First oil change at less than 3500 miles?

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Guys please don't go by no Honda oil indicator. Check the oil yourself. I'm changing mine every 3,000 miles. That indicator does nothing but assumptions.
-random internet guy

lol

Seriously though you must work for an oil company changing your oil that much.. Synthetics are good for 10-15k miles depending on how you drive. Before my wife got her HR-V we would change the oil in her Corolla every 10k miles, and even that was probably too soon.

Id do 3k if I were racing my car, but I'm not..
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Guys please don't go by no Honda oil indicator. Check the oil yourself. I'm changing mine every 3,000 miles. That indicator does nothing but assumptions.
I don't care if you waste your money, but please don't waste our valuable resources.

Speaking if assumptions, you're assuming Honda is wrong and you are right.

Honda published a technical paper explaining how the oil life monitor works and oil analyses by actual owners have proven that it is effective.

Where is your evidence to the contrary?

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
If you want to risk your engine and unnecessarily spend your money by changing your oil every 3000 miles, then knock yourself out. Please don't spread false rumors about what Honda - you know, the ones that actually designed and built the car and engine - recommend. The "remember to change your oil every 3000 miles" commercials are nothing more than oil companies trying to sell more oil. Modern engines commonly go 5000, 7500, even 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. Doing what a commercial tells you to do, at the recommendation of a company that only wants to sell more product, against what the makers of the car recommend, is just asking for trouble.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Just did my first oil change at 1500 miles, not going by the indicator.
It's all up to you in the end but this is not 1965. Oil and engines are FAR better than you clearly are willing to admit. Synthetics are at a MINIMUM good for twice the run time of dino-oil. I only changed the oil in my 2001 7th gen Civic every 12k to 15k KMs (7500 to 9300 miles). It only got replaced because the transmission died after almost 250,000 and I wanted a new CivicX. It never burned oil. (Same in my 2000 CRV and our 2010 CRV gets the maintenance minder interval of about 12000 kms)

3000 miles / 5000 kms is SUPER old school "my daddy told/taught me to do it that way" stuff. I grew up around nothing but Detroit cars and ya, back in the late 70s and 80s, my dad was correct. Let the 80s go...

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I always do my first oil change early after engine break-in. After the first change I'll go every 10k between changes. Same thing on my motorcycles, first oil change at 600 miles and then once per season after that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just did my first oil change at 1500 miles, not going by the indicator.
I guess you didn't read the umpteen posts here on the special break in oil (high moly content) Honda uses. Even dealers (who love making extra money) tell you they won't change the oil on that first change til MM hits around 15%.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Honda can recommend whatever they like to the consumer. I've maintained all my vehicles over the years the same way and have never had an issue with oil consumption or compromised reliability.

If Honda wants to do the maintenance on my vehicle free of charge, then I will go by their schedule. When it's my car and my money that I'm shelling out, I'll call the shots.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda can recommend whatever they like to the consumer. I've maintained all my vehicles over the years the same way and have never had an issue with oil consumption or compromised reliability.

If Honda wants to do the maintenance on my vehicle free of charge, then I will go by their schedule. When it's my car and my money that I'm shelling out, I'll call the shots.
If there was an issue with the service intervals and premature failure or wear on their products, Honda would have been sued by now. MM has been around for over a decade now. But you are clearly right so I will bow out of this aspect of the thread...

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I never said I was right, I said it was my car. You are more than welcome to follow whatever recommended maintenance schedule you like. If you want to make the payments on my car then you can maintain it however you like.

grifocx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
That’s not really the case. There is a pretty good white paper that explains how the MM works. It is based on RPMs and oil temps. I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand. If you’re have 3,000 miles of interstate driving you likely don’t need to change it. If you’re have 3K miles of 5 min commute drives, that oil is going to be in much worse shape.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you want to risk your engine and unnecessarily spend your money by changing your oil every 3000 miles, then knock yourself out. Please don't spread false rumors about what Honda - you know, the ones that actually designed and built the car and engine - recommend. The "remember to change your oil every 3000 miles" commercials are nothing more than oil companies trying to sell more oil. Modern engines commonly go 5000, 7500, even 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. Doing what a commercial tells you to do, at the recommendation of a company that only wants to sell more product, against what the makers of the car recommend, is just asking for trouble.
Ive rebuilt motors, I have gone through it all. Ill never put my motor through 10,000 miles before an oil change. If its a lease I could care less. Im at 2600 miles and have a 40% indicator. I do a lot of city driving so yes I will change my oil every 3k. Ive never had a single issue from rebuilt motors putting 100,00 miles into them. I want you too do 10,000 miles in city driving and see if your oil last that long. I also do some hard driving as well.

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Exactly my point! Maybe I should have been a little more clear like you

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If there was an issue with the service intervals and premature failure or wear on their products, Honda would have been sued by now. MM has been around for over a decade now. But you are clearly right so I will bow out of this aspect of the thread...
Ive owned a 2015 civic si, and that motor alone use to burn oil and it was new. Ive followed there "first break in at 5k miles. for them to tell me oh you barely have oil in your car you should have taken it in sooner. LMAO it was a leas so I could care less. They told me 5k or 15%. Honda motors burn oil naturally. Not sure on this new si motor but previous motors have. That's why my name is burningoilagain. People that are deep into the honda game would truly understand.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im at 2600 miles and have a 40% indicator. I do a lot of city driving so yes I will change my oil every 3k.
It's your money dude.

I want you too do 10,000 miles in city driving and see if your oil last that long. I also do some hard driving as well.
Challenge LONG past accepted. I live in a small city with little in the way of high speed feeders to get around. NEVER had an issue. Average oil change distance is about 12,500 KMs

Exactly my point! Maybe I should have been a little more clear like you
You can do whatever you want to your car and with your money. Being paranoid doesn't make you right, it just spends your money faster.

Ive owned a 2015 civic si, and that motor alone use to burn oil and it was new. Ive followed there "first break in at 5k miles. for them to tell me oh you barely have oil in your car you should have taken it in sooner.
Considering that you should be checking your oil level at least once a month (Because you really don't know and something very weird can happen and you not immediately know), not sure how this is Honda's fault, lease or not.

Honda motors burn oil naturally. Not sure on this new si motor but previous motors have. That's why my name is burningoilagain. People that are deep into the honda game would truly understand.
Oh, so it is down to that is it? The ONLY cars I have bought are Hondas. 5 now so far. Only ONE ever burned oil and that was a 1989 Accord EX-i that I drove the piss out of. Two CRVs and two Civics (Counting this new 2017). And for driving time on them, almost 1,000,000 KMs across all 5. The 2000 CR-V drove from New Brunswick to Florida TWICE. So, ya, I am DEEP in and KNOW that FAR more the average, Honda motors are the best on the planet. Now automatic transmissions from the early 2000s??? That is a whole other issue...
Sponsored