First manual, jerky shifting, slow rev matching, weird noises

Speaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
This is my first manual car, so I don't have much experience with this, but while driving when I push in the clutch, and move the knob from 1st to 2nd gear the car seems to fail to synchronize the gears and the RPM will just keep dropping until I let off the clutch, which will then spike the RPM back up as everything is forced to synchronize, resulting in a pretty jerky shift. But, if I hit around 18 mph or around 4000 RPM before shifting into 2nd gear it seems to synchronize and holds the RPM fine and results in a smooth shift.

Also, I don't normally skip gears when up shifting, but I have tried going from 4th to 6th a few times, and each time the same thing happens where it doesn't synchronize and the RPM will just keep dropping, and letting off the clutch spikes the RPM back up, resulting in another jerky shift.

Another weird thing is when downshifting from 4th to 2nd. The auto-rev matching always works flawlessly except when going from 4th to 2nd. There seems to be a pretty significant delay compared to any other downshift.

Lastly, when I do get to around 18 mph or so while in first gear, and completely let off the throttle I can hear some weird kind of whirring noise. Not sure how else to explain it.

Has anyone experienced any of these things? Is this normal or what?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Acurately

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3G Acura TL, 1G Acura MDX
Country flag
For the 1-2 shift you are either shifting slow or letting out the clutch to slow, the rpms drop to much and you bring them back up with clutch, you have to work on your timing or add a bit of throttle. Auto rev match system doesn't work all the time, the reason it's smooth at 4000rpm is it's within the range of "auto rev match" I think you can try 3500 rpm and it will hold rpm for 2nd gear.

If you downshift below 2000rpm "auto rev match" wont work (unless in +R mode)

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
You're not supposed to rely on the automatic rev-match when upshifting. Just shift normally and dont wait for anything. The reason why it only works above 2k RPM is because it's meant to be used as a replacement for revmatching during heel/toe downshifting at speed.

As far as the whirring noise, everyone has it. Personally it sounds like a metal on metal rattle. Seems normal and harmless.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my first manual car too, so I know your feel. ;)

I’m not anywhere near perfect and I don’t intend to sound like I am, but just sharing what has been working for me.

For first to second, I am revved up at about 4K RPM prior to clutching in and shifting into 2nd. Then, I slowly will release the clutch to the note point and then add gas while releasing the clutch. Generally it’s smooth. Is it fast? Not particularly, but right now I’m not focused on lightning fast shifting.

If I downshift I generally just go sequentially from gear to gear unless I know I will have to come to a complete stop (light just turned red for example), in which case I just let off the gas and coast in gear until I get to about 10 mph which is when I clutch in and shift it into neutral while the light changes. I downshift at about 2.4 to 3k RPM so the auto rev match works as I am not the greatest at doing it myself yet.

I’ve found that this car likes to be revved, and I aim to keep it around 3k RPM if possible. I usually upshift around 4K RPM.

Best of luck with your driving from another manual newbie. :thumbsup:

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
This is my first manual car, so I don't have much experience with this, but while driving when I push in the clutch, and move the knob from 1st to 2nd gear the car seems to fail to synchronize the gears and the RPM will just keep dropping until I let off the clutch, which will then spike the RPM back up as everything is forced to synchronize, resulting in a pretty jerky shift. But, if I hit around 18 mph or around 4000 RPM before shifting into 2nd gear it seems to synchronize and holds the RPM fine and results in a smooth shift.

Also, I don't normally skip gears when up shifting, but I have tried going from 4th to 6th a few times, and each time the same thing happens where it doesn't synchronize and the RPM will just keep dropping, and letting off the clutch spikes the RPM back up, resulting in another jerky shift.

Another weird thing is when downshifting from 4th to 2nd. The auto-rev matching always works flawlessly except when going from 4th to 2nd. There seems to be a pretty significant delay compared to any other downshift.

Lastly, when I do get to around 18 mph or so while in first gear, and completely let off the throttle I can hear some weird kind of whirring noise. Not sure how else to explain it.

Has anyone experienced any of these things? Is this normal or what?
Do you think the whirring sound could be your turbo blow off valve?
Sponsored

Last edited: