First Post! First way to ruin my first SI!

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Greetings Internet weirdos!

Just recently purchased a brand new 2018 SI (us model) for $22.3k. I have had many Honda's in my life. My most recent Honda was a 2015 Civic LX also brand new and only owner til 65k miles (NO MODS). Then I traded that in for my now 18 SI with a 5yr 100,00 mile warranty (which was free).

After much research and driving my first 2,000 miles. It's blatantly obvious how nerfed the SI is, and quite frankly disappointing.

So should I ruin my car with some BASIC mods or leave it alone FOREVER! LOL

I've determined the only upgrades I would wanna do.

Hondata or Ktuner -
Seems everyone says Hondata is easyier if you have a laptop, and customer service is hit or miss.

While Ktuner is receiving excellent customer service reviews and now they offer v2.0 which includes a display for set up and what not.

PRL CAI -
Seems it's a unanimous decision that PRL CAI is the most ideal but is it really. Will it cause me to need a Flex fuel kit, I'm still unsure at one point someone needs a flex fuel kit.

Also add on different tires in the future.

Beyond that, I don't see myself wanting any more power/noise. This is my daily driver not a track car. Inless someone believes other benefits I missed, I'd love to hear.
Sponsored

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Let me get this straight, you came from a 2015 base civic to a 10th gen Si and think you downgraded? o_O

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
PRL CAI -
Seems it's a unanimous decision that PRL CAI is the most ideal but is it really. Will it cause me to need a Flex fuel kit, I'm still unsure at one point someone needs a flex fuel kit.
PRL RACE MAF is the way to go SRI or CAI. CAI is the best as the engine bay is heat soaked. Flex fuel is not necessary but you will need it if you want more top end. A clutch is also needed if you want more than 250-280wTQ.

I highly recommend you break in your clutch for 1000 miles

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Let me get this straight, you came from a 2015 base civic to a 10th gen Si and think you downgraded? o_O
Nah, I think he means it feels held back by Honda via tuning. There's more on tap, just need to find it.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
A set of lightweight wheels+ Re71r will transform your car . Power comes last imo.

rmalford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan WOP
Sorry for derail, but does anyone know the weight of stock 10th Si rim? 28 lbs?

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Sorry for derail, but does anyone know the weight of stock 10th Si rim? 28 lbs?
That is about right.

After much research and driving my first 2,000 miles. It's blatantly obvious how nerfed the SI is, and quite frankly disappointing.
I am not sure how you drew this conclusion.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Greetings Internet weirdos!
Welcome to the Club! Allow me to offer a different outlook/phrasing to the above. The 10th gens are the first turbo Civics. Honda is moving away from the screaming VTEC (yo) engines in favor of the more efficient turbo setup. Yes, this is a big change from previous versions. But the numbers are the numbers: New Civic reaches peak torque sooner, and stays in it longer, than previous versions.

https://motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2017/2017-honda-civic-si-first-look-review/

With 2000 miles under your belt you're now in an informed spot on what you like and don't like about the car. There is a lot of good information on here. Enjoy!

Deleted member

If you think the Si is disappointing you're driving it on the wrong roads or you bought the wrong car. The Si is a lightweight car with superb handling and a fantastic gearbox/shifter. The Si is amazing on twisty back roads. If you wanted a drag racer that is simply not what the Si is.

As for modification recommendations: Ktuner. Removing rev hang is the single most noticeable mod you can do to the car- it dramatically improves the shifting experience. The added perk of easy power gains seals the deal. After that better tires as the stock tires aren't the best.

OP
OP

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
That is about right.

I am not sure how you drew this conclusion.
Multiple ways, the turbo takes longer then I'd expect to spool up for boost causing a delay before reaching 3-4k rpm, rev hang is a pain in the ass, traction control off I feel a slight difference (possibly placebo)
Multiple reports from hondata/ktuner all agreed 100% that it really gives the SI motor a kick n the ass to get it moving. And get that turbo boosting +6psi.

Only speaking from 2k miles and alot of forum reading.

OP
OP

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Welcome to the Club! Allow me to offer a different outlook/phrasing to the above. The 10th gens are the first turbo Civics. Honda is moving away from the screaming VTEC (yo) engines in favor of the more efficient turbo setup. Yes, this is a big change from previous versions. But the numbers are the numbers: New Civic reaches peak torque sooner, and stays in it longer, than previous versions.

https://motortrend.com/cars/honda/civic/2017/2017-honda-civic-si-first-look-review/

With 2000 miles under your belt you're now in an informed spot on what you like and don't like about the car. There is a lot of good information on here. Enjoy!

Greatly appreciate the welcome!

And through my research it seems that is 100% true what your saying, the Turbo>VTech all day! But die hard Vtechers will digress.

To further clarify It seems I was a little harsh on us X Gen SI owners. I love the car, it has power, and I wouldnt change it.

But I'm sorely disappointed with the way the engine is nerfed for emissions and US laws.

OP
OP

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
If you think the Si is disappointing you're driving it on the wrong roads or you bought the wrong car. The Si is a lightweight car with superb handling and a fantastic gearbox/shifter. The Si is amazing on twisty back roads. If you wanted a drag racer that is simply not what the Si is.

As for modification recommendations: Ktuner. Removing rev hang is the single most noticeable mod you can do to the car- it dramatically improves the shifting experience. The added perk of easy power gains seals the deal. After that better tires as the stock tires aren't the best.

Right car, wrong mentality. But I realize Ktuner will make a huge difference and get me where I want

Ktuner
PRL CAI
New tires/wheels.

Seems it's all I'm gonna do then.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i was disappointed in the stock lag too.
i got ktuner.
lag is less. throttle ramp is much better. it feels like you took the training wheels off when adding ktuner and adjusting the throttle ramp and turbo ramp.

i avoided the cai due to the possibility of the dealer declaring it was the cause of engine failure due to hydro lock.
there is minimal power gain from the cai anyways(as compared to ktuner). mainly for the sound.

as for other mods.. the ktuner pushes the clutch as it is and makes the car rock! why bother shortening overall life by doing anything more on a daily driver?

SiX

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Country flag
It's a different beast, but it's also the quickest of the Civic platform I've owned. The ECU will limit you where it can---which means disabling VSA is a quick way to improve things while you decide what to modify. Plus, it always feels better once it's broken in and lubed up...my mantra.

Sponsored