First mods??

Lush2546

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
I am about to graduate high school and for college I got a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport. Several people I know are enthusiasts and I want to start getting into stuff like performance and what not. I’ve been working and I also plan on working a lot in the summer. My car is not a manual transmission and I’ve seen a lot of people say that cvt cars are hard to modify. I was just wondering if I should even bother and if so, what a good started mod would be? Thank you all!
Sponsored

4Pocky

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic hatch
Country flag
Yeah its worth it man
Basic mods :
Window tint
Exhaust from (Greddy, Borla, HKS) Priced from $, $$, $$$
PRL intake
New rims
Ktuner or Hondata tune

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There are a ton of appearance mods you can do.

Upgrading the tires and rear sway bar will help the handling.

Best upgrade for power is an ECU tuner like FlashPro or Ktuner.

OP
OP
Lush2546

Lush2546

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are a ton of appearance mods you can do.

Upgrading the tires and rear sway bar will help the handling.

Best upgrade for power is an ECU tuner like FlashPro or Ktuner.
Will the tune void warranty?

plzhalp

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch
Country flag
Yeah its worth it man
Basic mods :
Window tint
Exhaust from (Greddy, Borla, HKS) Priced from $, $$, $$$
PRL intake
New rims
Ktuner or Hondata tune
whats the going rate for tints on the sport hatch?

Jazzek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EXT, 2003 Taco
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Without messing with things that require a tune you can:
-Upgrade wheels/tires/brakes
-Modify suspension/chassis to desired feel
-Swap catback exhaust components
-Enhance cosmetics (interior & exterior), especially tint and lighting all around
-Replace intake for minor performance/sound gains

My personal advice is to gradually make the car appear like you want and comfortable to drive. Then, as you build time in the car, add mods to make it handle the way you prefer. Finally, make performance upgrades that you can both technically and financially bear.
No reason to go all in on performance mods before you've got experience with the base model limits. The CVT will not be your ceiling - the way you drive however will.

OP
OP
Lush2546

Lush2546

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without messing with things that require a tune you can:
-Upgrade wheels/tires/brakes
-Modify suspension/chassis to desired feel
-Swap catback exhaust components
-Enhance cosmetics (interior & exterior), especially tint and lighting all around
-Replace intake for minor performance/sound gains

My personal advice is to gradually make the car appear like you want and comfortable to drive. Then, as you build time in the car, add mods to make it handle the way you prefer. Finally, make performance upgrades that you can both technically and financially bear.
No reason to go all in on performance mods before you've got experience with the base model limits. The CVT will not be your ceiling - the way you drive however will.
Great advice, thank you. One more thing. The biggest mod that I want that deals with just looks and not performance would be a spoiler like those that come on the type r. I’ve done research and it’s kind of turned me off. I don’t want a shrunken version or one that will rattle and fly off. What would your advice on that be?

Jazzek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EXT, 2003 Taco
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great advice, thank you. One more thing. The biggest mod that I want that deals with just looks and not performance would be a spoiler like those that come on the type r. I’ve done research and it’s kind of turned me off. I don’t want a shrunken version or one that will rattle and fly off. What would your advice on that be?
If you don't like the look regardless of performance, you've answered your own question.
There's a cliché: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
One could apply that in principle to patience. You've got a new car - wait to make decisions. Focus on yourself, then the vehicle.
Not to sound condescending, go for better tires and personalized cosmetics at will!

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What tires would you recommend?
I personally like Continental ExtremeContact DW. It's been awhile since my last set.

As for mods...

IMO unless you're hitting the track POWER seems a waste. What are you really gaining? Unless you just want your CivicX to be louder?

I don't know if it's my age or I got over it but I tend to just focus on APPEARANCE like tint, SUSPENSION like springs/sway bar, TIRES, INFOTAINMENT like speakers in this order.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
IMO unless you're hitting the track POWER seems a waste. What are you really gaining? Unless you just want your CivicX to be louder?
Have to disagree with you there to an extent. While I recommend cosmetic and suspension changes as the first two areas to upgrade, adding power doesn't mean just adding sound. Sure, an SRI is pretty much for sound only but uploading a flash tune to the turbo gives fairly substantial drivability and acceleration gains. The downside is the power gains could also affect longevity of some components.

AegeanKing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
I am about to graduate high school and for college I got a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport. Several people I know are enthusiasts and I want to start getting into stuff like performance and what not. I’ve been working and I also plan on working a lot in the summer. My car is not a manual transmission and I’ve seen a lot of people say that cvt cars are hard to modify. I was just wondering if I should even bother and if so, what a good started mod would be? Thank you all!
I don’t mean to condescend but is this YOUR car? That would be one hell of a purchase right out of high school. So whoever payed for it, keep them in mind. Again if you’re going to college, that’s money too. Being a student is expensive. But maybe you’ve got that one covered as well. I don’t care either way but keep these things in mind. Also, consider what kind of benefit you’d really be getting out of modifying the car.

Regarding Power:

Since you’ve got the CVT, there’s a threshold of power you’ll want to stay behind. Although I doubt you could reach it without spending way more than necessary on a car like this. You’re looking at around 230hp as a maximum given the aftermarket for these cars right now. This could be done by getting a cat-back exhaust, k-tuner or Hondata flash, downpipe, intercooler. These are big money upgrades, think about $4,000 installed if you don’t own any tools or know how to work on cars.

Cosmetic:

There’s a few things you can do here. Upgrade to HID’s, LED’s, clear side markers, smoke tinting if that’s your thing.

Suspension:

There’s a few type R suspension parts that will fit on the car. You might look at lowering springs (as long as the spring rate is higher), not sure if coil overs are out for this car yet but those are a great choice.

Wheels/Tires:

As strange as it may seem this is your BEST bet for improving the performance of the car. Reducing the rotating mass and adding a higher coefficient of friction between the car and the road will yield you better cornering and stopping power, and acceleration. Look to get some ultra-high performance all season or summer tires.
My pick for wheels: XXR 559 18x8.5

Hope this helps you with any decisions.

OP
OP
Lush2546

Lush2546

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t mean to condescend but is this YOUR car? That would be one hell of a purchase right out of high school. So whoever payed for it, keep them in mind. Again if you’re going to college, that’s money too. Being a student is expensive. But maybe you’ve got that one covered as well. I don’t care either way but keep these things in mind. Also, consider what kind of benefit you’d really be getting out of modifying the car.

Regarding Power:

Since you’ve got the CVT, there’s a threshold of power you’ll want to stay behind. Although I doubt you could reach it without spending way more than necessary on a car like this. You’re looking at around 230hp as a maximum given the aftermarket for these cars right now. This could be done by getting a cat-back exhaust, k-tuner or Hondata flash, downpipe, intercooler. These are big money upgrades, think about $4,000 installed if you don’t own any tools or know how to work on cars.

Cosmetic:

There’s a few things you can do here. Upgrade to HID’s, LED’s, clear side markers, smoke tinting if that’s your thing.

Suspension:

There’s a few type R suspension parts that will fit on the car. You might look at lowering springs (as long as the spring rate is higher), not sure if coil overs are out for this car yet but those are a great choice.

Wheels/Tires:

As strange as it may seem this is your BEST bet for improving the performance of the car. Reducing the rotating mass and adding a higher coefficient of friction between the car and the road will yield you better cornering and stopping power, and acceleration. Look to get some ultra-high performance all season or summer tires.
My pick for wheels: XXR 559 18x8.5

Hope this helps you with any decisions.
Thank you man I appreciate it
Sponsored