First Texas Honda x Hondata x FlashPro x Factory Warranty!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3CS / 2017 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,
Just wanted everyone to know that I made an appointment to drop R-00057 off at First Texas Honda Dealership in Austin, TX for my Hondata FlashPro install.
3-5 day turn around; loaner car provided; Dealer installed with factory warranty.

https://www.hondata.com/news/blogart63
Sponsored

CTRKC

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi EVO
Country flag
Hey guys,
Just wanted everyone to know that I made an appointment to drop R-00057 off at First Texas Honda Dealership in Austin, TX for my Hondata FlashPro install.
3-5 day turn around; loaner car provided; Dealer installed with factory warranty.

https://www.hondata.com/news/blogart63
That's awesome! Do they do the jailbreak there at the dealership?

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's awesome! Do they do the jailbreak there at the dealership?
No, I they ship the ECU tp Hondata for jailbreak; thats what creates the 3/5 day downtime.
They offered to do the ECU clone but its an additional $750 or more but since they are providing the loaner I don't mine the downtime.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
No, I they ship the ECU tp Hondata for jailbreak; thats what creates the 3/5 day downtime.
They offered to do the ECU clone but its an additional $750 or more but since they are providing the loaner I don't mine the downtime.
What was the price minus the clone if you don’t mind me asking? I may have to stop by the dealership next week on my way to San Antonio

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
That's awesome bro, glad you got it all figured out :)

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What was the price minus the clone if you don’t mind me asking? I may have to stop by the dealership next week on my way to San Antonio
I was quoted less than $1500 out the door, factory warranty in place.
I am in San Antonio; feel free to stop by the candy store, we have a lot of exotics in house right now.

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 HPD CR-Z - 2005 CBR1000RR - 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Do you have anything in writing from HMC stating that the factory warranty is still valid. Food for thought, your dealer does not decide what is and is not covered by warranty - HMC (Honda Motor Co) does. Your Dealer can agree to match the warranty but there is likely no way that Honda would agree to. The difference being that if you moved to another state or if you went to another dealer, your warranty would not be honored if say your computer/trans/motor failed - that is unless HMC has agreed to honor it.

If it isn't in writing and signed I would recommend getting it.

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is probably also worth mentioning the "burden of proof" is only applicable if you take your Dealer/HMC to court. That is if they notice that your computer has been tampered with, which they will.

These tunes are not a Honda product. This is the logical equivalent of saying manufacturer warranty is maintained when installing aftermarket parts. Honda has 0 incentive to do this, they stand to gain nothing. Your Dealer however does.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@kpohanka I agree with you 100%, Honda Motor Co. warranty versus what a dealer warranty’s or says they will warranty is two totally different things. But going to another level if a consumer wants to fight they always have the Magnuson Moss warranty act on their side which technically creates a loop hole for any consumer vs warranty issue if it deems aplicable to the situation.

However that part of the warranty isn’t necessarily the complete reason I’m choosing to do it thru this Honda dealer.

Looking at the pros & cons this is how I see it:

DIY, the project is roughly $1000; 100% risk on me; I have to do all the work (which I’ve never done before), car is down 4 days; shipping my responsibility; I’ll need Windows PC and last but not least....on day 5 if shit doesn’t work it’s still 100% on me.

Whereas having First Texas Honda do this project for estimated expense of $1500<or less.
Starts off with 0% zero risk for me to make a mistake; I get a vehicle to drive while they have my car; they assume all liability for installation & shipping; at the end of the day if something goes wrong they are an official Honda dealer that will support my vehicle warranty after this component is installed.

My FK8 already has aftermarket parts on it; I do not plan to stop modding it anytime soon; if I can play with my car & still have Dealer support it’s a no brained for me & my situation!

kpohanka

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sound logic. Totally makes sense from that perspective and I would definitely do the same if I had a dealer out here who did that.
I am just concerned that the dealer was deceiving you, trying to say this wouldnt affect your factory warranty. Its important that folks know this is only the case at participating dealers, which if I remember correctly is currently 2 in the nation.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am just concerned that the dealer was deceiving you, trying to say this wouldnt affect your factory warranty. Its important that folks know this is only the case at participating dealers, which if I remember correctly is currently 2 in the nation.
100% appreciated; I work in a non Honda dealership’s Service dept & totally understood your points.
IMO, the people I’ve spoken with from the dealer have been honest about everything which makes me comfortable delivering
R-00057 to them for the job.
I’ll keep everyone posted on the outcome!

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
It is probably also worth mentioning the "burden of proof" is only applicable if you take your Dealer/HMC to court. That is if they notice that your computer has been tampered with, which they will.

These tunes are not a Honda product. This is the logical equivalent of saying manufacturer warranty is maintained when installing aftermarket parts. Honda has 0 incentive to do this, they stand to gain nothing. Your Dealer however does.
Both of these are covered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 (15USC50 & 16CFR700) [FTC], and if you contact Honda directly, they will state the same.
  • The burden of proof is on the manufacturer or warranty entity, not the consumer (i.e. in order to deny a warranty claim, they must provided conclusive legal evidence the modification damaged whatever component/system is being warrantied... not probably, high likelihood, or could have, but actually did.).
    • Because the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is not a gray area, and is enforced by the FTC, manufacturers are unlikely to challenge a consumer, without the required legal evidence, as it will cost more to fight the claim by the consumer, and if the manufacturer is found liable, could face an FTC investigation and a substantial fine (far exceeding any cost of repair).
  • Most recent affirmation of the MMWA came on 2018.04.11, when the FTC ruled "warranty void" stickers on electronics are illegal and unenforceable by manufacturers, specifically citing the MMWA, as well as that it's illegal for OEMs to state:
    • "The use of [company name] parts is required to keep your . . . manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact."

Last edited: