud whooshes are me breathing lol my bad. It’s hard to get the static on recording. There’s a definite hiss though, and if you can hear that, that’s the static I’m talking about. When the camera gets up close to the tweeter is when it’s audible. For me at least

shoegazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm.. yeah it's tough to hear.

For me...

static = a sort of white noise like a far away radio station or the sound when someone releases the mic on a walkie talkie.
crackling = random pops and clicks like a wood burning fireplace
distortion = jimi hendrix guitars, a bad youtube video where someone is screaming into the phone, etc
hum = a relatively low pitched and constant hum or buzz
hiss = constant sound like water running in an upstairs bathroom

How would you describe it based on the above? And can you do a video with the phone down by the door speaker?

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hmm.. yeah it's tough to hear.

For me...

static = a sort of white noise like a far away radio station or the sound when someone releases the mic on a walkie talkie.
crackling = random pops and clicks like a wood burning fireplace
distortion = jimi hendrix guitars, a bad youtube video where someone is screaming into the phone, etc
hum = a relatively low pitched and constant hum or buzz
hiss = constant sound like water running in an upstairs bathroom

How would you describe it based on the above? And can you do a video with the phone down by the door speaker?
Listen closely. It is audible in the video.